A Note of Thanks from Jonathan Schwartz

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A week ago today I was the recipient of a remarkable and profoundly moving afternoon of world class music, music that I've devoted much of my life extolling on the radio.

John Pizzarelli is an unstoppable showman. Jessica Molaskey is a singer, musician, actor, dancer, producer, gardener, designer, chef, mother, and an honorable and hilarious friend to me, to dozens of women, and everyone in the world named Kevin. It was Jessica who made the show flow, as everyone connected with it will confirm. My dearest Tierney Sutton sang beautifully, and looked over me, a guy not feeling absolutely great. Cyrille Aimee holds a large chunk of the future. She is nomadic, disciplined, and simply stated, a musician on the highest level. Her international reputation is shockingly intense. Tony De Sare is that marvelous double-edged sword: pianist and singer, born, so it seems, that way.

The Harvey space is funky and comfortable in the hands of funky and comfortable folks, professional through and through. Obviously I'm grateful to them. If they ever wish to have me return with my cast, they must phone, only a day before.

Tags:

More in:

Ken Byrne from Melbourne Australia

How grateful I am that the audio is on the Jonathan Channel. I have been envious of those who live in Brooklyn (or anywhere close to Brooklyn) as getting to there from Australia is more than I could manage (though I did consider it).

Jonathan, I have been listening since 1971. For many years after moving from NY I pestered NY friends to record your shows. They did so when possible and I have them tucked safely away. One of those is a recording of your last show in 1976. On that show you told the story of going to a stadium in California and hiring a young man named Chris to hit fungos for you. I laughed out loud ... for a long time. Over the years I have often laughed at that story. You told it again a few years ago preceded by the comment "I don't think I've told you this story..." You may have heard me shouting from Melbourne Australia "Oh, yes you have!!)

And I completely believe your story of the camel who sings "Blue". In fact, I think I met that camel while traveling in Morocco.

I join the others here in saying that these concerts should be a regular event...there is obviously a strong audience to support such venture.

Thank you Jonathan, to Jessica and John and Tierney and the rest of the group that made it possible. The show was wonderful even jut listening to the audio.

Jun. 26 2014 08:03 PM
Jon Schwartz from Santa Monica, California

Would have sold my Aunt Goldie to see/hear your recent BAM show. You are but a handful of DJs who do what
you do, each one of you unique (others are Paul Berlin out of a tiny AM station in the suburbs of Houston and Chuck Cecil from LA). Long may you wave... As for Jessica Molaskey and John Pizzarelli, they are the
Nick and Nora Charles of the Great American Songbook. And Michael Feinstein, a 105% class act.
And yes, that is my real name...

Jun. 20 2014 03:08 AM
Lori Kaiser from Kentucky

Jonathan I hope you are feeling better. My question would be what do we have to do to get you on the Jazz Cruise! Marcus Miller does a wonderful MC job, but oh boy what you could do! The Pizzarelli's, Tierney, and Cyrille will all be there with a tribute to Birdland next year. Every year I think to myself what a void there is without you.

Love the Jonathan Channel, as usual Jonathan everything you do is top notch! Thanks for all you do.

Jun. 18 2014 01:48 PM
PJ from newark nj

Jonathan, Will the show be replayed on your channel?

Jun. 18 2014 09:54 AM
Sal Franzese from Bellmore, NY

Jonathan,
First, I hope you are feeling in the pink again,
Second, I'll say again how delighted my bride and I were to be at the BAM show.
Third, I'll only echo an earlier poster's thoughts (hopes) that a Sunday in New York with Jonathan Schwartz regular series is in the offing.

Jun. 18 2014 07:55 AM
Victor

Jonathan, what a show! But it was too short!

My wife and I hung around in the lobby for a while, hoping you or your guests would come out, and lo-and behold, Cyrille Aimee came out to the snack bar. My wife asked if she could take a picture with her, and Cyrille planted her chin on my wife's shoulder for a selfie. She is so sweet!

I wish John had taken some more questions, he didn't call on me, so here are my questions:

1. Any chance that you could re-issue your albums, either on CD or iTunes?

2. May 1, 1976 was your last show on WNEW FM before you took a sabatical. I couldn't listen to most of that show. My future brother-in-law, whom I would not meet for another 5 years, was a delivery boy for a liquor store in Jersey City. Evolutionarily, very unwise for a 16 year old boy to be on a bicycle with cash and booze, but he somehow survived to pass on his genes. Anyway, he was listening to your program in the liquor store between deliveries, and you were playing "name that tune." There was one song that no one could guess. When he was out on a delivery, either you told what the song was or someone finally guessed it. He's been wondering for the last 38 years what that song was. Any chance you remember it?

Jonathan, thank you so much for more than 40 years of great music (in all genres), great stories, humor, and great memories. (Like my brother-in-law, I recall dozens of things you've said, songs that you've played that I've never heard anywhere else...I could go on and on).

And Happy Birhtday! (next week)

Victor

Jun. 17 2014 11:16 PM
Howard Burkat from Hastings on Hudson, NY

Why can't we have a regular series of these concerts? Clearly there is an audience.
When Jonathan started the American Songbook series at Lincoln Center they were the kind of music we are talking about here. Now these concerts have devolved into something close to a pop festival. So there is definitely a place for J. Schwartz and his people in a concert series.

Jun. 17 2014 10:08 PM
Barbara Quincy from WILTON

I'm 77 and some days I feel 60 and others 77. perhaps you were having a 77 day ...
Saturdays and Sundays are my day with you ... via 93.9 FM

Jun. 17 2014 08:29 PM
George Seminara from Harlem, New York

Yes, I'm very concerned about you. Are you okay?
I have been listening to you since WNEWFM and I went
With you to am, and , discovered musical wonders!
I got satellite radio for you! And now I'm stuck with nonstop Billy Joel
Which doesn't get suck. But the guy has like 18 hours of good music.
It's quick to get redundant?

Jun. 17 2014 08:11 PM
Betty Costley from Waco,texas

The show would have been worth the trip from Texas!
Read Jessica'written review, wept because I missed it but it brought me back to the Jonathan channel for which I thank you very much. Now where can I find the show on line? I'm on the channel via internet and WNYC and would love to find a re broadcast of the tribute show. You are a national treasure! Thanks for all you do.

Jun. 17 2014 07:48 PM
Mary from Long Island

It was a wonderful afternoon of exquisite music
And extremely talented musicians. My husband and I
Loved every minute. We sincerely hope
You'll do it again. If so, we'll be there! Thank you,
Jonathan Schwartz and friends!!

Jun. 17 2014 07:00 PM
Ron Keats

"My dearest Tierney Sutton sang beautifully, and looked over me, a guy not feeling absolutely great." Don't think I ever heard you complain abt your health. I realize you're abt 75 years young. Are you OK?

Jun. 17 2014 06:33 PM