Melissa Clark on Valentine's Day Specialties

Friday, February 14, 2014

Melissa Clark talks about aphrodisiacs like oysters, artichokes, figs and bananas, and what to make for Valentine’s Day. She'll also answer your questions about cooking and preparing a special Valentine's Day meal or any meal! She's a New York Times Dining Section columnist and cookbook writer, and her most recent cookbook is Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make.

Melissa Clark

peter from long island

Leonard commented on artichokes as being disseminated in Italy by Jews. I would respectfully disagree, although I love carciofi alla Giudaica.

I was born in Sicily and I remember eating boiled baby artichokes for la pasquetta, little Easter, as a child in the fifties. Not may Jews in Sicily.

Anyhow, I would refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artichoke.

How come nobody mentioned stuffed artichokes? Delicious!

Feb. 15 2014 04:17 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Susan from West Village: Oysters sure do look like something. Dave Barry describes them as "phlegm on a shell."

No offense to oysters, of course.

Feb. 14 2014 12:53 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

It's very nice that Ms. Clark wants to make special recipes for Valentine's Day, but I'm concerned about her ingredients. Especially for Valentine's Day, I'd want to serve a heart healthy meal to the one I love. An artery-clogging rib steak doesn't work.

Feb. 14 2014 12:51 PM
Mike from Tribeca

antonio from baySide -- According to Wikipedia's chocolate truffle page, "Their name derives from the usual shape they take as the word 'truffle' derives from the Latin word tuber, meaning 'swelling' or 'lump,' which later became tufer."

Feb. 14 2014 12:46 PM
Tony from Canarsie

I couldn't make hide nor David Hare out of Leonard's "Skylight" pun. ;-P

Feb. 14 2014 12:43 PM
sara from long island

For those of us with weird dietary restrictions, risotto is an excellent decadent dish that can be adapted to be vegan and gluten free. I am making a mushroom risotto tonight...

Feb. 14 2014 12:41 PM
Melissa from New York

I have some boiled pig trotter meat, a can of tomato paste and some leftover red wine. Any suggestions as to what I can put together quickly with these ingredients?

Feb. 14 2014 12:34 PM
margot from new york

Avocados brilliant with a not too gooey chicken salad; or those little shrimp.

also, agree let them ripen and then put in refrigerator. perfect.

Feb. 14 2014 12:32 PM
Peg

Famous "Ice Box"
Famous Ice Box Chocolate Cake

Buy a box or 2 of famous thin chocolate "ice box" cookies
1 pint heavy cream whipped

Stack cookies like bricks and spread the whipped cream "mortar" between layers of cookies - build like a wall into any shape you like.

Refrigerate at least 4 hours to soften cookies

Decorate (strawberries, cherries, nuts, shaved chocolate, whatever...) and Serve to your loved ones

Fast, Simple AND indescribably delicious!

Feb. 14 2014 12:31 PM
Ron Kluck

When the avocado is near ripe keep it in the refer. Keeps perfectly. restaurants do this.

Feb. 14 2014 12:28 PM
antonio from baySide

I know this isn't 'please explain?' but why do 'chocolate truffles' have the name 'truffles' in their names...
Truffles taste completely different...But both divine!

Feb. 14 2014 12:27 PM
genejoke from Brooklyn

FIGS are an aphrodisiac?? Because they look like what, testicles?
And now mushrooms? Leonard, PLEASE, just. STOP.

Feb. 14 2014 12:25 PM
Susan from West Village

I adore oysters. But is there any proof that they're an aphrodisiac? That they "look like something" is not convincing as an explanation.

Feb. 14 2014 12:18 PM
A.M. from nyc

This woman's inanity is very hard to bear. It's an insult to women, to those actually knowledgeable about food and cooking, and to the listenership. Listening to her prattle on about painfully obvious, or inaccurate, culinary "knowledge" is so depressing. WNYC, please have a little more regard for all concerned than this! Honestly, just because industry connections have allowed her to become a "brand" via NYT and various enmeshed publishing arms doesn't mean she deserves that distinction, or that WNYC should keep uncritically featuring her on the show! Ever stop and listen to what she actually says? Come on, you're smart, savvy, discerning people: do your own curating of baseline-interesting content. *This* is why you don't get more money from me. Sheesh!

Feb. 14 2014 12:17 PM
genejoke from Brooklyn

I wish I could un-hear the following:

"It's not just a romance between my husband and myself - it's a family romance."

"Any food that you think is sexy, is an aphrodisiac."

More to come, I'm sure.

Feb. 14 2014 12:12 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

This woman yammers faster than a speed-typist can type!

Feb. 14 2014 12:09 PM

Shouldn't that be /purported/ aphrodisiacs?

Are such claims for all of the mentioned foods backed by any science?

Feb. 14 2014 12:01 PM