What's Your Reason to Love NYC?

Monday, December 16, 2013

New York Skyline (CJ Isherwood)

Subway performers. Citi Bike. Rats in retreat. Great drinking water. Carl Swanson, editor-at-large at New York Magazine, talks about the annual New York Magazine feature Reasons to Love New York -- and helps get your nominations for reasons to love NYC in 2013.

Carl Swanson

art525 from Park Slope

Dolan? Dolan? really? He's like Foghorn Leghorn. Well except that Foghorn was earnest. Dolan is a blustering phony.

Dec. 16 2013 09:58 PM
Amy from Manhattan

The Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park (which I play/sing in almost every year), & all the free music in parks & elsewhere.

Dec. 16 2013 12:01 PM
Sue from NYC

Why thank you, Robert! If you were straight and you asked me, I'd accept if I wasn't committedly single!

Dec. 16 2013 12:00 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ha Jeb, so that's why there is no "stopping & frisking" on the UWS or UES then?

Dec. 16 2013 12:00 PM

I ♥ Sue from NYC!!

Dec. 16 2013 12:00 PM
Tom from Park Slope

The best-looking, hottest guys in the world!

Dec. 16 2013 11:58 AM
Hollis from Brooklyn

Many reasons but especially love that I don't need a car get to our all of our great and diverse neighborhoods.

Dec. 16 2013 11:57 AM

I enjoy watching 60's and 70's liberalism coming to an end.

Dec. 16 2013 11:57 AM
Robert from NYC

HA HA HA oh Sue, I love you, if I were straight I'd ask your hand in marriage. LOL, Cardinal Dolan? Really Ed?

Dec. 16 2013 11:56 AM
antonio from baySide

The parks, seriously; Has anybody been to 'Alley Pond?' It's really rustic. It's sort of beat up and doesn't look like the shire like Prospect Park, but I love it!

Dec. 16 2013 11:55 AM
kate.a from brooklyn

I always tell out-of-town guests that there are three reasons I love NYC--the diversity, the diversity & the diversity. This is followed by the fact that all I need to explore this diversity is a MetroCard.

Dec. 16 2013 11:53 AM
Jeb from Brooklyn

Literally anything -- legal or illegal -- can be delivered to your door!

Dec. 16 2013 11:49 AM
lk from Brooklyn

The diversity. NYC is now a brown city which more closely represents the whole world's population.

Dec. 16 2013 11:46 AM
Sue from NYC

I had an abortion just to piss off Ed from Larchmont.

Dec. 16 2013 11:45 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Your so-called "Golden Age" ended 4 years ago.

Dec. 16 2013 11:23 AM

Abortion from Larchmont puts us asleep again.

Dec. 16 2013 11:16 AM

NYC is like a drug habit: You know it's not good for you, but you do it anyway.

Dec. 16 2013 11:14 AM
Robert from NYC

I'm just used to it. Born and raised here and it's just a habit. I like it but I've traveled enough to know that it's not the BEST city in the world as many here like to boast. In fact, in many things it is but second and third rate as far as quality of life goes. But I find it hard to move because I'm just habituated to a life here where I've been all my life.

Dec. 16 2013 11:09 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

NYC? Worst big city, except for all the others. Don't love it, but I won't leave it either. Been there, done that. Shame that its Golden Age thanks to Bloomberg will soon be behind us. NYC now has no place to go but down.

Dec. 16 2013 10:47 AM
Ed from Larchmont

St. Patrick's, both of them, the thousands of churches, Cardinal Dolan, the UN. But NYC is the center of abortion, so it's not going to be loved for much longer.

Dec. 16 2013 09:56 AM
ginger baker from hell's kitchen

lots of reasons to love nyc! the real estate, low crime, awesome restaurants, Magnolia cupcakes, a cvs on every other block, and, don't forget, all the smug and smarmy yupsters at the forefront of it all! I soooo heart ny!

Dec. 16 2013 09:46 AM
art525 from Park Slope

There are so many reasons to love New York. My favorite is probably The Met. I thnk it might just be the best art museum in the world. Prospect Park too. I think the thing I hate most about New York these days is the zombies on their iPhones. People walking down the street paying no attention to where they are going, people standing half way up the stairs of the subway exits holding up all the commuters, after 35 years of lving in (and loving) New York it almost enough to make me want to leave the city. Well that and stroller moms (you'll notice I live in Park Slope). There is an unprecedented level of self absorption in the city these days.

Dec. 16 2013 09:29 AM