Streams

NJ Boardwalk Fire Caused By Faulty Wiring

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The boardwalk fire that destroyed more than 50 businesses along the Jersey Shore was caused accidentally by wiring affected by Sandy, authorities said Tuesday.

The fire in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights started under a building that housed a candy store and ice cream parlor, officials said.

Ocean County prosecutor Joseph Coronato cautioned other businesses to check their own wiring.

“If you’re a property owner and you think your electrical system came in contact with water and sand, the right thing to do is to have it inspected by the electrical officials,” Coronato said.

Authorities said the wiring under the boardwalk dated back to the 1970s.

 

The audio with this article was updated on Sep. 18, 6 p.m. to reflect the following correction: Kohr's is located on the Seaside Park boardwalk, not the southern end of the Seaside Park boardwalk.

Tags:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Comments [1]

CK from Yorktown

This is a very sad thing to have happened after so much work to rebuild after Sandy. The thing to note is, this is why professional electricians were recommended to check wiring. It's not enough for property owners to "check". Worth a little extra cost to ensure safety. Hoping all those effected are able to find funds to repair.

Sep. 17 2013 07:25 PM

Leave a Comment

Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more. Learn more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the Comment Guidelines before posting. By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use.

Sponsored