Lupita Nyong’o on "12 Years a Slave"

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Lupita Nyong’o discusses playing the role of Patsey in “12 Years a Slave.” Nyong'o is also a filmmaker, who was the creator, director, editor, and producer of the award-winning feature-length documentary, “In My Genes,” which follows eight Kenyans born with albinism, a genetic condition that causes a lack of pigmentation.

Lupita Nyong’o

@Jeffrey

"Interesting that Leonard asks about Kenyans knowledge of the history of slavery in the US without mentioning the current practice of slavery in Kenya."

Even more interesting for me, is a comparison of modern (and ancient) practice of household slavery, largely a case of unpaid domestic help and how did it this practice become heritable chattel slavery in the new world.

The two practices, both capable of encompassing great tyranny, it is chattel slavery where the fruit of the labor of the enslaved is stolen by their owners seems far more pernicious and evil. The fact that supposed Christians could find a way to justify breaking their own commandments in order to establish the practice and used their laws to then make slavery a heritable condition is beyond me.

Nov. 21 2013 12:49 PM
Jeffrey

Nov. 20 2013 01:23 PM

@Robert from Brooklyn

It's not remake but a second telling. Completely different script adapted from the same original work. I didn't recall the Gordon Parks/PBS version either and now am on a hunt. It was one of Avery Brooks first TV works.

@Amy from Manhattan

Epps 'loved' Patsy the same way that many Americans (even those who hate their jobs) love payday. Not the same emotion really. If he couldn't exploit her, he wouldn't have cared about her at all.

Nov. 20 2013 01:22 PM
Robert Payne from Robert from Brooklyn

What I don't understand is that this movie was made in 1984 by Gordon Parks, yet there wasn't the fuss then as there is now. I for one had never heard of it. No one mentions that this is a remake. What gives?

Nov. 20 2013 01:04 PM
Diana from The Bronx

Please ask her about red carpet fashion - she's an instant all-star in the field.

Nov. 20 2013 12:59 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Leonard, I was just about to thank you for *not* using "love" for Epps's feeling toward Patsey, & then Ms. Nyong'o said it. I wonder if that's how Epps thought of it, &/or how Solomon Northup described it in his book. In any case, it bothers me to hear this twisted obsession called "love."

Nov. 20 2013 12:55 PM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

Thank you for your performance. It is compelling, nuanced and electric. It is also too hard to watch again. You are my choice for Best Actress honors but I am afraid that since your film is too revealing of the exploitive relationship between America and a class of people they thought of as property and whose labor was stolen for 250 years (and undervalued for even longer), I will be surprised if Hollywood embraces your performance.

Nov. 20 2013 12:44 PM