NJ Senate Candidates: Cory Booker

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Mayor of Newark and Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate representing New Jersey, Cory Booker, discusses his platform and candidacy ahead of tomorrow's special election to fill the seat.

Cory Booker

Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Booker is the Next Black Hope who has already mailed in a disastrous mayoralty in a city that is worse than when he was elected.

what a liberal media creation joke!

Oct. 15 2013 09:28 PM
sanych

@jgarbuz

It is the last thing to explain a joke.

I thought initially that you were mocking some people's fears.

However, judging by a reaction from some, these fears may not be totally unfounded.

So, beware, some people want to abort you from these irrelevant discussions.

Oct. 15 2013 12:26 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Lighten up! I thought you all supported abortion and having fewer children. And it is legal. So what's the problem?

Oct. 15 2013 12:09 PM
Bob from Pelham, NY

to the moderator: I wasn't asking for jgarbuz to be banned, just that this particular comment be reviewed for possible moderation. (Actually, I wasn't trying to post my comment at all, just wanted to send a question/heads up to you.)

Oct. 15 2013 12:08 PM

Mods- I second the motion by Bob from Pelham, NY.

jgarbuz's comment is disgusting and unacceptable. Please delete it & ban jgarbuz.

Oct. 15 2013 11:59 AM
Bob from Pelham, NY

to the moderator: I know jgarbuz is a regular commentator on this board, but is his comment on this segment(re Democrats aborting Republican babies) really acceptable for this forum?

Oct. 15 2013 11:56 AM
Joe from nearby

@Ana from Bergen County NJ:

I hate those signs that litter our highways/roadways! Do you really like all that litter?

You should vote based on the issues, not on whether Loneagan is littering our neighborhoods with his signs.

Oct. 15 2013 11:52 AM
Ana from Bergen County NJ

I live in southern Bergen County and have family all over the same county. I have yet to see one single sign of Booker anywhere in the county I travel a lot through. If that is not taking for granted the vote I don't know what it is?

Oct. 15 2013 11:42 AM
Peter Talbot from Harrison NJ

Seems that Dem support for Booker is very tepid, but that's not surprising. The Dem Machine in Essex and Hudson counties suspect that they can't count on Senator Booker to deliver much pork to NJ: the primary reason that the late Sen. Lautenberg was such a perennial favorite of the party and respected by the State house. Furthermore, Booker is unlikely to have any coat-tail effects locally: his own constituency in Newark would assuredly not reelect him and most of his activities have been on the business and national end of the job. As urbane, well spoken and quick on his feet as Mayor Booker is, he is without any doubt a one-man show. If he wins, it will be due to the almost incredible extremism of his much more organized opponent, Lonegan. The special election date is going to hurt Mr. Booker badly given that the Dems are not pressing the flesh nor doing much else to get the vote out.

Oct. 15 2013 11:42 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

If the Democrats don't get their way, they will abort every Republican baby in the womb.

Oct. 15 2013 11:41 AM
Larry

Interesting analysis-
"What can we learn from Booker-Lonegan primaries?"
nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/10/what_can_we_learn_from_booker-lonegan_primaries.html#incart_river_default

"Wednesday's election may come down to how strongly Lonegan does in Ocean, Monmouth and Morris counties versus Booker's embrace, generally, by the suburbs."

Oct. 15 2013 11:34 AM
Dan

Some polls indicate that the independent vote commands a huge percentage in this election. What message does he have for them?

Oct. 15 2013 11:10 AM
Joe from nearby

I've seen comments in other web forums by people saying that they refuse to vote for Lonegan, but they can't vote for Booker either, due to him appearing to be more concerned about his own self-promotion than actually helping citizens.

Can he tell us how he has helped people?

Oct. 15 2013 11:06 AM
Adam Herbst from NJ

My concern with Booker has to do with basic democracy. He didn't attend two primary debates and didn't attend any debates in his most recent run for mayor of Newark. He functions via cult of personality. These combined with his massive accumulation of political contributions make me wonder whether he is dedicated to the kind of democracy we've had in NJ for a long time.

Oct. 15 2013 10:17 AM