Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi: I Don't Want My Son to Grow Up on TV

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Nicole Polizzi (also known as Snooki), the famous Jersey Shore party girl, talks about getting unexpectedly pregnant and how having a baby has changed her life. Her new book, Baby Bumps: From Party Girl to Proud Mama, and all the Messy Milestones Along the Way, is about the realities of pregnancy, breastfeeding, and postpartum life.

Nicole Polizzi

cervantes

Jane Pauley- 2 comments Snooki- 57 comments. ahma-gedon-outta-here...!

Jan. 24 2014 09:44 AM
Maggie from Nj

It's not April 1, but this is either a prank or about the most insulting programming Imaginable for this audience. For any audience for that matter . Who on Earth had the bright idea of bringing her on the show? Who cares what she says? I can't believe this actually happened. I thought Borowitz was joking when he announced this for an upcoming show.

And for those who think that the people who object are delicate flowers, let me remind you that this kind of garbage is thrown at us 24/7 on TV and most radio. This show is one of the few places where we can find intelligent guests and conversation. Normally.. And it is to preserve these last bastions of intelligent conversation, that people actually donate to public radio stations.,so it seems to me that it's very natural to react against idiocy getting a foot in the door.

Jan. 16 2014 03:30 AM
Melissa from Greenpoint

If I wanted to hear about Snooki I could have watched "Entertainment Tonight". What has happened to the Leonard Lopate show?

Jan. 15 2014 09:46 PM
Ian O'Brien from Jersey City

I'm reminded of that Late Night segment "Jaywalking", a roundup of clueless boobs who wow us with stupidity. The public spotlight is a precious commodity - I can't even conceive of why this vapid, self-promoting, nitwit (I'm not surprised she enjoys reading about zombies) was considered worthy of our attention. And what opportunity was lost to someone more deserving as a result of the horrendous booking decision ?

If you think this is 'elitist', well just watch the "Snookie" video posted above... I rest my case.

Jan. 15 2014 04:36 PM
Ian from Jersey City

Jan. 15 2014 04:35 PM
walter pavlik from Wayside, NJ

I don't know about the high / low class disruption. I thought her comments were a perfect Colbert Nation sketch.

Jan. 15 2014 10:47 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I very much agree with the points made so articulately by tom LI.

Despite my defense of having Snooki or any other "low brow" guest on, there has been a drift by WNYC to pander to a culture of hipsters and pop culture in general.

The difference between Snooki and so many of those guests that today's commentators who objected to Snooki would approve of, IS one teetering on that elitist divide. At the end of the day, these kinds of guests are too often just empty celebrities and all part of the trend-leaning pop culture industrial complex!

Fawning indeed, tom LI!

I'd say most of the complainers here

Jan. 15 2014 10:26 AM
Paul from Brooklyn

Amazing. No, I did not tune in. What a joke. Sometimes WNYC really stuns me.... not in a good way. This one of those times. I'm witholding further contributions.

Jan. 14 2014 10:15 PM
Kate from Snooki Land

OMG! That was TOTALLY like the worst Lennie show evah! Snooki? Are you kidding? Jane Pauley? (Big yawn). Followed by a conversation on anxiety? The show was like nails on a chalkboard. What were you people thinking?

Jan. 14 2014 09:14 PM

Perhaps as a result of this segment, Leonard might produce a show where (in all serious) he and a panelist or two could discuss what is meant by the word "public" in WNYC New York public radio.

I'd love to hear what WNYC is thinking.

Jan. 14 2014 06:40 PM
tom LI

Heard Snooki ws going to be on and let out a WTF?

Of course anyone can be interviewed, and the interviewee can often defeat expectations - I dont know if Snooki did or did not, as I couldn't listen due to work - I'm sure the young lady could have some astute points to make, maybe even a lot of them...any interview in the right hands can be just fine. (Not so sure of todays guest host has those skills, her voice alone made me fade out earlier in the show.)

But at the end of the day, who cares? I care no more of her opinion than I do a Kardashain, or any Housewife of (XYZ), or any other Reality TV show. At the end of the day I hold no interest in people who are nothing but a Brand name. By that I mean all they have to brand is their name - and nothing else of any real accomplishment. Being notorious and not really achieving anything but getting such attention is not a real and most certainly wont be a lasting accomplishment.

It saddens me that so much time is spent in this country letting these Brand-Only celebrities get so much time in a constant state of "pitching" their brand. Regretfully the Internet and E-entertainment (not necessarily in that order) have allowed people to get a few hours of fame over what really should be ONLY 15 minutes! At the most!

I'd never say ban such guests like this, but maybe less of them...more content less fluff! Oh and less silly cooking/foody segments! FYI WNYC producers, the world out there, in the cars and home listening, are for the most part not Hipsters and ultra trendoids hopping on the newest Manhattan and Brooklyn buzz/trend.

As to the path WNYC has been going of late - also sort of sad. Way too much time spent fawning over actors...every show seems to pass the same guests around like the guests are there on a circuit. I think its the fawning that most annoys me...its just so...so adolescent. I can almost see the hosts - Leonard, Brian, Terry, etc - pulling out their wall posters for a signature!

Jan. 14 2014 05:32 PM
Susan from East Village

I don't have an issue with wnyc presenting the "conservative" and "progressive" sides of a story. My issue is with the difference between "commercial" and "public" broadcasting. When I first started listening to wnyc many years ago you would never hear a celebrity interview or anything remotely close to a guest like Nicole Polizzi who refers to "Snooki" as her "brand". The reality is that the programming at wnyc has changed. It is much more commercial now. Maybe that is not an issue for you but I definitely prefer when it was much more of a public radio forum.

Jan. 14 2014 05:01 PM
Stacey from NYC

It makes me laugh to see how harshly people have reacted to her being on the show. Although I figured that would be the case! I am a financial supporter of WNYC and also watch reality TV including Snookie's shows. I don't think those two items need to be mutually exclusive. I think we all listen to and support WNYC because we value diverse programming. That is exactly what WNYC continues to do and why we love them. Your arguments as to why WNYC shouldn't have Snookie on would be the same as saying they shouldn't present both the conservative and progressive views of a particular story.

Jan. 14 2014 04:11 PM
Mike Fallopian from The Big Apple

some of the comments *here*

Jan. 14 2014 03:06 PM
Mike Fallopian from The Big Apple

I applaud you for having the audacity to bring such a polarizing but deeply brilliant figure to your program. I thoroughly appreciated the candor with which Ms. Polizzi spoke about the universal topics of pregnancy, motherhood, and feminism. I am not sure I could have thought of someone more qualified to discuss these issues.

Ms. Polizzi was first brought to my attention when she visited my alma mater, Rutgers University, to lend her insights on the value of a college education. “Study hard, but party harder,” she zealously urged us before tackling other lofty subjects, such as the merits of New Jersey and the importance of being tan. My life was profoundly enriched by her speech, her words forever embedded in my consciousness.

Her appearance on your show today had a similarly edifying effect on my outlook. It seems that some of the other listeners were not as pleased by her presence, and some of the comments her are stupefying and upsetting. Keep up the great work, Lenny.

Jan. 14 2014 03:03 PM
R. McGeddon

I was also wondering why Snooki would be on this show. Then came the comments about Chris Christie. Now I'm a fan.

Jan. 14 2014 02:41 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

@hilts:

"Public radio is supposed to be an oasis from people like Snooki and what she represents..."

Says who? Who elected you or anyone other individual to make the rules for everyone else?

That 99.9% of what WNYC provides aligns with what you approve of isn't enough? It must be 100%? You cannot conceive that someone on an equally "high plain" as yourself might want to listen to this woman, to dip a toe in the water once in a while, of how the other side thinks and what "their" concerns and sensibilities are about?

And yes, she represents the overwhelming tide of "dumbing down" (but I regard all the smart elitists walking around looking down at the smart phones attached to their hands as part of that dumbing down, so....), but at least this woman has figured out that she needed to mature into responsible motherhood.

There's a difference between being interested in high brow and trying to impose those preferences on others.

Jan. 14 2014 02:33 PM
Susan from East Village

Although being open to "different experiences & sensibilities" is generally a good thing I am not interested in hearing a commercial reality star show on a public radio show. Do people watching a sporting channel want to see a food show on that same channel? I would not want to. I have watched Snooki on her reality show with her baby & husband and found it interesting. It is important to mention, as it seems some of the commenters do not know this but that many public radio listeners are members as that is how the station is funded as opposed to being funded by commercials of commercial brands which usually means the station has to suck up to the people who are paying to support the program which often times means compromising on quality of content.

Jan. 14 2014 02:15 PM
elise from teaneck, nj

As a supporter, I guess you could say I pay for this programming. I am one of the long-term unemployed struggling to merely exist. I dig deep to provide what I can because I value quality programming. Snooki and her ilk are the antithesis of what I believed to WNYC/NPR to represent and I am truly saddened to see she was given even a second of air time. It validates her to be on this show, it insults the majority of your listeners and supports, and it seems to go against the grain of what I of thought were public radio's values. Like the majority of responders, we listen to WNYC to escape (or as Snooki would say, "excape") reality TV and its offspring. Did a programmer think it was ironic to have her speak? Does someone think she has a valid opinion? All I know is that I am going to see if I can stop my monthly donations immediately. Ask Snooki to pick up the tab, she is certainly financially better off than I. A few more "stunts" like this and you'll loose me as a listener forever. NPR, you've broken my heart.

Jan. 14 2014 02:14 PM

I'm glad you take guests like Snooki on the program, but this segment simply does not interest me.

I wish her luck.

Jan. 14 2014 02:02 PM
hilts

To the defenders of this segment, this is not about elitism or snobbery.

Fans of Snooki have countless venues to see or hear her tell her story. Public radio is supposed to be an oasis from people like Snooki and what she represents, which is a drastic dumbing down of our culture.

Jan. 14 2014 01:49 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I meant in my earlier post to say that I've been a listener LONGER than....

I guess the bottom-line message from the overwhelming majority of comments on this segment is that when someone claims that NPR listeners are a bunch of Birkenstock-wearing, elitist snobs, they're not just pulling that notion out from their butts.

These talk shows on WNYC SHOULD occasionally be open to different experiences and sensibilities, else we are only in a cultural echo chamber and house of mirrors.

Jan. 14 2014 01:45 PM

Hey I'm just looking forward to the day that Leonard has Jenna Jamison on
to discuss her body of work.

@ Dave, I'm defintely looking forward to that interview with Kim Kardashian. She's way hotter than Snooki, and I can't wait to find
out how life has changed, now that she has little North West.

Wow! This is exactly why tuned into WNYC.....

Jan. 14 2014 01:39 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

And yes--"chazerai" needs to work itself back into the contemporary lexicon!

Jan. 14 2014 01:34 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

The time WNYC allotted to hearing this ding babble on about her fabulous life provided me enough time to re-line the compost bin, feed the dog and think about the proportion of our charitable giving WNYC occupies.

At the very least, this proves that the guest slate is determined by aggressive p.r. people, rather than audience segment consideration. New York/New Jersey/Connecticut is full of interesting people; why bother with a bombastic reality television figure? Was Kathie & Hoda's slate full?

Jan. 14 2014 01:31 PM
antonio from baySide

@ MichaelB,

I hear ya, but wouldn't you rather have more time for something less trite? I mean was this segment interesting? Or something you've always been curious aobut?
I for one would love the next segment to have had more of this time...And frankly this show does have a bar which I believe is what the others were talking about...

Jan. 14 2014 01:28 PM

I agree with gentlemen who suggested we're not terribly open minded about this young woman but I am going to switch over to the fabulous jonathan channel--it is EXCELLENT!

Jan. 14 2014 01:27 PM
b from BK

all of you commenters crying about I'm a member, outrage etc etc....

get over yourselves and try not to take yourselves so seriously

This is way better the the endless narcissistic masturbation sessions with the myopic actors, novelist and playwrights

Jan. 14 2014 01:23 PM

I guess this is "balanced" journalism. Jane Pauley vs. Snooki.
I have never seen her show nor care to do so, though I am glad for her and her child sake she has lessened her party ways.
Didn't she write a book already?

Jan. 14 2014 01:23 PM
SB from MAnhattan

Is this NPR??????

Jan. 14 2014 01:21 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I have never watched a single "reality" show. In fact, I've never seen 99% of the HBO-type shows.

And I'll bet I've been a listener and supporter of WNYC than anyone who's written in here so far.

But WHAT. A. BUNCH. OF. SNOBS you all are. Such delicate little creatures, to have to listen to 10 minutes of "low brow."

And what a bunch of hypocrites, because I'm sure you all regard yourselves as "open-minded." Yeah, when it's something you agree with or want to hear. Which makes the point about being "open-mined" moot and useless.

Jan. 14 2014 01:19 PM
Nancy from Brooklyn

Horrors! An insufficiently educated young woman discussing parenthood on public radio. Will listeners ever recover?

Jan. 14 2014 01:19 PM
Dave

Fascinating. Now I know what's been going on with Snookie. Can WNYC book Kim Kardashian next?

Jan. 14 2014 01:17 PM
Joy from Maplewood

Turning off WNYC. Silence is sooo much better. I'm a sustaining member - might be time to review this decision...

Jan. 14 2014 01:16 PM
db from New York

Why are we listening to this interview?!?
This is not the content that made us contribute to the WNYC pledge drive! We could have it easily got from mainstream media
Although I have to admit the shallowness is quite amuzing

Jan. 14 2014 01:16 PM
Ro from SoHo

I don't know who Snooki is - but this is beyond painful! This is a disgrace! WNYC what happened???

Jan. 14 2014 01:15 PM
Gary from Port Washington, NY

Leonard is away and not dead, thank goodness, nevertheless he is turning in his grave. How much pressure did you get from the publishing company to have Snooki on the show. She has her place in popular culture and on lower grade broadcasting, but not on WNYC. You have tarnished the high quality of the Leonard Lopate show, nothing against Nicole Polizzi, but this is not the proper place for her. I am sure Leonard is embarrassed by this. This is not tabloid radio.

Jan. 14 2014 01:15 PM
Jbee from Manhattan

It was an unintended pregnancy. Of course. Few guys would commit to a woman with such a past. She said "it made me the woman I am today" so there are a whole bunch of dudes snickering about how they "made her"

Jan. 14 2014 01:15 PM
Sonja from Brooklyn

Why do I have to listen to this? You couldn't find someone else, anyone else to interview?

Jan. 14 2014 01:15 PM
antonio from baySide

As a contrast, when Leonard Lopate returns we should have Michio Kaku, the 'Guru's of how-to' and Martha Plimpton!

Jan. 14 2014 01:14 PM
Michelle from Bkyn

To those complaining-please. We have have a woman who decided to throw caution to the wind and become a mother at 26, despite all the other things she could be doing. On the heels of the previous guest discussing the myths of later motherhood-this is actually very appropriate.

Good for you, Nicole. Never watched Jersey Shore, but I'm always happy to see people evolve.

Jan. 14 2014 01:14 PM
Lou

How about every listen to the interview first? SMH, damn public radio listeners, most judgmental audience ever, seriously.

Jan. 14 2014 01:13 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Oh, I'm sure she "wrote" her "book" herself.

Jan. 14 2014 01:12 PM
Anna from Bergen

Time to switch to music.

Jan. 14 2014 01:12 PM
Nick from UWS

Listening to this I like this Nicole Polizzi and I think she's one smart lady.

Jan. 14 2014 01:12 PM
Donn from Jersey City

I cannot believe I'm listening to an interview w/ Snooki on WNYC. Wit all the great books books being published, this the is author chosen to be interviewed?

I think I may have to ask for a refund of my recent pledge!

Jan. 14 2014 01:10 PM
genejoke from Brooklyn

I'm a bit shocked that you have a guest on who is the polar opposite (total idiot) of your listeners (largely enlightened/educated).

Jan. 14 2014 01:10 PM
john from office

When will anna ask her about the middle east, Obama and the federal reserve??

Jan. 14 2014 01:09 PM
DK in BK

You can't get more divergent then the previous segment with venerable journalist Jane Pauley to well, Snookie.

Her publicist is hard at work 'rebranding' her.

Jan. 14 2014 01:09 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Isn't a little early for April Fool's?
Why are you asking a low-grade moron questions about politics? What station am I listening to??

Jan. 14 2014 01:08 PM
Mark from Manhattan

I had to re-check the calendar to make sure today wasn't April 1.

Jan. 14 2014 01:02 PM

This is a prank, right?

Jan. 14 2014 12:57 PM

time to re think my monthly donor status to WNYC. As a first generation American of Italian descent who lives in NJ, the Jersey Shore cast has been a blight on my heritage and an offensive stereotype. This clown should never have been able to capitalize on her trashy ways. I have more respect for go go dancers.

Jan. 14 2014 12:40 PM
john from office

chazerai!!! I love it!!I have not heard that word in years. Thank you

Jan. 14 2014 12:25 PM
John from Bklyn

This is a low point. Really. Without even getting into the whole ridiculous celeb culture thing; people like this already get enough attention in mainstream media.

I'll be sure to turn off your next pledge drive.

Jan. 14 2014 12:22 PM
Steven Levine from Brooklyn

Snooki???? Leonard, I have great respect for you and your show for providing great interviews I can find nowhere else. I used to say that your show made me feel smart. If there is a God, he is a vengeful one for bringing such chazerai to WNYC and your fine program.

Jan. 14 2014 12:06 PM
john from office

When will we have the "Situation" on too. This is not why WNYC exist. These "stars" are the reason I don't watch TV any more and why our children seek fame and not accomplishment. Len should be ashamed.

Jan. 14 2014 12:04 PM
A Disappointed WNYC Member from Brooklyn

I never thought I'd see the day when WNYC interviewed Snooki. What an embarrassment. This isn't why I support non-profit radio -- this is why we have the E! network. When Leonard went on vacation, did the show's standards go with him?

Jan. 14 2014 11:09 AM