The (NYS) Dream Act Dream

Friday, March 21, 2014

New York's Dream Act, which would have provided college tuition assistance to undocumented students, passed the NYS Assembly but failed to pass the NYS Senate by just two votes. Assemblyman Francisco Moya talks about whether the Dream Act still has a chance to make it into this year's budget.

Assemblyman Francisco Moya

Steve Johannesman from Long Island

I just listened to this today as a podcast and find the whole topic of entitlements for illegal immigrants appalling. There is no doubt that a college education is a requirement in today world and our government should do more to make college affordable for all citizens. The problem I have with this bill is that it will allow illegal immigrants access to an already too small pool of college funding. Illegal immigrants are breaking the law by being here and yes I understand that the children of these illegal immigrants are here through no fault of their own, and that our immigration system is completely broken, but that doesn't mean that their college education should be payed for by our tax dollars.

I have no problem with illegal immigrants attending public school because I believe that education is a human right as is freedom, life and the pursuit of happiness. I'm also perfectly fine with illegal immigrants being charges the in-state tuition. But using tax dollars to fund a college eduction when there isn't even enough money to help citizens is just plain wrong.

Mar. 24 2014 04:25 PM
Danna from Brooklyn

I supported this bill, and I expected my local representatives to support it as well. My representative is one of the two Democrats who didn't. I didn't vote for Felder in the first place, and I will certainly not be voting for him in the future.

Mar. 23 2014 12:42 PM
jack from mount vernon

There is an insidious use of language to shape dialog in this country...

Benefits are now entitlements.

The Illegal are now the undocumented.

Taking this a step further, is a drug dealer an undocumented pharmacist? A murderer an undocumented executioner?

That we can even have this discussion is ludicrous. Undocumented people HAVE BROKEN THE LAW. They are not working ‘on the books,’ they are not paying taxes. There is a limited amount of financial aid available. So, if you do not have documentation of income and there is no record of it, it stands to reason you will qualify for financial aid.

People want to make this into a racial issue, a bias issue but there are our nation has laws regarding immigration for a reason. That the situation has gone so wildly out of control is an indictment of the failure of our government and to legislate reward for that failure is indicative of how dysfunctional our nation has become.

Immigrants are a great strength of our country but this is insane.

Mar. 21 2014 02:15 PM
Mark

Heh heh, this plan will backfire. The rich whites think it will help make their servants harder to deport if they have relatives in college...but don't forget illegal immigrants come from Asia too. Once the Chinese take all the college money the same liberal whites will be calling to cancel the program!

Mar. 21 2014 12:17 PM
Morty

Yes, we are such a rich country that the outstanding debt is higher than all the 1% incomes combined. It's like you have a million dollar credit limit and claiming you are a millionaire. We are broke and living on credit and the fat of past generations and once the pension issue hits the states in full force, the states will go bust as well. But keep believing money grows on trees friend.

Mar. 21 2014 11:16 AM
James from New York City

Many have stated that this would be a drain on our resources.

This is a very wealthy country. The problem is that we don't equitably tax the wealthy, and the very large corporations.

This is why we "don't have money". There is plenty to go around, it just happens to be in the wrong hands.

Mar. 21 2014 11:12 AM
Stephan from Queens

The only group making money from immigrants going to post HS College etc. are the Colleges and post HS private owners. I am an immigrant with 3 college degrees. I paid for 2 degrees from my own pocket and chose a company that would pay full college tuition. I am a very big advocate for education, my wife is an educator, but I think these young people (especially immigrants) are being hoodwinked into going to college. Even with HEOP and all the education assistance that will end up with no jobs because the only job they will get on Wall Street is delivering the breakfast and lunch for those guys working in the offices. Like someone already ask if this is private funds, why does the NY legislature has to vote on it. Why can’t we go back to the days when all public education (even post HS) was free in NY. We will continue to fall behind in this country because the rich selected few don’t is still afraid to educate the masses.

Mar. 21 2014 11:05 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

john from office said:

"the Dominicans brought back Washington heights"

The 34th police precinct had the most homicides in the the City back in the 1980's

Mar. 21 2014 11:04 AM

again, politicians pandering to a voting block. this is all to keep latinos voting democratic. Give illegal latinos (because those are really the only illegal aliens we are talking about) amnesty for getting here illegally and latinos will continue to vote democratic. obviously which ever party gives illegals special rights, will win their votes, AT THE EXPENSE of born and raised americans. We pay the taxes to fuel this lunacy.

Mar. 21 2014 11:03 AM
jm

Haha my mistake - 12 years of Bloomberg! It's easy to forget how he manipulated that third one. ;)

Mar. 21 2014 11:00 AM
MK from NYC

The lady who called from Puerto Rican who was AGAINST giving benefits to Dream children was absolutely painful to listen to. Puerto Rico - a commonwealth of the United States who gets every single benefit as an American citizen, and she was saying there are others in line that should get benefits as well, the irony here was unbelievable. She receives American government benefits and wasn't even born here - If she was from any other nation in Latin America, her entire opinion would be contrary. The hypocrisy of that woman was agonizing to listen to.

Then she went on to say that after the dream childen get their documentation, they go back to their country to evolve their studies there? Is she out of her mind? This is why these children want documentation - to expand their studies here, simultaneously having the chance to do that because for the first time in their life they will receive a lending hand - wouldn't it be nice to finally be able to attain some HELP?

Right now without generating the Dream Act into our society, adolescents go to college, finish their degree, and then they cannot get a job because they do not have the documentation and go back to their country. Therefore, diminishing the Dream Act, we are not taking advantage of our education and pushing away the educated international and local undocumented students AWAY instead of letting them thrive into our society, letting them be a part of our growing economy. Quite frankly, isn't that the future - educated, intelligent, college students who will innovate our future economy, finding solutions to socio-economic conflicts that will better the life of ALL American citizens. Do not follow the opinions of others, pick up an economic guide - economic models have proven that working towards a better immigration system expands the nations economy, and yet we are complaining about our economy every single day and simultaneously, we are against bringing diverse, cultural education to our nation - wow.

Mar. 21 2014 11:00 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Any regressive progressive who is unhappy with the US is welcome to renounce their American Citizenship too.

Mar. 21 2014 10:59 AM
Sredni Vashtar from the Shed Out Back

I am a child of immigrants. My parents became naturalized US citizens and followed all the rules. I consider myself quite liberal on a host of issues except this one. Yes, it's not pleasant for children to bear the brunt of their parents' choices, but that's a risk of not following the rules. Moreover, what often is not brought up in these conversations is that removing the consequences of illegal immigration will tend to encourage more illegal immigration, won't it?

Mar. 21 2014 10:58 AM

so if an illegal alien from a terrorist sponsoring country got here illegally and had kids and they were anti american, we'd give them college money too right? The latino groups that want special rights for their countrymen who snuck into this country are asking americans to look the other way to laws that other people from other countries have to follow.

Mar. 21 2014 10:58 AM
jm

I understand the homeowner's frustration because I experienced the financial aid issue in the late '80s-early '90s when my parents made too much money for the aid I required, simply because they managed to pull themselves out of poverty by the time I was in high school (this was in the Southern Midwest). It didn't seem fair that only 10 years prior, we were bankrupt from my dad's small business and literally moved to the next small town with one car of possessions, yet I couldn't attend my dream school. I also lacked the random connections that would allow me to collect a sweet sweet "Daughters of the American Revolution" or other random scholarship. I don't envy students who are trying to make sense of today's corrupt student loan landscape.

However, I can also say that even after 20 years in NYC, I'm still in awe of the energy and diversity that comes from its immigrant population. It's essential to promote this through the younger generations, particularly after 8 years of Bloomberg. If they're pushed out, NYC's transformation to one giant glass tower will be hastened. No one wants that.

And the last caller is so so wrong about people "going back to their countries" after receiving a degree, especially if they've spent their lives here! I'd only suggest supplementing the Dream Act with legislation that would allow easier Visa access for immigrants with feasible business plans (I believe Canada implemented something similar)...I have a few friends from other countries who would have hired 5-10 people in the last few years if they'd been able to stay in the US.

Mar. 21 2014 10:58 AM
Linda W. from Brooklyn

The sad thing is we hear how hard working immigrants pay taxes, etc. First of all, it costs something on the order of $24,000 per year for a kid to go to public school. What undocumented worker is paying that kind of local tax? I'll give you a hint - none. That means the money is coming out of our own kids education and our tax dollars. Now we want to provide a subsidy for college? At some point, as bleeding heart as I am, enough is enough. Are we waiting for the system to collapse to get our heads out of our rears? I know people like this guest are pandering, but don't do it at the expense of our children. Maybe a legal couple of NJ should illegally apply for state aid from NY, why make it just from another country. LOL

Mar. 21 2014 10:54 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

It was inherently unfair and manipulative for your guest to accuse the last caller of being against the children, merely because she expressed reservations about this bill. It's this kind of rhetoric that makes people that much less supportive of bills like this. No one with a reasonable mind and heart is against kids; it's purely about the availability of funds, and concern that the state can't possibly allocate more funds for a program like this.

Mar. 21 2014 10:50 AM
Share from NYC

College tuition assistance doesn't necessarily mean "scholarship." I would guess it means they will now qualify for student loans.

Mar. 21 2014 10:50 AM
john from office

If not for immigrants parts of this city would be no go areas. The Mexicans are reviving Long Island, the Asians are and have improved Queens, the Dominicans brought back Washington heights and Central Americans are repopulating upstate New York. So Shut UP ! Lazy native borns!!

Native born Americans are unwilling to work 80 hour days to make it.

Mar. 21 2014 10:47 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Just to make sure it's clear, the bill would have allowed "DREAMers" to participate equally in an existing program rather than giving them a separate one that only they would be eligible for?

Mar. 21 2014 10:47 AM
Priscilla Mainardi from Pompton Plains, NJ

We have so much here compared to where most immigrants come from. Let's share what we have with them. And if the dreamers want to share in our great education system and then go back and improve their countries of origin, isn't this also for the good?

Mar. 21 2014 10:46 AM
carolita from nyc

I don't see the problem about helping people get an education. If your'e too poor to get an education, and have the grades and potential to make the most of one, you should get help, whether you're illegal or not. I say that as a second generation American. Illegals pay taxes and work hard. I've been illegal (in another country) myself, and had to leave behind all the money I invested in that country when I came back. Oh, yes, all these people you want to send back to where they came from invested money in America! Yes, indeed!

Mar. 21 2014 10:46 AM

I am a self-described bleeding heart liberal who just applied for a Pell Grant for my first child who will soon be attending a CUNY school. I was denied. My husband is a teacher and I work for the state, both good jobs, but we live on a strict budget partly because it's very expensive to live on Long Island and partly because our own student loans payments are bleeding us dry. You say it's not a competition but that means there are limitless funds. That's not true. There is a limit to assistance. I am against this.

Mar. 21 2014 10:45 AM
tom from lic

The caller is right. Some 40 Billion Dollars in remittances is sent by western union from US to Mexico every year.

Mar. 21 2014 10:45 AM
Sandra from new york city

It certainly is a competition--for money. If there were unlimited funds then swell. But there aren't. So no.

Mar. 21 2014 10:45 AM
Jerry

I'm sorry, there have to be consequences. The parents knew they were having children here illegally. Let the children blame the parents, or pay full tuition. Period. The taxpayer should not foot the bill.

Mar. 21 2014 10:45 AM
Leo A

the person who wants to renounce his citizenship because illegal immigrants are living the good life. Please do, and maybe you would get a better understanding of what it means to be illegal in this country

Mar. 21 2014 10:44 AM
jade

If this is private money, why does NY State have to be involved? Why not do this through a private foundation?

And Briand "take it out on the kids"? I really really hate it when your political views come out in a way that insults your callers.

Mar. 21 2014 10:44 AM

Thats great, so the best thing to do for american born people who cant afford college is to leave the US, sneak back in, then claim you are undocumented. Thanks. Ill give that advice to my daughter.

Mar. 21 2014 10:42 AM
Bob

I don't understand about the Dreamer-only scholarships. If they're private, why is state legislature required to approve? Is public money involved?

Mar. 21 2014 10:41 AM
Seth

Hey Rico -- you live in too big a house in too expensive a neighborhood. Quit crying for a hand out when others make so much less than you. Pay for you kids college and don't expect help when you're spending your money as you please. At you have some to do that with.

Mar. 21 2014 10:41 AM
Hannah Seeger from Manhattan

Brian: Many anthropologists believe that Native Americans originally immigrated here from what is now Russia. They too came from somewhere else, just before everybody else.

Mar. 21 2014 10:40 AM
Shoshona from Manhattan

Many illegals families are not officially married so the how do you compare economic need with citizens who did the right thing? They can just show the income of one parent and presto they qualify.

Mar. 21 2014 10:40 AM
Bonn from East Village

Interesting that Simcha Felder voted no, considering a lot of the Orthodox in his district have enormous families and live on government handouts. Stop being a hypocrite, Mr. Felder.

Mar. 21 2014 10:36 AM
Jessie Henhaw from Way Uptown

Well, I'm an ultra liberal on individual responsibility, and don't see any particular individual responsibility expressed here, in the bill or by the advocate...

Mar. 21 2014 10:35 AM
Shoshona from Manhattan

Please get this guy off the air. I can't listen to the propaganda any longer. When the state is awash in money and is lowering taxes get back to me.

Mar. 21 2014 10:35 AM
Bob

I understand and agree with the in-state tuition (already in place) and the TAP eligibility, since the Dreamers and their parents are paying taxes. But why the special scholarships only for them? Shouldn't these scholarships be open to all, based on need?

Mar. 21 2014 10:35 AM
dlm

Why should taxpayers pay for illegal immigrants to attend college when they can not work legally upon graduation. If they plan to move to another country - great for them. But does not explain why NYers should support.

Mar. 21 2014 10:34 AM
Dee from NJ

If people come to the country illegally they should not be entitled to any benefits, period.

Mar. 21 2014 10:34 AM
Leo A

If the bill does not include financial aid, I don't know why people are such in arms. People trying to better themselves with little prospects of an actual future because their immigration status.

Mar. 21 2014 10:32 AM
Kerry

This is sick... just sick. I should relinquish my citizenship and then stay here so I can get a piece of the action. No income taxes since you can't be tracked, no medical bills, free or reduced education, free social services. I have to compete with this and then fund it.

Mar. 21 2014 10:31 AM
Jerry from NYC

why taxpayers should be responsible for illegals' college tuition?, how do you know they will stay in the country after finishing their schooling? advocates always talk about benefits of illegal immigration, what about cost to the taxpayers? is it a secret? what about milions of unemployed americans?

Mar. 21 2014 10:27 AM