Milton Glaser Takes on Global Dying

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Milton Glaser, the legendary designer who came up with the "I [Heart] NY" logo, has a new campaign focused on climate change, featuring a green and black planet Earth and the tagline "It's Not Warming. It's Dying." He discusses the design and climate change awareness. You can get your buttons here.

Designer Milton Glaser stands in front of a banner on the side of the SVA building, representing his "It's Not Warming" campaign.

Milton Glaser

rs

Arrogant. The planet is not dying, it will be here long after we will

Sep. 22 2014 05:20 AM
Emil Parente from California

It's a pity Mr. Glaser does not stay with his field of expertise. Any Cooper Union chemical engineering graduate student could inform him that climate change is junk science - it violates thermodynamic principles.

Aug. 11 2014 07:44 PM
NikFromNYC from NYC

Promoting a soft landing for such an Enron level scam is the ultimate sell out. Proof of the fraud appeared most clearly in the bladeless input data of the latest hockey stick sensation, understandable by anyone in a single glance:

Aug. 11 2014 04:28 PM
Michael D'Elia from Brooklyn, NY

I really appreciate that Milton Glaser is taking on this global issue, but I think the tag line, "It Isn't Warming, It's Dying," is terrible - especially if he's trying to target youth to take action. My objection is not the literal one that "The Earth is a rock that cannot die." I understand that Glaser is referring to all life on Earth, but his tagline strikes me as doom-saying. There's a fine line between encouraging activism and making people overwhelmed and fatalistic about such a huge problem. It is crucial for us to remain hopeful. I certainly feel that urgent action is needed, and, in that vein, I will participate in the upcoming September 21st Climate March here in NYC.

Aug. 06 2014 07:14 PM
Windy2

Great another anti-science moron pandering to ignorant death cult enthusiasts who think the world is ending.

Aug. 06 2014 04:42 PM

The Earth is a rock, and it's fine!

The humans, on the other hand....

Aug. 06 2014 02:07 PM
Paul from UWS

Thank you Milton for your altruistic and responsible attention to this issue, by giving people an image of solidity from which to connect, and bridge the gaps between like-minded climate crusaders. As a practicing designer myself, it is unfortunate that some people have chosen to comment on the design execution, rather than its intent and potential as a powerful 'viral' image. Hopefully we all will rise above amateur design critiques, and rally around the critical issue at hand.

I will be posting "http://itsnotwarmingitsdying.com" to my social media sites today!

Aug. 06 2014 02:04 PM
Jessica Pellegrino

Am I the only editor getting snagged on the punctuation in the otherwise-excellent tagline? Why no comma or period after "warming"?

Aug. 06 2014 01:32 PM
Gail Flanery

Bravo Milton! Excellent....

Aug. 06 2014 12:51 PM
Carl W. Smith

Great idea"!"
Milton, we LOVE the animation as you click on itsnotwarming.com it has an organic “lava lamp” quality. Have you thought about making the buttons animated too?

Aug. 06 2014 11:36 AM
Peg

@ Joyce - there's lots of data that refutes what you claim. Where are you getting YOUR data from? your climate controlled home or office?

Aug. 06 2014 11:36 AM
Joan Rubenstein

Not about global warming, but a sweet anecdote---My husband, the late Mort Rubenstein, was an art director at CBS for many years. He and I were in the bookshop in Giverny, home of the artist, Monet, when I asked him if he'd like to buy any of the posters displayed. Mort said, "The only one I like is that one". I asked the receptionist who the artist was, and she said (in her lovely French accent) "Mil-ton Gla-zer" (accents on the second syllable). I repeated it to Mort, who said,''Milton Glazer---I know him well! He's wonderful!" I never forgot it. I'm sure he'll be successful in his latest endeavor.

Aug. 06 2014 11:23 AM
tom from astoria

"free Spacers" While on the outside there are many phone charging slots, the inside could be a space to re organize yourself'' a flat surface to put down your iPad or paper tablet and pen, a slot for coffee cup… all spaces are slanted now so we desperately need a simple unoccupied flat space

Aug. 06 2014 11:19 AM

This reminds me -- whatever happened to "Living On Earth?"

It was an excellent hourly show that spreads knowledge through straight journalism... I think it aired on WNYC -- did the station drop it?

Seems to be operating at loe.org

Aug. 06 2014 11:14 AM
Pat from Maplewood

I like it, but if you want it to work you need to use the tagline: that makes it powerful.

Aug. 06 2014 11:11 AM
Ruth from Queens NYC

I have long admired Mr. Glaser, and am thrilled he is doing this. I am concerned, however, at a missed opportunity: As someone who has been making buttons for some years now, I have a sense of how buttons are seen, or (often)not seen. This button, with NO words, will only reach those who already know what it is. Most people, perhaps especially in a sensory overload city like NYC, do not question small things they do not understand.
I deeply and sincerely hope I am completely wrong about this.

Aug. 06 2014 11:10 AM
TXC from Sutton Place South

The website is at: http://itsnotwarming.com/ Thank you, Mr. Glaser! I have been a lifelong fan.

Aug. 06 2014 11:10 AM
SF

I love the idea and the logo. I'm not so sure about the tag line. I like "Save our mother" or "Global warning" added to the "It's not warming, it's dying". But perhaps those could follow once the image is known.

Aug. 06 2014 11:09 AM
JJ

@ Joyce -- yes, one thought:

Take the "I turned off Fox for a week" challenge!

Aug. 06 2014 11:09 AM
Peg

Would love it if the media (NPR especially) would include the weekly "numbers" for Climate Change just the same way that Rissdal chants the daily financial "numbers." Give us the carbon in the atmosphere ("up from last week"), ocean temperature ("up from last week") ocean rise ("up from last week") water table amounts ("down from last week") and more indicators... storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, algal blooms. Just put them out there as a regular news issue - over and over again. Make people aware and constantly thinking about it. "And here's the Weekly Climate Report from NPR, PRI..." who should be the Host?

Thank you Milton Glaser.

Aug. 06 2014 11:08 AM
Joyce from NYC

Any thoughts about the fact that there haas been no warming for the past 19 years?

Aug. 06 2014 11:06 AM
Amy from Manhattan

"Global warming" wasn't the best choice of words in the 1st place--more people lately are using the more accurate "global climate disruption." My answer to those who think a blizzard disproves climate disruption is:

Climate =/= weather
Global =/= uniform

Aug. 06 2014 11:05 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

So here are my thoughts as a non-professional:

The use of color gradation (shift from black to green) is a gigantic mistake. It's nor reproducible by the art impaired nor easily identified if incorrectly reproduced. So, not iconic... nor will it be. Also, the earth isn't "dying". We cannot destroy the earth even with every atomic weapon in every nation's arsenal. We may annihilate by our own hand every living thing in the biosphere but life will rise again afterwards, and not very long afterwards in the context of the life or the earth. Humanity is fated to annihilate itself, "recyclers" and "mulchers" will not save humanity. But the earth will be fine, don't worry about it.

Aug. 06 2014 11:04 AM
keith from NYC

Graphic arts can transform our experience of the life and elevate our consciousness. In response to September 11th I created a body of work collectively known as ArtAID. I cannot call in right now, but would be honored to exchange some important and inspired ideas with him directly if he would like to contact me.

Aug. 06 2014 11:03 AM

If you believe CO2 causes climate change, legalize hemp.
Hemp oil makes: good Diesel fuel & #2 heating oil.
Gasoline can be made from hemp.
Growing hemp binds up the CO2 for later release when burned, so hemp makes CO2 neutral fuels.

Aug. 06 2014 11:03 AM
bennett

I, too, am a graphic designer and admire Milton Glaser above all else. I think everyone gets the message wrong. The Earth is not dying. Human existence is in jeopardy. The Earth will be here long after we are gone.

Aug. 06 2014 11:02 AM
Sheree from Manhattan

Thank you, Mr. Glaser, for turning your talents to this most important issue. I encourage you and everyone to participate in the Peoples Climate March on Sunday, September 21. A wonderful and positive way to make our voices heard. I am participating with WE ACT, but there are many groups participating and working together.

Aug. 06 2014 11:02 AM
Bob

I think "dying" is an appropriate and powerful word. Dying is right considering that we are living in a period of accelerated extinction.

Aug. 06 2014 11:02 AM
amalgam from NYC by day, NJ by night

I'd certainly say that most - not just many - environmental groups work together. One could say that they aren't effective enough (and don't always play well together), but they do work together because they have no other option.

For instance: The Peoples' Climate March in NYC this September (the "Largest Climate March In History)

Aug. 06 2014 11:01 AM
Patricia from Westchester

There will be a huge rally in Manhattan to call attention to climate change and the dying planet on Sept 21. I hope he'll be there and we can represent his logo there.

Aug. 06 2014 11:00 AM
Brian from Forest Hills, NY

Sorry this logo is a miss for me. Besides the Earth does not die--we die. There will be other living things on Earth.

Aug. 06 2014 11:00 AM
Nick from UWS

Although.......not to put too fine a point on it....EVERYTHING is dying, at all times. As an unstoppable natural process.

Aug. 06 2014 11:00 AM

I admire Mr. Glaser and his intention immensely. Even the visual design works for me.

However, the tag line intersects with a personal pet peeve.

I do not believe the earth is dying. We are not eating organic, conserving energy, etc. because we are trying to save the earth. The earth is a rock.

This is about one thing: self-preservation. You pollute, you die.

Aug. 06 2014 10:58 AM
Bud from NJ

I love you Brian, but never ask Milton Glaser, "What is your design process." He doesn't know what that means or how to answer that question.

Aug. 06 2014 10:58 AM
Nick from UWS

I love this. Powerful....terrifying. A brilliant image.

Aug. 06 2014 10:57 AM
Elaine from baltimore

How about a gradation that is spherical to make it look more "global?"
As a graphic design, you are my hero!

Aug. 06 2014 10:56 AM
Steven from Brooklyn

He not busy being born is busy dying.....

Bob Dylan

Aug. 06 2014 10:56 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

Glaser is a legend but he's obviously lost it... sad. Still, better to be a "has been" than a "never was".

Aug. 06 2014 10:56 AM