One Year After Sandy: Lessons Learned, Challenges Ahead

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Surf Avenue hit hard by Hurricane Sandy in Coney Island. Surf Avenue hit hard by Hurricane Sandy in Coney Island. (Stephen Nessen/WNYC)

It's one year since Hurricane Sandy battered the region. WNYC editor Matthew Schuerman and reporter Janet Babin discuss where we've been over the last year, including things that have changed and things that haven't but should. Plus, your calls: What lessons did we learn over the last year, and what comes next? Call 212-433-9692 or post below.

WNYC Special: Life After Sandy

Janet Babin and Matthew Schuerman

John A

answer: mono crystalline solar panels on amazon. $50- $200. I got 2x$50. The rest of the parts are available at radio shack.

Oct. 30 2013 01:37 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

John A from WC
"I finally took action and built a small ($250) solar electric backup system for my house"

Can you post a link to a similar device? We can look it up to learn more.

Oct. 29 2013 12:10 PM
John A from WC

I finally took action and built a small ($250) solar electric backup system for my house. I can get indefinite cell and WNYC-radio power and limited lighting, laptop and TV. It was fun getting past thinking about this and going on to doing it.

Oct. 29 2013 12:04 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Before it was called "Climate Change", they called it "Global Warming".

When did the label change? Why did it change?

Was it around the time when Al Gore, Tippers "ex", had his "Global Warming" dog and pony show at the Beacon theater, on one of the colded days of the year?

Oct. 29 2013 11:59 AM
steve from queens

sheldon: would you know it either?

the suburbs are awfully conservative and anti obama and don't want to spend money on a damn thing that does not suit them but their hands are out for federal aid now. we have been hearing about climate change since the 1990's and it has been known that these areas were risky to own real estate in, let them pay for own market rate insurance and let them manage their repairs.

Oct. 29 2013 11:49 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

@steve, stop speaking out of your a**. You wouldn't know what socialism is, if it hits you in the face.

Oct. 29 2013 10:57 AM

>>I always wondered how God would respond to abortion, and to New York City ... I've seen 9/11, and the blackout, and Sandy, and these are warnings

Ed, have you seen the tornados, droughts, cataclysmic fires and blizzards devastating the Midwest, the center of the anti-abortion movement? What's your nutjob excuse for those?

Leave God alone, Ed. You are in no way qualified to speak for him. He is a Supreme Being, and you are just a supremely ignorant, arrogant ass who speaks only for his own demented agenda.

Oct. 29 2013 10:36 AM
steve from queens

the caller wonders why the government is not picking up more of the cost of raising the houses of residents of Long Beach. I will tell you why:

The residents do not want the money from the government. they made it plain while the debate over obamacare raged; they are not socialists and they take care of themselves.

For them to accept that money now would make them socialists. let them take care of their own property.

Oct. 29 2013 10:20 AM
Seth

Ed, I just wonder what you expect to happen by posting your agenda here. Is god telling you that wnyc is the right place to change the world? That would be a very wrong god. And, after Noah god said he would never do something like that again, so you clearly misunderstand the actions that god would take even if he were listening to you. Go out into the world and then change it. Posting off-topic rants here only turns off everyone, hurting your case badly.

Oct. 29 2013 10:16 AM
asdf

(It's official -- "Ed from Larchmont" is a pro-abortion provocateur.

Game over, man!)

Oct. 29 2013 10:08 AM
simpsonsmovieblew

I learned that the US Government and people would dare to throw our last pieces of gold into the ocean...

...I also learned that man's probable impact on climate change is too big of a problem for our President or any other elected leaders to address in a red-faced manner-- even when given the ideal opportunity to do so (Christie blubbering with his hand out).

I never thought I'd say this! But how I miss Ted Kennedy.

Oct. 29 2013 10:06 AM
Ed from Larchmont

I always wondered how God would respond to abortion, and to New York City, the center of the abortion movement and practice. I wonderered, because New York City is built on bedrock, very hard to reach. And since it is so dense, any disaster would kill way too many people.

But I've seen 9/11, and the blackout, and Sandy, and these are warnings. Unless abortion is stopped, larger disaster will occur, no matter how high the walls are built.

Oct. 29 2013 10:06 AM