Moreland Commission and More

Monday, July 28, 2014

Karen DeWitt, capital bureau chief for New York State Public Radio, talks about the continuing fallout from the governor's interactions with the Moreland Commission and how it might play out with state elections this fall.

Karen DeWitt

Unemployed New Yorker from Queens

Cuomo has lied to New Yorkers with his open for business, new new York advertisements. He could of used that money to hire capable people to operate some of his state offices. As I witnessed Dept. of Labor's office this morning where I had gone back in time. Rep asked me if look on the internet for jobs? As this person had a typewriter near there desk. Brian Lehrer please go to DOL offices and do a Roger Moore there with your cameras.

Jul. 29 2014 03:09 PM
Sarah from Park Slope

And Cuomo is considering giving his friends at FreshDirect $112 million in State cash grants and taz breaks, through the ESD, someone look into that!

Jul. 28 2014 09:49 PM
Gadfly state employee from Brooklyn

I have witnessed first hand many political appointments in state offices. People who are not qualified, but somehow a favor was done. Transparency doesn't happen on the 2nd floor at all. Constituents are pissed and nobody is responding to the following:
GW Bridge closing - Howard Glazer said it was a NJ problem. Well, well it wasn't and New Yorkers were stuck in traffic.
Civil Service - exams given years ago, but nobody gets these jobs. You sit on lists for years while connected ppl get jobs.
Challenge Grant and other state grants - nobody knows when they are going to be released. No communications at all of grants when organizations have applied for them in 2013.
Womens Equity Line - it's a joke. How many women have quit this administration? You have Leecia Eve who jumped ship, Juanita Scarlette and many others.
Small Business Division - NO success stories to be told. It's all a bunch of lies.
Tourism Dept. - another hot mess run by Empire State Development who didn't answer a simple foil request of where the $$ was going.

Jul. 28 2014 08:22 PM
Brenda R. from Queens, NY

I voted for Cuomo for the same reason many New Yorkers did. I believed he would be honest, transparent, capable and be able to get rid of the "good old boy" money in politics and the power mongering. I was wrong and extremely disappointed. I guess having Mario for a father immediately elevated him to NY political fiefdom. (He ranks right up there with Hevesi in how we NYrs believed in the man and were let down.)

Jul. 28 2014 12:10 PM
mike from long island

it should be pretty obvious Cuomo disbanded the moreland commission in exchange for the state legislature falling in line with his agenda. there was no meaning full reform at all. he is a corrupt as can be, and i would vote for a housecat before i ever voted for him again.

Jul. 28 2014 11:30 AM
sp from nyc

When I voted for Cuomo, I had high hopes of a progressive, honest (or at least more progressive, more honest) state government than we had enjoyed heretofore. More fool I, but, as the adage goes, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"; I will not be voting for Cuomo again. Why?
1. He is clearly on the side of the corrupt, if not, at least technically, among them. His $33 million campaign fund (notably not included in his pathetic attempt to distract us with public funding for the comptroller race only) is far from transparent. His take-down of the Moreland Commission when they turned out to be more than window dressing for his ongoing corruption is now beyond doubt.
2. His pandering to the charter (read hedge fund) lobby, without regard ot the real harm done to true public schools (after all, hedge funders make big donations, public school kids do not).
3. His coy dissembling on fracking, despite ever accumulating evidence that it poisons the water and air, causes earthquakes where they never occurred before, and brings social problems well documented in the towns and states previously sold this bill of goods.
Democrats need to get out the vote for Teachout and Wu in the primary; Cuomo's "values" aren't ours.

Jul. 28 2014 10:26 AM
Jeff from New York

Cuomo shouldn't feel confident that Democrats will fall in line just to avoid electing a Republican. First, he is a Republican barely pretending to be a Democrat--see tax cuts for the rich and their privileged heirs, propping up a Republican state Senate, etc. ad nauseum. Second, we have an excellent alternative in Zephyr Teachout. I voted for Cuomo in the last election, but never will again, no matter what office he runs for.

Jul. 28 2014 10:25 AM
dan k from park slope

Brian, I have great respect for you. Please consider using a description like "anti-abortion," or "anti-choice," rather than "pro-life," to describe those against abortion and choice.

Jul. 28 2014 10:09 AM