Lonnie Liston Smith is one of contemporary music's most versatile keyboardists. With a career spanning four decades, Smith has worked as a soloist, bandleader and sideman to greats including Miles Davis, Betty Carter, Max Roach and Pharoah Sanders.
He was Marian McPartland's guest on Piano Jazz in 2002. Smith presents his relaxed style on "What Is This Thing Called Love." Then he and McPartland swing into "C Jam Blues."
Originally broadcast in the winter of 2002.
- "What Is This Thing Called Love" (Porter)
- "Monk's Mood" (Monk)
- "Autumn Leaves" (Kozma, Prevert)
- "Stranger In Town" (Tormé)
- "Free Piece" (McPartland, Smith)
- "The Creator Has A Master Plan" (Sanders, Thomas)
- "My Favorite Things" (Rodgers, Hammerstein)
- "Speak Low" (Arlen, Koehler)
- "Blue Bossa" (Dorham)
- "C Jam Blues" (Ellington)