Open Phones: Is 2014 The Year You’ll Leave NYC?

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lower Manhattan skyline, New York City (acmace/flickr)

Is it the year you’re deciding to stay? Call in to 212-433-9692 and talk about the moves you’re deciding to make or not make this year.

Bnc626 from queens

I left NYC for a while but then got divorced and had to move back in with my parents, now that I'm back, I can't stand it. My neighborhood looks like a third world country full of third world Asians....they make the rents and properties so expensive! I wish they'd leave! But I know that's not happening. The only reason why I'm here is because my daughter needs to be watched. Babysitters are expensive. But many other places in America are a million times nicer than NYC! Even Jersey is very nice (but the taxes are high and Chris christie isn't very good) I also lived in Maryland which I loVed! If you can move then move!

Mar. 08 2014 07:56 PM
SPR from S.I., NY

I envy those who are leaving...and wish I could. BUT ~ I just hope that for all it's not a case of 'the grass is always greener...' Look before you leap!!

Jan. 04 2014 11:42 AM
Magee in NYC

To Matana Roberts:

DETROIT....YESSSS!!!

URBAN FARMING!
Much creative potential here..

Jan. 01 2014 03:36 PM
Magee in NYC

CALIFORNIA, BABY!!!

New York thinks it's the center of the Universe but you know, to me it feels hard and old and cold.. and overall, it's a highly stressful unhealthy lifestyle. The PEOPLE are bright and warm, of course, and are what makes it great.
But ohhh, my beloved California!
Every time I go back, it's like going from black and white to color.
Pure magic.

For me, in NY, I am never happy in this body. I cannot be happy if I don't feel good physically. The East cold damp grey or hot humid thing. You burn or you freeze. Can't handle it anymore. Cold contracts!
Bottom line: In California, I feel good EVERY day. Sun that you can count on. Dry desert climate. Ocean, mountain, big blue sky, expansive energy. Happy people. California supports health! it's summer all year long. No need for heat or A.C. I feel peaceful there.

And now that I can livestream WNYC, (the greatest radio ON radio) there's simply no reason NOT to go. ;-P

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MAY WE ALL SHINE ON..

Listen to what brings you joy, and build a life around that.

LOVE TO ALL

Jan. 01 2014 02:44 PM
hb from Newburgh

Margaret and Jade...YES! it's possible! Even for one born and bred in Brooklyn....AND you can have a dog :)

Check out Newburgh/Beacon area.

Dec. 31 2013 12:10 PM
Matana Roberts from brooklyn, NY, USA

I feel that if you want to live and survive making art in New York city, you have to give up any illusions abt living like regular good hearted folk. You have to seek out the good hearted odd and celebrate the other freedoms it gives you even during it's utter bullshit moments..... Real talk...way easier said than done.... I'm a working arts person, 10 years NYC, and I feel blessed, as i have so far been fairly lucky compared to some of my friends, bt it's not easy, and luck runs out eventually....I have to move soon myself.... And for the record Ive left NYC before, bt I always come back bc really this city gets into yr bones and there's just so much inspiration here still...though if I could deal with hard core winters again ( I'm originally midwestern), I'd move to Detroit in a heart beat+ id take as many NYC artists with me as possible... Anyway, for those of us still here we just have to carry on the best we can, keep the inspirational ship relatively upright, get involved and just try our best to remember to help each other/ask for help etc...

Dec. 31 2013 12:00 PM
Matana Roberts from brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec. 31 2013 11:59 AM
Teddy from Harlem

I've lived in NYC for 6.5 years now. I moved here from Boston after law school. There are a lot of things about NYC I love, but also a lot that I don't. However, I always assumed I would spend the rest of my life here.

I spent a lot of 2013 traveling to parts of the country where I had never been before; smaller cities in areas of the South and the West Coast which I had always assumed were not nearly as interesting or livable as New York. But the more people I met, I realized how happy people are living in these smaller cities. They can afford more space, they still have interesting jobs, and these cities have a lot to offer in terms of activities, the arts, and nightlife.

So in 2014, I'm breaking up with NYC. I'm not sure where I'll end up. I guess wherever I find the best job. But I'm terribly excited about what's to come.

Dec. 31 2013 11:52 AM
ursonate from lowell, ma

After 15 years, I left NYC in 2004 and it was the best decision I ever made. When I visit now I can actually afford to do the great things I always wanted to do when I lived there.

Dec. 31 2013 11:28 AM
Margaret from Brooklyn

I really want to go, to have more space and a PORCH, and a quiet, pretty neighborhood, but it's so scary.

Everyone outside the city has kids, but we don't and won't. Culture shock? Will we make friends?

And taxes in Westchester are high!

Dec. 31 2013 11:24 AM
Jade from NY

Please god, let me leave this year! I am NYC born and bred. I can't stand it any more. Between the ultra-rich and the hipsters this place has gone to the dogs. I'm hoping to get my learner's permit this week or next, and as soon as I can drive, I am out of here.

DiBlasio won't help.

Dec. 31 2013 11:23 AM
Fishmael from NYC

OK, this is an interesting idea for a segment.. but... lead off with someone who *owns an apartment* in NYC? C'mon WNYC, almost 70% of NYC residents are renters... focusing on apartment owners seriously skews your perspective here.

(and... more power to the lady who has her place in Park Slope, more power to here... but let's not forget the majority)

I hope to be here until I die... but rental prices in NYC will ultimately determine whether that's possible.

Dec. 31 2013 11:21 AM