Open Phones: Green Taxi Spotting

Monday, November 18, 2013

We're taking your calls about the outer-boro (aka GREEN) taxis. Are you seeing them? Are they helping fill a transportation need in your neighborhood? Call in and say where you've seen them and where you would like to see them more often.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Luca from south street seaport

Just spotted a green cab on Front St between Maiden Lane and Wall St, near the South Street Seaport. This seems to be a popular spot for yellow cabs, black cars and even ambulances when they are off duty.

Nov. 22 2013 11:10 AM
KH

In September I saw green cabs heading north with us on route 87/the Major Deegan Expwy in the Bronx. At least 5 of them.

Nov. 18 2013 08:11 PM
David from Harlem

Lots in Sugar Hill, Harlem and Washington Hieghts. Yet to ride in one, though.

Nov. 18 2013 07:11 PM
coco

Harlem, 118th st and Fredrick Douglas Ave.
I've been seeing many of the new green cabs. In the past you could only count on a yellow cab picking you up if you we're on the downtown side of the street. Made for a lot of u-turns!

Nov. 18 2013 12:16 PM
Krista from Bed Stuy

No green cabs in Bed Stuy!

Nov. 18 2013 12:11 PM
Judithanne from lovely Park Slope

I live in the "south slope" and have seen the green taxi's on 9th St. and 5th Ave in front of a car service!! NO YELLOW TAXIS come to my 'hood...we have always had to use car service to go to the airport, etc.

People argue with me saying that they can hail a yellow cab around here...but you can't. They do appear down near BAM, which is great...but when the trains are messed up at Jay Street you can't even THINK of getting a yellow cab to take you from there to Park Slope when you climb out of the station at night at Metro-tech. I hope they get the word out the next time the trains are out cuz it will be a welcome relief. I was teaching at a non-profit at Coney Island and the cars that beep at you outside the subway terminal are still there in force...not a green taxi in site! In the summer I imagine they will be more available.
FYI:Be wary of Uber. They charged my cousin $80 to go from JFK to Park Slope. That is a metered cab ride of $35-40 max!!

Nov. 18 2013 12:07 PM
sanford and cathleen leff from Park Slope, 5th Ave & 4th street

In Park Slope, Brooklyn, I rarely see a green car. I know of no taxi stand nearby. In this neighborhood, car services like Eastern and Family are excellent. They arrive promptly, go anywhere for a fair price, and they know the city.

Nov. 18 2013 12:06 PM
Becca from Riverdale

They are all over Riverdale, east of the Henry Hudson Parkway. It's great that they are ready at the 1 train stations to ferry people up our many hills. Livery cabs always seem shady and even worse are the creepy non-TLC cars offering rides at 231st St. The green cabs are a terrific improvement. Also, coincidentally, I see several every morning around Columbia-Presbyterian at 165th and Broadway.

Nov. 18 2013 12:04 PM
Mike from Williamsburg

I see them in eastern Williamsburg sometimes. On Saturday I took a yellow cab to Crown Heights and it took a long way involving getting on the BQE for one exit. I bet a Green cab would know how to get through Brooklyn better. I wonder how long until people prefer green ones for that.

Nov. 18 2013 12:02 PM
Robert from NYC

Oh dear, pretentious, snobby Lopate time. Let me move toe WQXR.

Nov. 18 2013 12:01 PM
Robert from NYC

It's time the Taxi Commission send out inspectors as pretend customer, if they don't already have them, to check out the yellow cabs. I'm tired of them stopping with doors locked, ask first before I get in and decide wether or not to take me. Some even want to convince me to go off meter claiming they turned off the meter already. This is becoming more and more common, it's not a once-in-awhile thing, it's gotten out of hand and I believe illegal. This also occurs at any hour. I know the shift change is, or was?, at 4 pm but they do this a 9 am, 2 pm. It's not fair... fare?

Nov. 18 2013 11:58 AM
Jessie Henshaw from way uptown

I see them on Ft Washington Ave, but wouldn't expect them on Broadway. We still have the black cars, and other colors, whatever is put in service too!

Nov. 18 2013 11:57 AM
Amy from Brooklyn

I requested a taxi through Uber to Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, and a green cab arrived. I had never seen one before in my neighborhood or any of the nearby areas I frequent.

Nov. 18 2013 11:57 AM
Randi

I live in Sheepshead Bay/Coney Island and see green cabs at the B/Q train Sheepshead Bay station.

Nov. 18 2013 11:55 AM
Adrienne from Upper Manhattan

I tried to hail a green cab outside of Columbia Presbyterian Hospital the other night heading downtown. The driver rolled down his window, asked where I was going and then told me, "take the 1!"

A yellow cab came up minutes later and I took that where I needed to go.

Nov. 18 2013 11:52 AM
John from NYC

I teach at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn.

I see a yellow cab about once a year.

I have not yet seen a green cab.

Nov. 18 2013 11:52 AM
Robert from NYC

I do see them on the Morris Avenue side drive-in entrance to Lincoln Hospital waiting for customers. They line up with the other non-yellow cabs.

Nov. 18 2013 11:52 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretenious Hudson Heights

If there were more buses, there would be fewer taxis.

I haven't taken a taxi in 10 years. The bus and subway and walking are good enough.

Nov. 18 2013 11:42 AM
Miscellaneous from NYC

I live on the Midwood/Marine Park (Brooklyn) border. We don't have yellow cabs in our neighborhood (except that they do park there sometimes at night), but neither have I seen any green cabs. We do have a preponderance of car services in the neighborhood, so that may be the reason. I truly wish yellow cabs were available in all five boroughs, but, then, I also wish I'd win the Powerball - but I don't see either happening in my lifetime.

Nov. 18 2013 11:34 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretenious Hudson Heights

"Bonus: no partitions in any of the ones I've hailed, so it feels a bit more human."

How long is that going to last?

How many drivers will be murdered by street hails until that changes?

Nov. 18 2013 11:10 AM
chris from Manhattan (Harlem)

I'm seeing them (and occasionally taking them) in Central Harlem in the area from Mount Morris Park over to Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th). I've taken more than a few from that area down to 59th, where I work. Bonus: no partitions in any of the ones I've hailed, so it feels a bit more human.

Nov. 18 2013 11:05 AM
Jeanette from Brooklyn

I live and work in Flatbush/Ditmas Park. I have not seen any of these cabs here. My primary path each day is along Flatbush ave between Ditmas and Ave H. I often use the Niwkirk Ave Q, and have not seen them there (late night having a few cabs hanging out at the train stations would be great!) Also, I am often in Leferts Garden by the Botanic Gardens and have never seen them their either.

Nov. 18 2013 10:54 AM
Robert from NYC

Have taken one home to East Village from the Bronx (Mott Haven) a week ago. They are there.

Nov. 18 2013 10:51 AM
Aaron from Carroll Gardens

Have been seeing them more often in the past few weeks. In Carroll Gardens, mostly on the weekends.

Nov. 18 2013 10:05 AM