Matt Taibbi on the Rise of Injustice and Inequality in America

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Matt Taibbi discusses the intersection of two of the most troubling trends in American society—growing wealth inequality and mass incarceration. He argues that our current system of justice allows massively destructive fraud by the hyper-wealthy to go unpunished, while it turns poverty itself into a crime. His new book on the topic is The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap.

Matt Taibbi

(My question below was real -- I was just curious to hear MT's reply.

Could have been the birth of a movement!)

Jul. 03 2014 04:48 PM

Joel from New Jersey ~

…took the thought of my head.

What do you (we) do!?

Jul. 03 2014 12:42 PM
Steven from Brooklyn

From earlier this year:

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal's Anupreeta Das, Warren Buffett says Dimon is not getting paid enough.

“If I owned J.P. Morgan Chase, he would be running it and he would be making more money than the directors are paying him,” he told her.

Jul. 03 2014 12:38 PM
anon

I wish more journalists were covering the financial system in the US with as much rigor and tenacity as Taibbi. This is one of the most important issues in the US and we need to keep on talking about it.

Jul. 03 2014 12:32 PM
Joel from New Jersey

We all know the fix is in and the rich get richer and screw the masses. What do we do about it, seriously, I want to help. Voting doesn't work, taking my pittance out of the banks won't work. Is there an answer? Can things be fixed?

Jul. 03 2014 12:30 PM
Amy from Manhattan

This reminds me all too literally of the old rhyme: "The law will punish man or woman/Who steals the goose from off the common/But lets the greater felon loose/Who steals the common from the goose."

Jul. 03 2014 12:29 PM

Lanny Breuer is a pantywaist.

Jul. 03 2014 12:26 PM

We are now fully aware that the banks and government are working together, under a Democratic president no less, to screw us over.

At a certain point in W.'s presidency, morality diverged from legality. "If it's legal, and profitable, we must do it."

What is the purpose of your writing?

Jul. 03 2014 12:16 PM