Mollie Katzen's Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation

Friday, November 22, 2013

Vegetarian cookbook pioneer and illustrator Mollie Katzen talks about her new cookbook, The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation. With The Moosewood Cookbook, Katzen brought vegetarian cuisine into the mainstream. In this new book, she  reinvents the vegetarian repertoire, introducing her “absolutely most loved” dishes.

Mollie Katzen
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Good segment.

Nov. 22 2013 03:30 PM
Rebecca from Brooklyn

Marilyn, when I was vegan I liked Earth Balance as a butter substitute. Nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor and I would sprinkle it on everything. It has a lot of B vitamins.

Nov. 22 2013 12:57 PM
marilyn gilbert

I forgot to add--no soy is a requirement for the faux cheese and the margerine. Thanks

Nov. 22 2013 12:56 PM
Marilyn Gilbert

THis year I am making the vegan dish for Thanksgiving. I am planning a Savory Butternut squash Pie with Hazelnuts--I need to find vegan margarine and "parmesean" cheese.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Nov. 22 2013 12:52 PM
Rebecca from Brooklyn

I make a lentil loaf with mushroom gravy for my main dish. My carnivorous friends really like it, too!

Nov. 22 2013 12:47 PM
Suzanna from Brooklyn

I always make stuffed portobello mushrooms as my main dish (been a vegetarian for 17 years, though I guess now a pesce-tarian, just started eating fish again). Make the stuffing with chopped mushrooms, carrots, celery, rice and maybe cheese and veggie broth. I always put a little curry powder or marsala in the mix too. Clean portobellos, brush with a little oil and salt/pepper, and stuff. Bake at about 425 for 20 minutes. Very meaty and filling!

Nov. 22 2013 12:25 PM