Melissa Clark Picks Pumpkins

Friday, October 11, 2013

It's pumpkin-picking season. Melissa Clark shares her suggestions for what do with pumpkin—from soups to seed. She's New York Times Dining Section columnist and cookbook writer, and her most recent cookbook is Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make.

Melissa Clark

AF from NY

For the listener asking for a spaghetti squash recipe, this one is delicious!!

Oct. 11 2013 03:13 PM
Andrea from Philadelphia

@Jodi from Stamford You could mash or puree it, add cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar or maple syrup and tell them it's pudding

Oct. 11 2013 12:50 PM
Andrea from Philadelphia

@Molly from Brooklyn: I ALWAYS roast butternut squash with the skin on. I scoop it out for soups and purees, but if you want to cut it into chunks, you can just let it cool a bit and then peel it.

Oct. 11 2013 12:44 PM
Mrs. Magillacutty from Elmira

Squash is very good for settling and easing the digestion. The reason it comes in a season late in the year, when the plant foods that we eat will either come from deep in the earth or with hardened shells w/ the "food" deep inside (squash), is indicative of the nutritional effect that squash brings to the body. It is meant to be the heavy, filling, "calming", dense food source that brings a "full calmness" to the body. It DEFEATS the Natural purpose of squash to do all these "topical and agitating" things to squash, such as pickle it (bad), put agitating sugar all over it, covering it with "crème & eggs", or try to make it a "light" thing. Squash is none of those things. Cook squash in deep simmering stews and let it mutually flavor the other (fall) foods in the squash. Bake it slowly and eat it as the centerpiece of your meal. Squashes are a delicious flavor all unto itself. With specific nutritional affects on the digestive system.

Oct. 11 2013 12:42 PM
Joanne from NYC Thanks

please 'tweet Leonard and me'--- objective case ! not 'I' nominative case

Oct. 11 2013 12:40 PM
Robert from NYC

I think you meant to say, "Please tweet Leonard and ME" not Leonard and I.

Oct. 11 2013 12:39 PM
Jodi from Stamford

Hi, does anybody have a good kid-friendly snack, not baked goods, for a school party that involves squash or pumpkin?

Oct. 11 2013 12:38 PM
Nancy Gagnier from Maplewood

Butter nut squash and kale over pasta is great! Cube squash, saute with garlic and olive oil. Cook until soft. Add fresh chopped kale. Season with salt and pepper--fresh sage is a nice addition. Toss with penne. (If you want a saucier version, cook squash in some chicken broth)

Oct. 11 2013 12:38 PM
jd

I was in Nepal this spring, and sauteed pumpkin leaves was a common dish on thali plates there. Are pumkin leaves in the US edible?

Oct. 11 2013 12:38 PM
Alexandra from Astoria

Instead of the Greek spinach pie (spanakopita), my mother would make a pumpkin fillo "pie". She would make it with a homemade fillo but if you can't make your own, buy the country thickness. The salty tang of the she eps feta is a delicious compliment!

Oct. 11 2013 12:38 PM
Dennis from Sullivan County

Hokkaido Squash is also known as Red Kuri and are available at the greenmarket.

Oct. 11 2013 12:35 PM
Eve Jochnowitz from East VIllage

The orange kabocha squash is called "red kuri" squash.

Oct. 11 2013 12:35 PM
Andrea from Philly

I LOVE Delicata squash! I bake it whole like a potato, stays moister, denser, sweeter than cutting in half and baking in water. stuffed is yummy too. I put olive oil and salt on it, olive oil with a bite is a good contrast!

Oct. 11 2013 12:33 PM
Peg from Willseyville NY

Rippled mashed potatoes and squash:

Use equal amounts potatoes and squash.
Cook them separately
Mash them separately (add salt, butter and milk/cream as you usually do)
Then fold the squash through the potatoes to make a swirling pattern
Serve!!!

Beautiful AND delicious!

Oct. 11 2013 12:32 PM
stefano giovannini from 11206

In Italy pumpkin and squash are both referred as "zucca". No separate term. Just zucchini are called zucchine, which somehow means small pumpkins.

Oct. 11 2013 12:30 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

@ Sally from Bergen County NJ: It's a problem for anyone on Lipitor. The structure of the molecules in this highly saturated fat seems to lend itself to flaky crusts, but that same structure readily clogs arteries. Good cop, bad cop.

@ Melissa: As you spend your working life experimenting with recipes, I want to know if there's something you or your family like so much that you find yourself making it repeatedly.

Oct. 11 2013 12:30 PM
Linda from Jersey Shore

calabaza which is used in Puerto Rico and many islands are tough to cut but they are so good roasted with oil and salt. Also used in Puerto Rican beans with olives, capers red and black beans (well I like the black). SO GOOD

Oct. 11 2013 12:29 PM
Melissa from New York

Re savory squash: In the Philippines, we sautee butternut squash with garlic, shrimp, ginger and string beans, and throw in some coconut milk. We also sautee it with srhimp paste, string beans and eggplant.

Oct. 11 2013 12:29 PM
Camille from South Orange, NJ

Savory pumpkins!

My favorite thing to do is make a roasted pumpkin soup.

Roast a small sugar pumpkin, then combine the flesh with browned sausage, chicken stock, onions, carrots, salt, pepper, bay leaf. Finish with a little cream.

Tastes like fall!

Oct. 11 2013 12:29 PM
Molly from Brooklyn

I hate carving butternut squash but I love eating it. Could I roast it with the skin on and then soup out the flesh?

Oct. 11 2013 12:29 PM
Tonero from Brooklyn

Why ground ginger and fresh ginger in your pie recipe?

Oct. 11 2013 12:28 PM
Lee Ann from florida

After asking what the orange veg was my red curry was, I found out my favorite thai restaurant was using pumpkin in the red curry. So good.

Oct. 11 2013 12:28 PM
Stephen from Astoria

My favorite squash recipe is:

Penne with Pumpkin by Faith Willinger from her cookbook Reds White and Greens

Chunks of butternut or other squash are cooked slowly with olive oil, garlic and parsley. Add a bit of the pasta cooking water to the squash as it softens. Drain the pasta, toss with the squash and parmesan cheese.

Oct. 11 2013 12:27 PM
Estelle from Brooklyn

Squash and curry are wonderful together.

Oct. 11 2013 12:25 PM
Sally from Bergen County NJ

Isn't lard made from pork? Would this be a problem for some food restricted diets?

Oct. 11 2013 12:19 PM
Richard M. Pierce

Melissa hasn't mention buttercup, which I love. Actually prefer it to butternut. Richard, Brooklyn

Oct. 11 2013 12:17 PM
jade

KAbocha, please. KaBOcha hurts my ears!

Oct. 11 2013 12:14 PM