The Medical Marijuana Plan for New York State

Friday, January 10, 2014

Richard Gottfried, New York State Assembly Member (D-75th District) and Assembly Health Chair, explains Gov. Cuomo's plan to legalize limited medical marijuana use in New York State and outlines his plan, which is slightly different.

Richard Gottfried

Peg

Some I'm sorry apologies are actually opinions about being sorry for oneself to be in such a predicament. As in Christie's being sorry that his staff lied to him. It is not an apology if the apologist only feels sorry that she is somehow wounded by having to apologize.

Jan. 10 2014 11:52 AM
AL from NYC

Let's be real, NY State politicos.
If you really care about helping Medical Marijuana users, just make it legal to grow one's own, as in CA.
Why create a whole new level of BS bureaucracy?
By the way, a suggestion on reversing the wretched economy of most of upstate NY--really liberalize the marijuana laws and allow a growing culture to develope.
It did miracles for vast swathes of the CA North Coast.

Jan. 10 2014 11:44 AM

Cuomos support for this is purely political and not coming from any sense of justice. Let's all agree that politicians are by and large irrelevant. I'd urge everyone to ignore this development and just ask a friend where you can get some medical marijuana. In fact many already do this. We don't need your scummy stinking politics Cuomo.

Jan. 10 2014 11:38 AM
leslie bellsey from Manhattan

I have migraines, and I find that a little bit of medical marijuana has been helpful.
My friend in California obtains it through her doctor's prescription. That is what I would like. It has relieved
her pain and mine.

Jan. 10 2014 11:36 AM
Curious

What about production in NY?

Jan. 10 2014 11:30 AM

I like Gov. Cuomo but he is a coward.

Jan. 10 2014 11:28 AM

NJ has had mmj for years. Hardly anyone, even those who fully qualify, can get it. It's ridiculously restrictive and no one wants a dispensary in their neighborhood. Why? Have no idea. We have bars everywhere! The demonization of marijuana is ridiculous.

Jan. 10 2014 10:40 AM
LGNY from Brooklyn, NY

I'd love to have it available for my elderly aunt in assisted living who has no appetite. Growers have developed many different strains with many different properties, and what works well for chemotherapy-induced nausea doesn't necessarily work for chronic migraines, etc.

I'm glad NY is working on this, but what I've read about Cuomo's plan sounds restrictive in the wrong ways and downright nutty in others. Sourcing the pot from police confiscation? Really? That's dangerous! Make seriously ill people schlep to one of 20 locations in the state for dubious unknown medication? Other states have this worked out so much better. I hope we back this up and do it right.

Jan. 10 2014 10:09 AM