New Jersey Lt. Gov. Denies Using Sandy Aid as Pawn

Monday, January 20, 2014

New Jersey Lieutenant Governor Kim Guadagno New Jersey Lieutenant Governor Kim Guadagno (New Jersey State Library/flickr)

New Jersey Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno denied on Monday allegations made by the mayor of Hoboken that the administration of Gov. Chris Christie used federal funds designated for Sandy relief to push for approval of a real estate project in her town.

Speaking at a press conference in Union Beach, N.J., Guadagno said she was surprised that Mayor Dawn Zimmer would "mischaracterize a conversation" between them.

"Standing in Union Beach as we are today, with some of the mayors whose towns were devastated by Sandy and being a Sandy victim myself, makes these allegations particularly offensive to me," she said.

"In short, Mayor Zimmer's version of our conversation in May of 2013 is not only false but is illogical and does not withstand scrutiny when all of the facts are examined."

Guadagno refused to take questions from the media. She quickly left the site where she originally was scheduled to participate in a volunteer project in honor of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

A short time later, Zimmer responded:

“I am genuinely disappointed that Lieutenant Governor Guadagno has lived up to her promise that she would deny linking Hoboken's application for Sandy hazard mitigation funding with expediting a private development project,” she said in a written statement. “I met with the U.S. Attorney for over two hours yesterday, answered all their questions and turned over my journal in which I described my conversation with the Lieutenant Governor and Commissioner Constable. I stand by my word, remain willing to testify under oath, and I will continue to answer any questions asked of me by the U.S. Attorney's office.”

The redevelopment deal in Hoboken was being handled by David Samson, the chairman of the Port Authority who has been implicated in subpoenaed documents as one of the close Christie confidantes involved in keeping the so-called Bridgegate scandal quiet. It was a high-rise office tower where a warehouse now stands; the local planning board rejected the re-development plan.

Prosecutors at the U.S. Attorney's office in Newark continue to investigate allegations that traffic lanes connecting the town of Fort Lee to the George Washington Bridge were closed in an act of political punishment.

Tags:

More in:

RTLovelace

With every denial coming from the Governor's people, I want the appropriate ongoing state and federal investigations to be certain to do thorough investigations. If Christie and his people have nothing to hide, then they have nothing to be concerned about.

Jan. 25 2014 11:22 AM
Adam from NJ

I had a class taught by the Lt. Governor in law school. She struck me as a straight shooter who would not be involved in shenanigans.

My question is how come Mayor Zimmer waited until now to make her claim? How come she didn't go to the US Attorney earlier, either when she claims the conversation first happened or when Hoboken got such a small monetary award?

Jan. 21 2014 11:21 AM
Matt

Ah, words. The more there are, the less they say. At some point, people are going to want to stop going to bat for the gov.

Jan. 21 2014 11:05 AM
Natalie Davis from Montclair, NJ

She said-she said. Who strikes me as credible? Not Kimmie! The back room deals and posturing and lying and revenge games are business as usual in the wilted Garden State. The reek is the corruption, and it all starts with GODFATHER CHRISTIE THE BULLY and his consigliere GUADAGNO, trails through prosecutors' offices and municipal attorney offices and wends through various GOP political offices and municipal committees. (And the Dems have their corruption too--think of all the Essex Dems who endorsed The Bully. Even if Christie or his minions did threaten them for the endorsement, people of character (Fort Lee and Hoboken's mayors, Dick Codey) don't capitulate to the evil!

Jan. 21 2014 09:54 AM
SamBrown

"Guadagno refused to take questions from the media. She quickly left the site..."
Mmmhmm. Makes a statement about how offended she is(it's always about them isn't it?) calls Mayor Zimmer a liar, then scurries off without taking questions. Says a lot about who is telling the truth.

Jan. 21 2014 08:43 AM
Thespian Show Stopper from nyc

The Lt. Gov should avoid using terms like "On the Waterfront" [3:25] in her very very theatrical denial to Mayor Zimmer's allegations...Yeah it was Zimmer who wanted to fill the "hole" and the Lt. Gov was there to help, since they had such a great relationship together and the Lt. Gov is just being a nice guy doing Hoboken a favor. Oh and did I mention I am Chris Christie's NJ Lt. Gov???
Complete predatory behaviour.

Jan. 21 2014 08:19 AM
Peg

And just what is illogical in Zimmer's accusation? Seems plenty logical to me.

Jan. 21 2014 06:45 AM
SKV from NYC

Doesn't pass the smell test.

Hoboken had serious damage. They got pennies in aid.

What's the reason, then, Ms. Guadagno? WHY hasn't Hoboken gotten any help? If it wasn't retaliation for Zimmer not supporting the corrupt real estate deal, what was the reason?

(Is there anybody on Christie's staff who has the guts to tell the truth about this monster?)

Jan. 20 2014 06:10 PM