Non-Traditional Tax Questions

Friday, April 04, 2014

With April 15th approaching, Shelly Goch, CPA with Adeptus Partners LLC, specializes in taxes for non-traditional families -- gay marriages, non-married partners, plus artists and foreign nationals working in NYC.

Shelly Goch

J. from NYC

Question for guest: Is it illegal to file separately if you are married? I imagine the answer is the same for same-sex or different-sex couples. Thank you.

Apr. 04 2014 11:15 AM
Straight from Sanity

Non married couples file separately where is the confusion there, my gosh!

Apr. 04 2014 11:15 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Following up on my call: I know at least 2 same-sex couples in NY who married in other states before the DOMA decision because they got tired of waiting, so they *can* recover some of the taxes they paid when they filed separately. (After the All Things Considered segment I mentioned on the air, I told same-sex couples I know to ask their accountants about this!)

Apr. 04 2014 11:15 AM
Straight from Sanity

So much confusion with this gay tax thing...just file separately, my gosh!

Apr. 04 2014 11:13 AM
J. from U.S.

Question for Guest -- Many Americans today have relationships in multiple countries and may not have been aware of a reporting requirement if their name is on a foreign bank account, even a foreign family member's account. Would you comment on a recent development in which confiscatory penalties are being threatened or imposed in relation to this.

Apr. 04 2014 11:04 AM
Jeff from East Village

I'm surprised that the expert here sounds so unclear -- almost confusing. The rules for same-sex couples, married or in partnership, are not easy in New Jersey, especially, but fairly straightforward in NY and Connecticut, if unfamiliar to many of us. Husband and I, married in Mass. and living in NY, filed our first federal and state "married," taxes, and accountant did the math and suggested we file jointly. Others may do better filing married, separately.

Apr. 04 2014 11:03 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

As everyone knows by now, I am totally for the abolition of this ancient relic of an institution called "marriage," and believe government never had any right to be involved in it at all. It was purely a religious oath made before a cleric and an audience to witness the act where two people committed themselves to each other by oath to God, and that all children issued from the female's womb had better be HIS kids! If not she's an adulteress and the penalty was dreadful.

Apr. 04 2014 11:00 AM
Peter from Washington Heights

My husband and I got married in NY in 2011 and have been filing jointly on the state level since then, but this year we filed jointly on our Federal taxes. We're also refiling our Federal taxes jointly for 2011 and 2012 and will be getting money back from the US Govt.

Apr. 04 2014 10:57 AM