Adelle Waldman's The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Adelle Waldman's debut novel made a big impression when it was published last year—it was named one of the best books of the year by The New Yorker, Slate, NPR, and The New York Times. The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. follows writer Nate Piven, a young rising star in New York's literary world who can’t quite figure out his romantic life. It’s a portrait of a flawed and sometimes infuriating modern man searching for happiness, and it’s an honest look at how Nate thinks about women, sex, and love.

Leave your comments and questions about the book!

Adelle Waldman

Roz from New York

I liked this book and was fascinated by Nate and his friends. Afterwards I'm wondering if Hannah is Nate's true soul mate and why he seems to choose someone more superficial. Going to listen to the book discussion podcast now and see if I get any insights.

Jun. 03 2014 06:11 PM

I was so sick of Nate I never finished the book. Nate, Nate, Nate, Nate, Ugh!

May. 27 2014 10:17 PM
Lisa Greenfield

Thr story was so boring. who cares about Nate. He is so uninteresting. I couldn't finish the book.

May. 27 2014 01:27 PM
bonnerose@aol.com from East Village

I agree with Ann. I couldn't bear it or the characters. Wound up skimming most of it. It was so self-congratulatory and smarmy. Probably appeals to hipsters and those who think the characters in Girls are nice people.

May. 27 2014 12:35 PM
anna from Long Beach NY

I loved this book. I thought it was a very realistic depiction of modern day dating

May. 27 2014 12:03 PM
Carlin from New York City

I'm so glad Leonard will be discussing this excellent book. I read it when it came out and still think quite often about its larger themes of modern love and identity and also its smaller, dead-on depictions of how people judge each other and themselves. As someone who dated a few "Nates" in my day, I felt moved and also validated by the scenes in which Nate doesn't do anything that can be called out by Hannah per se, and yet is still being hurtful and careless. My question for Adelle: How do you think dating has been depicted in literature generally and what challenges did you face in tackling the topic in your novel?

May. 23 2014 08:40 AM
ann sherman

This comment is more for Leonard than Adelle. I honestly cannot understand why this book was chosen for the book club. I read it , and forced myself to finish it. But I honestly didn't care about this man and the whole thing seemed so shallow

May. 15 2014 03:22 PM