Open Phones: Exit Sandman

Friday, September 27, 2013

Mariano Rivera pitched his last game as a Yankee last night, walking off the mound with tears in his eyes. We take your tributes to Mo. Call 212-433-9692 or post here.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

I respect and admire Mariano Rivera.
As a star baseball player for a star team like the Yankees,
he could have been hanging out with the stars and a regular on page 6.

And that would have been fine.

But instead, Mariano Rivera, used his influence and money to help people,
touch people through the work of the various churches he has built.

The Mariano Rivera on the baseball field is a fantastic baseball player.
The Mariano Rivera off the baseball field is human being, that
cares about people and helps them.

Sep. 27 2013 02:47 PM
Patricia from Manhattan

The first time I saw Mariano pitch happened to be the 1998 World Series Game 3 Yankees vs Padres. I was not even a baseball fan, much less a Yankee fan before that moment, but that moment changed my life. I am a novelist/poet and Mo's cutter is as beautiful and transcendent as any art I have ever experienced. I even wrote him a poem and gave it to Joe Torre, don't know if Mo ever got it. What was clear to me that first time was that Mo was praying before each pitch. And what has been clear to me ever since is that when Mo trots out onto the field, God is in the house.

Sep. 27 2013 11:48 AM
Howard from New York City

Mo is the person every idealistic kid everywhere wants to grow up to be.

Sep. 27 2013 11:45 AM
suzinne from Bronx

Find it more than a little ironic that your story about the disappearing middle class is followed by a story about the Yankees! What a juxtaposition - all those players? They're among the 99%! Yes, Mariano Rivera's had a stellar career, and many say he's the greatest closer ever.

But seriously now, the new Yankees Stadium is an abomination. The house that Ruth DIDN'T build. There it sits all big and showing and obnoxious in an improveriched neighborhood where nobody can afford to attend the game. In fact, most people who live in the Bronx can't afford to go to the games there. And the people who do are traveling from Manhattan, Westchester and Long Island.

Sorry, if I didn't enjoy this story because I'm in fact one of those poor people in the Bronx, and have always HATED the Yankees.

Sep. 27 2013 11:32 AM
Cynthia Herzegovitch from east harlem - work

I was at the Sunday game - it was a great day. I can't say anything more. He has brought such joy to us all. And it was great to see and honor someone who has on and off the field the same ethic and outlook on life. He lives his faith and through his actions preaches louder than any sermon I have heard. That is why he has gotten the send off he has. I am so glad to see we as fans showed that we DO value the character of the man not just the talent and what he has done for us lately.

THANKS MO!!!

Sep. 27 2013 11:29 AM
Oscar from NY

Thought I was listening to Tom lycos for a minute... I learned one day from listening to a colonel who was getting promoted to general when I was in the core that crying is something some ppl shouldn't do in front if anyone, it was a credo he learned as a marine who also told us that by becoming a general he was to Washington to be political.. Either way I never forgot that so it,s kinda awkward when I see these heroes cry,..btw superman never cries...
Ps: last segment ... One day just like dr Martin Luther king we will unite with some local leaders and start selling our own goods anywhere and everywhere to survive from big companies.. Sorta like boycotting...

Sep. 27 2013 11:27 AM
Ben from Brooklyn

Mariano Rivera is my favorite Yankee.

My favorite moment is a simple one. Mo always pitches with the ultimate poker face. Totally expressionless, totally unshakable.

My favorite moment is every time the Yankees won the World Series with Mo delivering the final pitch. To see his face light up, from nothing to a brilliant shining grin, is everything you want in an athlete.

Sep. 27 2013 11:25 AM
Michele from Morristown

All I can say - Class! Yanks did a great job with the final game for him. And I'm a METS fan.

Sep. 27 2013 11:25 AM
muzz from NYC

I have long admired Mariano as a great player and person. Was lucky to see him pitch at the 'old' stadium. He will be missed!

Sep. 27 2013 11:21 AM