Longtime WNYC Radio Personality Steve Post Dies

Monday, August 04, 2014

WNYC
Steve Post (Discourtesy of Laura Rosenberg)

WNYC's former host and radio personality Steve Post was known for being at once warm and bitter, intelligent and funny, and always on-target.

The Bronx native, who died Sunday at age 70, had been interested in radio since he was a boy, when he made pretend shows at home with his father’s tape recorder. He began his professional career at WBAI radio in 1965. He later hosted WNYC’s long-running Morning Music program and created The No Show, an eclectic blend of music and commentary.

But he was not a typical classical music host, at times offering personal observations about pieces he liked, or interjecting sarcastic comments about music he did not care for but had to play.

Above, one of Post's colleagues, WNYC's Sara Fishko, offers her own remembrances, and re-tells one of Post's favorite stories: the winter day he had to climb along a window ledge at the station's former home at the top of the Manhattan Municipal Building.

More audio remembering Steve Post's vibrant radio career:

Steve Post and Sara Fishko recount how they first met each other.

Steve Post tells his story of being trapped on WNYC's roof.

Brian Lehrer and Larry Josephson, veteran public radio producer and host and founder of the Radio Foundation, share their memories of Steve Post.

Remember Steve's legacy: you can revisit The No Show with our full online audio archive.

Tags:

More in:

Hope Killcoyne from Manhattan

I was so very sad to hear of Steve Post's passing; his inimitable on-air style, laden with humorously caustic dollops of commentary and that wonderful cadence of his—knowing just where to pause for the best effect—made Post an absolute morning must for my husband and me.

And here's my Steve Post anecdote:
In the late '80s (sigh, so long ago) I had a job writing and producing promotions for WNET. As such, I could hire all manner of professionals—from actors to announcers—to voice over spots touting either Channel 13 programming or PBS shows such as Great Performances and Nature. Having been a fan of Post for years, this position presented me with a golden opportunity: to see if I could have my radio hero come and narrate just such a promo. And joy of joys, he did. When he showed up at the recording studio, I introduced myself and then gushed that all-too-trite line (though I sincerely meant it): "I'm your biggest fan." To which he replied on cue with a mixture of disdain and feigned fear: "Oh; YOU"RE the one!" I stared open-eyed, horrified at my social gaffe. Then, as a reassuring grin broke over his face, we both chuckled. And he went on to nail that promo to a tee.

Aug. 14 2014 08:32 AM
Tom Savage

I listened to Steve Post for about twenty years on WNYC. At one point, I wrote and sent him a poem, which was later published in my seventh book of poems. I hope he got the poem at the time. If not, here it is:

Pretty Pictures for Steve Post

I'm really not as smart as I think I am.
I'm trying to look at the bright side
Of a cloudy day and forget about the news.
I'm taking a holiday from the photographic
Realism that some academic painters have
Printed on my parietal lob. Got that, buddy?
I'm not even going to feel sorry for
Yourself over the hole in my brain today.
Ton Ton Macoute is not an opera by Paer,
Mayr, or Mayer for that matter. It's time
To splatter some eggs at my cat or so
She thinks, plink, plink. Malawi's only
Neurosurgeon was imprisoned for reviving
His president. There may be justice
Somewhere below the Himalayas. Today
There is no weather left in Central Park.

Tom Savage

Aug. 12 2014 04:46 PM
Jane from Port Washington

I love my Morning Music with Steve Post mug .. he looks tired, hung over; and he's wearing a clown's hat that's flopped over. I was always grateful to Steve for his reassuring reports that those nuclear reactor shutdowns posed no threats and felt great to join in the chorus.

Aug. 10 2014 02:01 PM
linda moggio from white plains ny

Oh, Steve! To hear you once again interjecting ridiculously funny comments while playing "your" tango!

Aug. 07 2014 09:18 PM
RCT from NYC

I first listened to Steve back when he did the overnight weekend shows on WBAI and Bob Fass did the weekday overnights. I was a teenager, living with my parents in Brooklyn, and Post and Fass were the first "free form" radio I'd ever heard. I recall the night that Marshall Ephram showed up as a duck (does anyone else remember Marshall and "the duck"?) That, and innumerable other improvisations that kept me and my friends listening all night (not even stoned, since we were living in small apartments with our parents).

Steve was willing to say the things that no one else would say on the radio, including criticism of the Vietnam War and mercenary corruption of the commercial media. He was funny, cynical, unpredictable and, to me, a young girl in a traditional (religious, ethnic) home, a window on the world in which I wanted to live.

I actually took a leave of absence from college and left home for a life of my own after listening one night to Bob Fass, and thinking, "I can do this!"

Bob and Steve were unafraid. I rediscovered Steve on WNYC, but my fondest memories of him are from his old 'BAI days -- even before BAI moved to "the church" (Remember how Steve and Bob turned off the transmitter at the end of their shows; and Larry Josephson would turn it on again whenever he showed up -- generally late -- for the morning show?)

Aug. 07 2014 08:40 PM
Catherine from the Lower East Side

Great Sarah Fishko piece on Steve. So happy to hear his voice! Thank you!

Aug. 07 2014 02:48 PM
Jim from Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn

I recall one morning newscast, probably in the late 80s, when Steve Post reported that there'd been an emergency shutdown of a nuclear power plant the previous night--most likely one of the reactors at Indian Point. Emergency shutdowns were all too common at the time and the reporting of them had become rather pro forma--which he acknowledged by inviting his listening audience to say aloud the words they knew they were about to hear: "A spokesman said--all together now--'There-was-no-release-of-radiation.'" The words sprang to my lips, and it was wonderful to imagine--to know--that hundreds, maybe thousands of New Yorkers, in their kitchens, cars, and offices, were all saying those words in unison, along with Post.

Steve, may "gutsy winds" always fill your sails.

Aug. 07 2014 10:42 AM
Mark Ettinger from Upper West Side

Oh, No! The news of Steve Post's death hit me as my eyes swelled. For about 15 years, Steve's voice and Chopin's Mazurka at 9am proclaimed that a new day had begun and I was still alive on this planet. I recorded some of his music announcements on cassettes so I still occasionally hear his voice. One tape that I cherish is his monologue on the singing and backstory of Florence Foster Jenkins. I am always struck by the emotion he evinces as he tells her story.
When I wrote Laura Walker protesting his dismissal, and sent a copy to Steve along with a personal note, he wrote me a thoughtful thank you. Condolences to Laura Rosenberg and all those who mourn Steve's passing.
Here are a few of what he called "Post's Principles:"
Anxiety abhors a vacuum.
A mind is a terrible thing to have.
A mind is a wonderful thing to waste.
If it's not one damn thing, it's two or more damn things.
Everybody has bad breath.
Perception is reality.
Unconsciousness is vastly underrated.
and my favorite: When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it, and hang on.

Aug. 07 2014 09:14 AM
Dale from Manhattan

Perhaps an appropriate memorial for Steve Post would be a CD compilation of some of his best stories and pledge drive antics to be offered as a gift on the next pledge drive. "Patchy Frogs and Post" for a 100 dollar pledge? It would get me to the phone. He is missed and worthy of reflection.

Aug. 07 2014 07:18 AM
Rocco from Brooklyn

One of many of hilarious comments that I remember from Steve was at the beginning of his morning music show. He came on the air right after the last news article, or maybe a traffic report about Flushing Queens. He says in is calm cool voice, " Hmmm Flushing Queens " and after a long pause he stars the morning music show.

Aug. 07 2014 07:08 AM
Mark from Brooklyn (pre Lindsay)

He was the curmudgeon's curmudgeon. His acerbic humor when reciting the news made mornings tolerable for this non morning person. He brought new insight to the Pachelbel Canon, even to the seasoned listeners among us. Pledge drives became close to enjoyable and even something to look forward to when Post was at the microphone. A rare talent.

The station changed after 9/11. And not in a good way. The Morning Music Show and classical music as a whole was banished for the most part from WNYC.
Talk is cheaper, I suppose. As the city changed, so has the station. The invasive species of gentrifiers, the ones who take the 'blue line' instead of the 8th Avenue line, have homogenized this once unique city. Steve Post added spice to the airwaves. He was, in some sense, New York. He will be sorely missed.

Aug. 07 2014 04:42 AM
Mark from Brooklyn (pre Lindsay)

Aug. 07 2014 04:33 AM
Mimi from nyc

I would have never made it through the Guliani adminstration without him! Kvetch to the angels, Steve.

Aug. 07 2014 12:11 AM
Marilyn Quinn from Thorofare, NJ

I lived in Central Jersey in the 80's and could get public radio from both NYC and Philly. For my commute I always heard NYC's The Morning Show, and I often wished my commute were longer because it was such a wonderful show to start the day with. I can still hear his voice in my head.

Aug. 06 2014 11:28 PM
Emily from Upper West Side

Steve Post was the best, and I enjoyed reading all the memories, which I shared. I stopped listening to WNYC after 9/11, and now must settle for WQXR. My condolences and sympathy to his family and friends. He was the greatest.

Aug. 06 2014 09:21 PM
Margaret from New York City

"I'd give all my troubles to Rosemary Woods, and she would shred them for me."

Waking up to Steve Post for so many years ("good morning...what's so good about it?") made the insanity of living and trying to make it in New York somehow worth it.

Farewell and thank you.

Aug. 06 2014 08:45 PM
marilyn from Brooklyn

Found memories of Kate Smith's "God Bless America" over and over and over again on BAI until pledge goal was met.

Aug. 06 2014 07:36 PM
Suomynona from The beyond

I was the enema lady.

Aug. 06 2014 06:53 PM
JWalker from Chelsea

When I arrived in New York City in 1984 WNYC was the first station I became addicted to. John Schaeffer, Margaret Juntwaite, and Sarah Fishko were all intimate voices through the days and nights as I moved into living in the city. But Steve Post was the constant -the subversive undercurrent that prevented complacent or passive listening. "The No Show"-from the moment of its laconic piano introduction until when Steve's voice came on-from presumably some dusty record-album-crammed back room in the Municipal Building where the offices used to be- and you were made not a listener but a co-conspirator. Listening to Steve Post made you one of the naughty smart folk-and you never knew where the next raid was going to be. But it was always a worthwhile adventure. I miss those days and nights, and express my sincere condolences to all the WNYC family as well as his own.

Aug. 06 2014 05:50 PM
Alice Kintisch from Nyack, NY

I loved many of Steve's fund-raising rants. Who can forget when then-president Laura Walker locked him up for excessive copier use? Or when Steve threatened to sing if we didn't call up with pledges. But my favorite by far was when Steve announced a new format: All fund-raising; all the time! No music; no talk. No programming at all except for fund-raising. All these years later I still laugh when I think about this. Steve was one-of-a-kind, and I am lucky that I was able to listen to him on Morning Music for years and then on The No Show.

Aug. 06 2014 04:18 PM
Linda from Lakewood, NJ

Steve thumbed his nose at those in charge, and in doing so, allowed us to do so vicariously. God bless him.

Aug. 06 2014 02:47 PM
Michael Brunas from Palisades Park, NJ

I especially miss the overlap segments in between the Steve Post and Sara Fishko shows. The humor was sharp and the affection and respect these two had for each other was obvious. Typical Steve Post comment: "And now for a spot of news. But in today's case it's more like a large stain." Rest in peace, sir.

Aug. 06 2014 02:00 PM
Connie from Upper West Side

I so miss Steve Post -- I remember the time he was playing a piece of chamber music. When it finished, he said "I LOVE that juicy French Horn part." I couldn't imagine what he was talking about. Then he said, "I love that French Horn part so much I'm going to play that piece AGAIN!." On second listening, it was hard to distinguish from the other sounds, and then I realized that the French Horn provided the aural glue that made the music float. Steve taught so much by sharing his enthusiasms in a most idiosyncratic way. That was decades ago and his voice is vivid in my mind.

Aug. 06 2014 01:31 PM
Ernie from Centerport NY

I was driving to my office one day listening to Steve Post. The day before the Pope proclaimed that masturbation was a deadly sin and will be punished. Post made that announcement and then paused, he followed up with this."That's great! Knowing that we will certainly not be doing that anymore. Can you imagine how productive we will be now that we have both hands free?

Aug. 06 2014 01:14 PM
Stephanie Golden from Park Slope

I used to listen in the 70s when he was on early morning on BAI and be late to work because I didn't want to turn him off and leave. One of my favorite memories is of him complaining bitterly that the BAI powers-that-were had determined he was a "good pitcher" so they made him pitch a lot during fund drives. Certainly the only pitcher on either station who could make you want to listen to a fund drive. And the best commentator on Nixon. He would comb through the papers for details and read them with a relish no one else could provide.

Aug. 06 2014 12:24 PM

thanks to brian this morning for having larry josephson [who wrote a great obit for steve post] talking about steve & playing some WNYC soundchecks. i was one of those early WBAI fans who listened from 1965 on... steve [& bob fass, larry josephson et al} accompanied me through the decade, my radio was on 24/7. when steve [and so many others] moved to WNYC radio i followed. how very sad that we lost two wonderful radio people in one week -- RIP both Margot Adler and Steve Post, and condolences to their families and loved ones.

Aug. 06 2014 12:06 PM
Jeff from Butler, NJ

Up until 1989, age 25, when I was first introduced to public radio, and WNYC in particular, I had listened to the “other” NYC classical music stations and programs for a number of years. Ohhh what a “Rude Awakening” when Steve Post and Morning Music entered my life – and forever transformed and informed it in ways for which I can never be thankful enough. I had the supreme luxury of having a job during that period that put me on the road throughout the day, thus I never missed a Steve Post morning moment. Nor could I bear to. It was during fund drives, especially, when Steve’s great love for public radio, and his passion, and eloquence, and consummate skill, and common sense, and wit, and combativeness, and soul, and persuasive/motivational abilities – did he ever miss an hourly goal?!? – were on full, vital, oft times madcap display. Never had a disembodied voice and sensibility sounded so genuine and so intimate and so reassuring and so naturally, unconsciously aplomb at establishing a familial bond where one experiences a loving connection to him, the station, the other listeners. And, of course, all of it carried out in his inimitable curmudgeonly way. He made radio, and the music and the people/friends/co-workers he loved and adored, a truly “shared experience” that we as listeners and members were blessed to be a part. Simply astonishing. I have wished all throughout the ensuing years that my listenership history with Steve Post had extended back to his early days in radio. NOW I simply wish to hear his voice again. Bless Steve Post, his family and friends.

Aug. 06 2014 11:44 AM
Walter

Remember when Post often missed the opening of his am music program, or read he read the headlines, etc.

Aug. 06 2014 11:38 AM
Ruth from Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Thank you Sara for your passionate reporting on Steve Post. I listened to his Morning show on NYC and missed him tremendously when it went of the air. Then to discover him on the No Show on Saturday afternoon. I remember some days doing yard work, or painting the spare bedroom and happily listening to Steve. The word curmudgeon comes to mind and lovable. Learned a lot about what good music is and don't just listen to one genre. He is very much missed. Rest-in-peace Steve.

Aug. 06 2014 11:03 AM
Marc Grobman in Fanwood, enjay from Marc Grobman in Fanwood, NJ

For all you folks who have been wanting to hear old shows of the No Show, they are available here:
Right now I'm listening to and laughing at a superb edition, "Mental Health," which aired March 21, 2009.

Aug. 06 2014 10:52 AM

Thank you, Eric Price from Peachtree Corners, GA! I asked in another WNYC forum about which version of My Blue Heaven was Steve's theme song in his BAI days. It was indeed the Whispering Jack Smith version. I'm listening on YouTube now, at:

Aug. 06 2014 10:25 AM
WEAF,WEVD,WHN from Middle of Your Radio Dial

Steve Post made grumbling high art.
Every day was a new adventure in kvetching.
While he did have his favorites, Steve Post was at his best when he could spin a complaint out to its absurd conclusion.
Blessed with a wonderful voice for radio. his genius made the broadcast personal essay an art form.
Think of it: at one time on New York City radio, one could dial in Steve Post, Henry Morgan, and in the evening, Eric Severeid.

Aug. 06 2014 10:18 AM
Gary from Greenwich Village

His musical tastes in all formats he covered were impeccable. I will also miss his witty observations on all things I too find irritating.

Aug. 06 2014 10:15 AM
Janice from New York

I started listening to Steve Post on WBAI in the mid 70's. His special blend of odd and interesting music and smart funny one sided conversation was perfect for this New Yorker. I was happy to keep listening to him on WNYC's Morning Music and concerned when I heard he wasn't on the air due to illness.
When he reappeared with The No Show I was there.
When I met my prospective father in law,a formidable man and opera lover, I was able to converse with him about Amelita Galli Curci whose rendition of "There's no place like home" Steve used to play.
Thank you, Steve. You will be missed.

Aug. 06 2014 09:51 AM
Steve Pollock from Seabrook Island, SC

What a sad day. Loved listening to Steve for years and missed him when he disappeared for a bit. Now I will forever miss him.

Aug. 06 2014 09:49 AM
Paul T from Cold Spring, NY

Oh No! The ultimate exit. Loved you and you will always exist in our minds. And thanks for making me miss my exit on the highway while driving to work when listening to you. Quite a feat! Damn, you were great.

Aug. 06 2014 09:19 AM
Elliot from Manhattan

I grew up in the same DeKalb Avenue Bronx apartment building with Steve -- who came to my 8th birthday party back in 1950.

One time, when he sat watching us play with his toys, my mother asked: "Steven. Are you too lazy to play with your own toys?"
"I guess, so," he answered.

In 1956, Steve had moved to Mosholu Parkway, also in the Bronx. His apartment door in 1956 had a giant picture and sign: "Official Alfred E. Newman campaign headquarters," because Steve preferred Newman to Ike.

Steve loved doing what he called "take-offs," impersonations of his friends. I hated when he did me smoking a cigarette at age 15. He'd slide the cigarette horizontally across his lips, puffing on-the-run as his eyes shiftily scanned right and left to be certain no adult saw us. That was me, perfectly.

Steve looked older than his years and had to bring his "actual" birth certificate (pre-Obama) to show the movie theater manager to get the child's admission price he was entitled to.

"Hey, Stevie, remember..." I could go on and on and wish Steve Post was here to go on and on.

Aug. 06 2014 09:05 AM
Ed

...deep sadness today,as well as a smile on my face remembering the wonderful programs from late night WBAI, morning music to the delightful No-Show
Deepest Condolences to Steve Post's wife and Family. You are remembered and mourned!

Aug. 06 2014 08:34 AM
Bill Mayer from Manhattan

I used to practice my scales (boring) listening to Steve Post with headphones, so I wouldn't miss a word. I sent him a few horrifying opening stories from the news that he read on the air, to which he would add his inimitable wit, and, "Welcome to Room 101."
He had a way of making you feel he was talking to you from across the coffee table, not the air waves. When I met him a few times, he made me feel the same. His unfailing friendship with James Irsay, another amazing wit, must have made for some memorable get-togethers. i would love to have been a fly on the wall.
New York is worse off for your loss. Your warm, baritone voice, your wit, your style, your generosity, your honesty, especially, combined to make you an icon of live radio.
Remember, you don't have Nix-on to push... around... any more.

Aug. 06 2014 08:32 AM
David Chowes from New York City

It all began in the mid-1960s when I was in college and listened to Bob Fass during the week and Steve Post on weekends from about Midnight until 5AM. They were differnt in terms of personalities -- but both introuced me to the wonders of Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Judy Collins and...

It was so thrilling to hear a nine minute Dylan song like Desolation Row, Memphis Blues Again and Like a Rolling Stone. That was juxtaposed to WABC Musicradio (progammed by Rick Slar), a top 40 station with a real playlist of 10 songs all under under three minite songs. Post later joined WNYC.

Add Jean Shepherd and Larry Josephson who were real people shom one could relate to. Hey, folks we're getting older!

The NYT obituary included a remarkable quote by Steve Post. In 1968 he told NEWSDAY, "[I] called myself a Hobbesian, not a Marxist." He continued. "I believe people are brutal, murderous, lying bastards who put on the masks of civility to make society work."

To me his comment was one of the most precient one which I've heard in many years!

THank you, Steve Post.

Aug. 06 2014 04:36 AM
jeff from Macon, Ga., ex-Bklyn

Here's Steve Post's closing theme, Time Keeps Tick-Tockin' Away, sung by Fred Engelberg

Aug. 05 2014 10:42 PM
Emery from Minnesota

I moved to NYC in the early '80's. I really can't remember when I began listening to WNYC, or for that matter, when Steve Post became a part of my morning routine, but he did. And I enjoyed him so. I especially liked his insistence on not reporting what time it was to his listeners. How could a workday morning radio show not keep listeners informed as to the time? It was delightful.

Aug. 05 2014 10:39 PM
eileen from Rahway from Rahway NJ

I cant add much to these tributes, but will say that I loved Steve Post- his morning music show, his attitude, his beautiful, yet grumpy voice got me out of bed and through many a depressing morning. I loved his wit, his attitude, and wish I could have told him that many a morning I started by doing bad overweight interpretive dance to his theme song. Would he have been horrified or happy? i don't know. But he brought joy and enrichment to my life, and I'm so sad that he's gone.
I must add that I've never felt he same about WNYC since they took Steve's morning show off. I like Brian Lehr, but we lost part of the spirit of New york when they took Steve's daily show off air.
My heart goes out to his family, I can't imagine the loss they must feel.
PS- I'm sure he and nixon cant be in the same place. Rest in peace, Steve and thanks a million.

Aug. 05 2014 10:25 PM
Linda from Manhattan

He would probably have a wry response to the outpouring of love and fond memories we are sharing here. I remember his utter distaste for Pachelbel's Canon and how he would threaten to play it continuously if contributions started to lag during a fundraising drive. During his days at WBAI, he would encourage callers to dial simultaneously to see if they could drive the operators crazy. Hearing his voice during the WNYC tribute brought back a rush of so many great moments. I expected him to take over the story and entertain me all morning.

Aug. 05 2014 10:15 PM
Harry from Forest Hills

I discovered Steve Post on WBAI shortly after he started; I was in Jr. High. Late Saturday night after midnight I explored FM radio - not very big at the time.

I had moved the dial past someone saying "Cockroach" and spun back to hear Steve Post taking about "Roach Races" to be held in a parking lot in the Bronx - the Roaches had to be 3" to qualify.

My parents came home moments later and caught the end of the race details.

Glad I caught what I caught. I was a regular. I was introduced to the Guitar playing of the late John Fahey via his show.

Harry

Aug. 05 2014 10:14 PM
Limor from Putnam Valley

I remember when EVERYONE I knew listened to-and loved-Steve Post. Then, one day almost overnight, the demographic in NYC changed and suddenly there were all these people in New York, we used to call them "yuppies", who totally didn't get him, didn't appreciate him. It was the beginning of gentrification, of the expanding gap between haves and have nots, of the Giuliani years.
I will miss him and I'm grateful for having him as a role model.

Aug. 05 2014 10:11 PM
Nancy Bernard

Steve was absolutely charming. And we missed him in the morning since he retired from WNYC. He was our favorite. We're sure he is in another world giving his sardonic, funny and truthful side remarks to his fans. (That he would certainly deny). What a guy. sNancy & Allan Bernard, Greenwich, CT

Aug. 05 2014 09:38 PM
Renée from Upper West Side

Reading these comments from fellow-listeners provides solace to the bad news. I find myself in the midst of a community of like-minded folks; one rarely feels such consensus from so many never-before-met people. My personal favorite Post moment, for those who may have missed it, was during a pledge drive when he spoke about a "rare" recording in his possession, and with mounting excitement, his voice breaking with emotion, told us it was taped during a WNYC board meeting. Then on came the voices of maybe 10 infants, all wailing...It kept on going, from time to time dominated by one baby with a louder cry, followed by a crescendo of other infants. Steve, you will never be forgotten; one hopes you may have had some inkling of that.

Aug. 05 2014 09:19 PM
Jim from around and about

The beautiful mosaic of New York is slightly less
archaic.
R.I.P.

Aug. 05 2014 09:17 PM
Dean from East Brunswick, New Jersey

I loved listening to Steve. It is not at all an exaggeration to say that Steve got me hooked on public radio in general and WNYC in particular. During my graduate school days, as a poor student, one of my colleagues recommended that I listen to WNYC. The first time that I tuned in was during a fund-raising period. After listening to Steve, though I had little in the way of discretionary funds, I donated, and have continued to donate to WNYC even during those years when I lived out of the area, donating to other (then-local) public radio stations, such was my attachment, due to Steve. Among the many classical pieces that Steve turned me (all of us) on to, one of my favorites was William Bolcom's Graceful Ghost rag...haunting and beautiful. I can't hear the piece without thinking of him, and very grateful that I was privileged to have shared so many years with him. A very cool guy, and great radio personality. I've missed hearing his voice over the past several years, and will continue to miss him.

Aug. 05 2014 09:02 PM
Eric Bruskin from Philadelphia, PA

People have mentioned the Chopin Mazurka in C major as Steve's theme song; Sara Fishko mentioned Steve's affection for the second movement of Schubert's Quintet in C major, ...

Does anyone remember a tape collage that Steve did - must have been in the early to mid 1980s - called something like Fantasia in C major, "C for crook", using a tape loop of Nixon saying "I am not a crook" and other sounds?

I have a vivid memory of listening to it, but alas, the details are fading in my memory. Hopefully it will be on the Steve Post Tribute CD.

Aug. 05 2014 07:36 PM

I completely agree with many of the comments, especially that of Terry of Morning Heights. I listened to him every single morning, loving both the music and his incisive, sometimes cutting, and so often humorous comments. I'm not a morning person but he made mornings a joy. I had a Steve Post coffee mug, something I got as a result of a contribution. I made the mistake of taking it into my office where it disappeared within 48 hours. I guess I wasn't his only fan there. Now, I wish I still had it. I still support WQXR but still mourn the fact that WNYC is yet another talk station, albeit, probably the best of the bunch, as I mourn the passing of Steve Post. Rest in peace, Steve Post.

Aug. 05 2014 07:26 PM
Jim from Westchester

I still miss your morning show "Morning Music" Steve! RIP! You were the best fund raiser that Public Radio ever had. You were the last DJ's to understand how to challenge our intelligence.

Aug. 05 2014 07:22 PM
Noel Dennis from New York City

I loved Steve Post. For me, he was the consummate New Yorker: urbane, smart, intellectual, funny, opinionated, always ready with a dry and quick witticism, endearingly cheeky, unflinchingly liberal, self-effacing, a mensch. No matter what he was discussing, his rich, baritone voice and impeccable timing made you feel like you were in the room with him having a chat like old friends do. Steve was a constant in my life from his days at WBAI through his last show on WNYC. I don't believe WNYC ever regained its soul after he was forced to leave save for Sara Fishko's continued presence. I miss him all the more today upon learning he has died.

Aug. 05 2014 06:55 PM
Terry Pierce from Morningside Heights

I cannot add much to the many comments about Steve Post that have already appeared, but I do want to acknowledge the importance of his Morning Music Show in my life. Since I am self employed and work at home, I usually was able to listen all morning and I did. Therefore, I was upset when the show was taken off the air after the events of 9/11. I personally think music is a much better healer after a traumatic event than endless chatter. However, when it became apparent that those events had been used as an excuse to turn WNYC into a talk station, I felt that I, as a long time member, had been duped and I dropped my membership. Not only had we lost Steve Post, but we had lost classical music. His Morning Music Show was to me the perfect combination of music and wit and I have not heard anything since that quite matches it. I have, in the last few years, started sending money to WQXR, because classical music is important to me, but I cannot forget that some of that money is going to pay the inflated salaries of the management that removed him from the air and I do miss him. I send my condolences to his family and friends, and the rest of us.

Aug. 05 2014 06:51 PM
Christine from New York

I had no idea Steve passed away until just now when I heard Sara's comments. My sincere condolences to his friends and family, and I, too, am saddened by this loss. Even though he may not have been active on air for a while, I distinctly remember his eloquent voice and looked forward to each show, never knowing what he would say next. I was thrilled to find Steve's shows on WNYC whenever I could, and was glad there was a radio personality that was as honest, irreverent, informed, highly intelligent, witty and sensitive (yes, sensitive). I always looked forward to his scathing commentaries and snarky remarks and remember his many tirades on Nixon, too. Here's the bottom line – quite often, Steve said what I was thinking, but I never had the guts to say it out loud. I wish I could have known you, but, in a way, I suppose I did. You will be missed by many. RIP.

Aug. 05 2014 06:02 PM
Joel from Brooklyn

I am almost a life long listener to Steve Post. As a teenager, listening to him and Marshall Efron and Larry Josephson, on BAI got me through the 1960s' and early 1970's. Steve survived a number of life threatening illnesses,
and I always hoped that somehow the No Show or an equivalent would make its return.

My wife and I would plan or Saturday drives around the No Show.
I miss his voice.

Aug. 05 2014 06:00 PM
KMR from Princeton NJ

For a classic bit of Steve Post lore, see p. 6 of Claudia Zaslavsky, Fear of Math (Rutgers University Press, 1994):

I'll always be grateful to Steve making a long commute tolerable. And I'll always honor him for editing the language of news feeds about anti-apartheid activity in South Africa -- changing the wire service "riots" to "protests."

Aug. 05 2014 05:50 PM
John from Flushing

I'm sure that if WNYC were to offer the Steve Post Morning Music mug as a "thank you gift" during their next on-air fundraiser, they would set a record - even those who don't want to contribute to Laura Walker's high salary would donate just to get another daily reminder of Steve.

If the station continues to broadcast the Danny Stiles Music Museum, long after Danny died (2011), makes you wonder why they don't play any of Steve's shows.

Aug. 05 2014 05:48 PM
Nan from Manhattan

Steve Post's Morning Music was a program that I arranged my life not to miss, and I very much missed it when it was no longer a part of my mornings. I will pull out the CD's that he recommended, and those that came as gifts from his stints on fundraising -- and we all loved his fundraising! -- and listen to them in his memory.

Aug. 05 2014 05:34 PM
Nancy from CT

I will treasure my Morning Music Mug mug. I have missed Steve Post these past years, but always hoped I would hear him on the waves again. My condolences to his friends and family. I will miss him greatly.

Aug. 05 2014 05:27 PM
ed Kane from here

quite thin coverage of Steve's passing. thank you Sara

L.L. couldn't be bothered?? Hope Steve doesn't end up listening to Pegine for eternity.

Aug. 05 2014 05:23 PM
Scott Schnipper from Metro NYC

That Laura Walker has left no room whatsoever for as idiosyncratic and personal and quirky a voice as Steve's while paying herself $500k minimum, that she has relegated classical music to the low-wattage radio desert while airing the same programming on FM as AM, and that she treated Steve so badly -- means WNYC never needs a dime from this occasional listener.

Aug. 05 2014 05:21 PM
Pam Gosner from New Jersey

In the late 60's my husband and I moonlighted as authors. We had a weird schedule of doing our writing between midnight and 4AM or so. One of the best things about this schedule was listening to Steve Post on WBAI. We followed him to his brief stint at a college radio station, then to WNYC. He was the reason we became members of that station, and when his program was canceled I stopped contributing. (My husband Ken had already died by then). If there is an afterlife I'm sure Ken is once more listening to Steve, and I envy him!

Aug. 05 2014 05:13 PM
Laura G from North Haledon, NJ

From his BAI days, "Hello, I Must Be Going"- Groucho Marx

Aug. 05 2014 04:37 PM
v.a. musetto from NYC

You fail to mention how Steve Post was badly treated by Laura Walker

Aug. 05 2014 04:08 PM
Nancy from Brooklyn from Brooklyn

A profound loss. I spent countless mornings in the '80s and '90s with the radio tuned to WNYC with Steve being the perfect companion, especially when one felt alone or down. I'm glad several others mentioned the time he followed through on his threat and played the Pachabel Canon in D over and over and over until enough pledges came in to meet that hour's goal. Hard to believe that one actually looked forward to the fundraising drives in those days! Steve got to spend a lot more time talking and being brilliant and hilarious rather than those few comments between records. SUCH FUN! As the pledge campaign progressed he would really get onto a roll, and the absolute best was when one of his chums would join him in the studio. Has there ever been a better pairing than Steve and Sara Fishko? The chemistry between them was palpable -- oh, how they enjoyed each other's intelligence and wit. And we got to listen to them!

Aug. 05 2014 04:00 PM
Ellen from Williamsburg

I was so sad when Steve Post was canned after 9/11 and the all-news format came in. The No Show, however, was a breath of air, a moment of authenticity, brilliance and a New York voice. It was especially wonderful when he had Emily Levine on as a guest. I have worried about him since the No Show went off the air, knowing his health was so poor. My condolences to his loved ones, co-workers and all of us here.

I moved to Williamsburg in the dangerous 80s and I had a car. Back then, the cops would ticket cars for alternate street parking at least 10 minutes before the designated time. I successfully used Steve Post to get out of a ticket.
I wrote to the DOT and said that although I received the ticket there was no way it was written at the time it said, because Steve Post's show came on when I was halfway across the bridge and everyone knows he comes on at 9.
The reply from DOT said that the ticket had been dismissed although the merits of my case had not been decided.

Aug. 05 2014 03:57 PM
Jim from New Rochelle

My wife and I got through our morning ritual of disposing of our four kids to school listening to Steve's acerbic humor. What a wonderful way to start the day. We both mourn his passing.

Aug. 05 2014 03:56 PM
Bob from Princeton

So sad to hear of Steve's passing. The golden days of radio for me were back in the 60's at WBAI when Bob Fass, Larry Josephson and Steve gave so much to their listeners.

Aug. 05 2014 03:31 PM
Paul Abramson from Madison, Wisconsin

Steve Post's WBAI late nite program was my addiciton after nightly Jean Shepherd broadcasts on WOR. Between these two my path into radio storytelling was cast. In 1968-69 evening drives to Manhattan from home in NJ, racing Checker cabs on 7th Avenue, ended at WBAI studios. In "Marathon" weeks I would carry bags of White Castle Hamburgers bought at Bayway traffic circle for Steve and the gang as we played Monopoly on the air to get pledges. Steve's crass taunts made me want to fight back on late night radio too if I could do what he was doing! Within 5 years of that time I was a very Postish college radio host on WRST-FM Oshkosh, Wisconsin beginning a career in commercial and public broadcasting lasting 20 years. Long live Radio Free Airwaves wherever they may be.

Aug. 05 2014 03:23 PM

It's a pity WNYC did not tape Steve Post continuously, as much of his wit seemed to be in effortless one-liners that were ad libs. One Post-ism occurred when he was reading the morning news in his authoritative voice:

"The Soviet News agency TASS announced this morning that its space probe had successfully soft-landed on Venus...."

(pause for the flexing of Groucho Marx eyebrows)

"Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind soft landing on Venus myself."

And no one can ever forget "Give Him the Shaft!" segments.

Aug. 05 2014 03:22 PM
joel hubbard

When the radio waves wash across the infinite void of space and time, and are received by sentient life forms. Steve Post's broadcasts will prove that there once was intelligent life on planet earth even if we're not here. Enjoy the journey Mr. Post! Thank you for the 25 Years of Steve Post!

Aug. 05 2014 03:05 PM
Eve

When WNYC dumped Steve Post after 9/11 I knew the station would never recover. And indeed it is a shadow of its former self: commercialized, lackluster, safe, generic.

I won't say RIP, Steve, because resting in peace is the last thing you'd ever want to do. I'll say instead: Rest on a Ledge, in a High Wind.

Aug. 05 2014 02:51 PM
John from the Bronx,

To Roberta from New York City, it was Larry Josephson, not Post, who used the William Tell overture, with the spoken injunction, "Breathe!", as his theme song.

I began listening to the great Steve Post on BAI in 1966. At that time, his closing theme song was "Time keeps a-tickin' away, close your eyes, there goes another day...". Does anyone know who sang it? The folksinger sounded
a lot like Tom Paxton, but I think it was by someone less well-known. Google is not turning up the lyrics, just a lot of entries about ticks.

Aug. 05 2014 02:47 PM
Alex from Dubrovnik, Croatia

To me he was an absolute master, a genius, who remains unsurpassed to this day. So reliably unpredictable and consistently mischievous. RIP Steve, we miss you very much...

Aug. 05 2014 02:25 PM
Tony from NY, NY

Mourning music.

Aug. 05 2014 02:18 PM
Jon from Glen Cove

I only knew Steve from listening to him on the radio. I never met him. But I have just lost one of the people who was my best friend.

Aug. 05 2014 01:30 PM
Jennifer from Brooklyn

Steve Post made pledge drives enjoyable. We always gave whenever he was on. During one pledge drive, Post and Robert Krulwich spent part of the time reading the various ways people misspelled WNYC Director/producer, Richard Hinchliffe's name on mail he received. They cracked each other up reading misspellings to each other. It had me in tears.

Now, I am tears for a different reason.

Listening to Sarah Fishko's tribute to him this morning felt like an old friend was back. The familiarity of his voice coming from my radio in the morning was so comforting.

He was really important to many of us.

Aug. 05 2014 01:07 PM
Michael from NYC

Steve's sad passing comes long after the sad demise of wabi or at least what is was.

Aug. 05 2014 01:02 PM
Jon from Brooklyn

One morning in early 1990s, there was a particularly nasty ice storm. I was driving into the city, and Steve came on and announced that out of pure meanness and perversity he was going to play Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Amid the disastrous rush-hour traffic with cars spun off the Hutch, the chirpy opening of Spring starts to play. Utter genius. RIP.

Aug. 05 2014 11:50 AM
Nancy Kane from upstate NY

*sob*......my favorite Steve Post moment was during a fund drive when he threatened to play the Pachelbel Canon over and over until people sent in enough money to make him stop...and then he did so. Pachelbel for an hour...excruciating and stellar.

Aug. 05 2014 11:40 AM
Michael Simpson from Red Bank, NJ

Gone but not forgotten, and boy do I wish I had something sufficiently "pithy" to add. It would be an appropriate homage. A genuine personality when too much of radio was becoming increasing impersonal. I first encountered him a 'NYC in the eighties as a student at Pratt Institute, but it was genuinely the jumpstart to my business mornings in our then nascent Architectural firm. Every morning was a joy to wake up with Steve. I had my own matched set of Steve Post mugs from pledge drives and was sorely disappointed when they were removed from the "rewards" possibilities. Best wishes to the entire family of Mr. Post and especially to those that were blessed by this wonderful, gentle, occasionally cynical, frequently skeptical, and always a giver great joy.

Aug. 05 2014 11:35 AM
John from Flushing

The photo of Steve with Nixon is still posted on the WNYC website's 25th anniversary tribute ("25 Years of Steve Post"):

Aug. 05 2014 11:27 AM
John from Flushing

For those who asked, the theme song for "The No Show" was "How Long Blues", played by Jimmy & Mama Yancey. I believe that the theme music for "Morning Music" was from Chopin's Marzurka in C Major (Op. 24 No. 2).

Aug. 05 2014 11:23 AM

Losing Morning Music was part of the collateral damage of the 9/11 Attacks. Curse you UBL! The station's focus moved towards more news and talk and there didn't seem to be room on WQXR for a personality like Post. The No Show made withdrawal a little easier but it was like withdrawal from eating. Why would you want to?

I would often end my commute to Roseland NJ with Morning Music...back then Morning Edition only consumed two hours 6a-8a. (rtather than 5a-9a)

Those were the days....

Aug. 05 2014 11:14 AM
Rene from Philly

One of the best commentaries on Steve Post's style and wit is not in the text of the story, but in the credit of the picture: "Discourtesy of Laura Rosenberg." Nothing could sum up Post's wry humor better. RIP. Yo are already missed.

Aug. 05 2014 11:05 AM
Susan from Manhattan

In addition to "patchy frogs," Mr. Post referred to that Easy Listening radio host "Les Humid" in his weather reports.
Steve Post helped me survive my early years as a civil servant. When the Mayor's Management Report would come out each year, he would actually report on its findings. I don't think anyone else in the City even read it, but knowing that the person who I so admired did made me feel like my job was a little less futile.

Aug. 05 2014 10:45 AM
Rita Calderon from New York City

My world is poorer with Steve Post's passing. WNYC,PLEASE do a memorial show, and maybe a CD best-of as fundraising gift? I'm sure many would give a lot to hear him mock the news - such as the repeated headlines: "Shah of Iran still dying...." Or to hear his tuneless tango crooning. Or his whacky "Morning Music" piece on a friend who went nuts every time he heard Bartok, cawing like a crow, "Bartok! Bartok! And the priceless NoShow. How on earth could anyone not get him, how could he have slipped from the airwaves? My deep condolences to Steve's family/friends, and especially Sara Fishko who teamed so perfectly with him. He was an essential part of my life. Love and miss you, Steve, RIP.

Aug. 05 2014 10:34 AM
Jed from Melville

Somehow Steve Post's humanity, honesty and silliness added real benefit to me. His passing is a real loss. Just hearing his theme music from Morning Music and The No Show (on Sarah Fisko's piece) made me me feel good. I associate those pieces with him. Can anybody please post a response telling me the names of those two pieces of music?

Aug. 05 2014 10:18 AM
Mario Vickram Sen from New York

One day, during the eighties, I was with my (then) girlfriend at Cafe Vivaldi on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. At a table nearby, two men were in deep and conspiratorial conversation. One of them was a schlumpy looking bald guy, with a thick black mustache and a lovely resonant baritone voice. My girlfriend pricked up her ears and asked me whose voice that was.

I listened for a while and suggested, "Orson Welles?"

"No," she said. "Not whose voice does it sound like… who is it?"

It took me a second to understand what she was telling me. "Post!" I hissed. She nodded knowingly.

Not wanting to seem like adolescent fans we kept to ourselves and didn't bother the man until he was leaving. As he walked past our table to go I offered up, "We know who you are… we recognized you from your voice."

He stpped short and looked at me. "Oh my god!" he said. "I hope you didn't hear what we were talking about." And then he left.

Aug. 05 2014 10:17 AM
Jody M from Westchester County

I only heard this morning about Steve Post's passing. I can't tell you how sad this makes me. He is definitely the reason I started listening to WNYC and I'm not a classical music fan. I loved his pledge drives, I really enjoyed the No Show, I even enjoyed the classical music. I also remember he would do an annual series of American Modern Music and I liked that too. I wish his friends and family comfort in his memory and peace. If there is a public memorial service, I hope I can attend! Steve, you are sorely missed.

Aug. 05 2014 10:14 AM
Rosemary from Long Island

No one better prepared me to face the day with a smile or a laugh better than Steve Post. He was truly one of a kind. Although I remain a loyal WNYC listener and supporter, humor and spontaneity in radio is gone. The was no one like Steve.
Condolences to his family, friends and fellow fans.

Aug. 05 2014 09:51 AM
M.M. of Tin Pan Alley NYC from Manhattan

So fondly do I remember Post's commentary and insanity on WBAI as
well as WNYC another oneofakind leaves radio-planet.

Aug. 05 2014 09:42 AM
VICTOR SCHWARTZ from Upper West Side

Steve's was the voice and personality that welcomed me to NY after moving here from California in the mid-1980s. That quick, acerbic wit made me remember what I had so missed about New York and could never find in California.

But how dismaying indeed when the current WNYC president, Laura Walker, completely dismissed him, saying, "I don't get him." And then proceeded to dismiss him. What a sad day in Public Radio.

Aug. 05 2014 09:26 AM
carolyn from brooklyn

Steve Post instantly became an integral part of my settling into NYC, I have missed his voice and wit for the past 10+ years and was sad to hear he passed away.
Please make a "best of" memorial show - please!!

Aug. 05 2014 09:17 AM
JV from Brooklyn Heights from Brooklyn, NY

An irreplaceable loss and a sad, sad one! I can only echo what others have said above. The more outrageous he was, the more he delighted me, and he was never more delightful than during pledge drives. While others annoyed you or even made you cringe, he made you laugh - and give.

By the way, I believe his last stint on Morning Music - and indeed the show itself - ended abruptly when he suddenly went off the air on Sept. 11, 2001. I remember going to WNYC AM and finding out the reason why. It was my first inkling (and I suspect many others') that something terrible was happening that fearful day.

Aug. 05 2014 09:15 AM
Rosemary from Jackson Heights

The tributes above are wonderful. I almost forgot about Steve Post's railing against
Metropolitan Diary, but I do remember when he swore off it forever. He ruined Pachelbel's Canon for my husband and me, by threatening to play it during pledge drives. Do you remember another threat -- the WNYC "cat-o-nine-tails" to be visited upon the non-pledging? I miss him. Gone too soon.

Aug. 05 2014 09:14 AM
Susan Donner from Manhattan

I am so saddened by the death of Steve Post.

I fell in love with him, during my high school years, when he was on WBAI.
He was the perfect date for Saturday and Sunday nights.

I spoke about him often and was so happy to find him doing the No Show.
I introduced him to friends and hoped they could begin to understand my affection for him.

Good-bye old friend you are sorely missed.

Aug. 05 2014 08:42 AM
Natalie from New York, NY

When Steve Post's death was announced yesterday, I was genuinely shocked. I certainly didn't know him personally, so it wasn't that, but he was truly unique and actually funny, in an age when juvenile and "unfunny" humor abounds. And he dared to express his opinions in this humorous way. And thank goodness WNYC used to let him do this. I woke up to Steve Post's humor for many years, and this lightness, early in the morning, made you feel like getting up.

Aug. 05 2014 08:31 AM
Natalie from New York, NY

Aug. 05 2014 08:29 AM
Carol Holmes from Manhattan

When I heard his voice on WNYC this morning I wept. I'd been thinking about him a lot recently. He'd be the last person to agree, but it seems he could broadcast on more than radio waves. Will there be a public memorial service?

Aug. 05 2014 08:22 AM
Kate Colson from Mamaroneck

I listened to Morning Music religiously during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of my pregnancy during late summer and fall of 1998. Am certain that daily morning (in utero) exposure to Steve's sardonic, playful, wicked smart and genuine outlook on life shaped my son's tendency towards a blend of silly and serious, and a real joy in making others laugh. Max and I send our very best to Steve's family.

Aug. 05 2014 08:17 AM
Philip in Brooklyn from Brooklyn

I first encountered Post when he and Marshall Efron were together on WBAI in the late 60's. Thereafter I listened whenever I could from Room 101 until his last Noshow. I sent him letters which he never responded to since they were probably stupid and crazy beyond what was reasonably stupid and crazy. But I forgive him those pecadellos . In any case wherever you may have gone I'm sure you passed by nixon stretched out on a torture rack. For me, Steve, give him the shaft.

Aug. 05 2014 08:08 AM
Priscilla from Brooklyn

Some of my favorite memories of Steve are when he said WNYC "has everything from von Suppe to von Nutse", and during a fundraiser, when he had a "dessert spray", which he sampled and read the words on the bottle aloud: "ice cream sundae calories: 650; dessert spray calories: 1". Then there was the fundraiser where he pretended to broadcast from a bunker, with explosions in the background. I miss him very much.

Aug. 05 2014 08:08 AM
Faith S from Upper West Side NYC

The only time I ever looked forward to a pledge drive was when Steve Post pitched. In spite of his resonant speaking voice, Steve could not carry a tune. He would threaten the listener to sing if people didn't call to pledge and he sometimes had to resort to singing (?) when the calls were not coming in. He would have me in hysterics. His wit and intelligence, which is rather short supply in our world, will be greatly missed.
RIP Steve.

Aug. 05 2014 08:08 AM
Judy Florio from Maplewood

I've been an avid Steve Post fan since his WBAI days and will sorely miss his brilliant, funny, sick mind. A couple of memories: after he lost his (short-lived) job at CW Post College, he proudly shared this headline: "Post Loses Post Post." I also remember a "begathon" stunt in which Laura Walker held him hostage in the basement until a certain amount of money was raised (or was it Steve holding Laura hostage?).

Aug. 05 2014 08:07 AM
Laura Kramer from Montclair

Having coffee in my Steve Post "A rude awakening" mug. It is getting faded, so I don't use it often. The Fishko remembrance was magnificent. Totally captured my thoughts and feelings. When my sister left for a job in the southwest, not being able to hear SP's news, and Morning Music, was one of her greatest regrets. When WNYC finds the SP political edge at least a little of the time, I'll be glad to make a big (for me) contribution.

Aug. 05 2014 08:04 AM
Steve Stankiewicz from NYC

Who remembers "Free the Schneiderman Two! Or Two the Schneiderman Free!" During the ('87) Pledge Drive? The only Pledge Drives I not only wouldn't turn off, but actively look forward to when he was hosting!

Aug. 05 2014 08:03 AM
Jane from NY

I listened to Steve on the way to work amd loved that he told a riddle just before the 8 am news and then have the answer after the news. Kept you listening. Missed him when he stopped broadcasting

Aug. 05 2014 08:03 AM
Barbara Crafton from Metuchen, NJ

Who can forget his fundraising tango. I always made sure to call in my pledge during Morning Music.

Aug. 05 2014 08:02 AM

Breathe.

Aug. 05 2014 12:04 AM
Emily from Washington Heights So

I was just thinking about Steve Post the other day. He was without equal on the old WBAI. Like a novel you can't put down, I could never seem to get enough of him and his quirky contrarian humorous view of the world. Haven't heard him in the last 10 years or so and always hoped he'd re-emerge. Sadly it's not to be. RIP Steve...

Aug. 04 2014 11:45 PM
Harlan from Brooklyn

Having moved to NYC in 2000, this may be the first time I have actually felt like a ligit new yorker, I miss Steve Post. I can't say how many times I went back to the No Show page on WNYC in hopes a new season may have begun...

Aug. 04 2014 11:34 PM

RIP Steve Post. Like some other commenters I grew up on WBAI in the 1970s on Long Island, listening to Steve and I switched to WNYC when I moved to the City after college. I always thought it was funny that Steve Post hosted Morning Music, but then again, it was so much more than a music show. I too have my "rude awakenings" mug on my desk at work and there is shall remain.

Aug. 04 2014 10:51 PM
Eric Price from Peachtree Corners, GA

Just Molly and me
And baby makes three
We're happy in My Blue Heaven

Steve used this as the theme song for Room 101 at BAI. Whispering Jack Smith's version I'm pretty sure. Those were great shows. His pledge drives with Julius Lester were hilarious...

Aug. 04 2014 10:15 PM
Rosanna from NYC

Steve Post made us laugh during "Morning Music" every time he promised to play the next piece if he could manage to open the daunting plastic CD case. He had a way of zeroing in on our everyday trials & tribulations that no other announcer could duplicate, which says a lot because he was assigned to the a.m. slot previously filled by Boston's inimitable Robert J. Lurzema. We olde listeners won't forget either of them.

Aug. 04 2014 10:03 PM
Lorrie Bodger from New York, NY

Knowing Steve even a little bit, way back at WBAI in the early 1970s, was a heady experience--in every way. He was certainly the nicest of the straight men at the station, the funniest, the wackiest, and the one who was least puffed up with his own importance--yet he never altered his politics or his obsessions or his unique style. I hope he knew, even after sliding out of WNYC, how much he was remembered and missed.

Aug. 04 2014 08:29 PM
Laura G from North Haledon, NJ

I listened to Steve during my early teen years. He helped shaped my world view and cynicism of politics. My mid-left parents would ask, "Where are you getting those ideas?"! His creative style was mostly unknown to most, since his voice was not on youth main stream radio. He did not get recognition he deserved from other radio personalities (I am thinking of one, but loath to mention his name in this tribute). I reflect with warm wishes for his family.

Aug. 04 2014 07:55 PM
Kevin from Forest Hills

How bizarre, I was thinking of Steve Recently and how much fun he made my morning drive and the e fundraisers! Oh how he so wanted to be adopted by the Schniederman's during every matching pledge drive.

Aug. 04 2014 06:47 PM
Fred from Westchester

Steve was one of a kind and I mean that in the most wonderful of ways. He will be sadly missed.

Aug. 04 2014 06:36 PM
Phil D. from New York, New York

I am very sad to hear that Steve Post has died. I hope that WNYC will run some of his old shows from time to time. A few other people have commented on the funny bits he did during pledge drives. My favorites were when he had advertising exec Jerry Della Femina on as a co-host. Jerry would offer to match gifts. Steve urged his listeners to empty Jerry's pockets as a way of getting revenge for all the aggravating commercials he had subjected them to. It was brilliant strategy and very funny. Pledge drives are no longer funny, as all you listeners know. Now they're just aggravating. We love you, Steve.

Aug. 04 2014 06:25 PM
Patrick from Pittsburgh, PA

NYC without Steve Post?! Oh my. We will miss you, Steve.

Aug. 04 2014 06:22 PM
Roberta from New York City

Oh no! Apologies to Larry Josephson! "William Tell" was his theme song on WBAI! What can I say, I loved both of them and miss both of them.
Sorry, Larry!

Aug. 04 2014 06:21 PM
Roberta from New York City

"Breathe!" That was Steve Post's instruction near the end of his theme song, "The William Tell Overture," when there was a pause in the tumultuous music. I can never hear that piece without yelling "breathe!" at the appropriate moment. I'll keep on doing it and thinking of Steve.

Aug. 04 2014 06:18 PM

Patchy frogs!

Please NYC do a montage.

Aug. 04 2014 06:12 PM
Dan Ochiva from New York

Steve was always a welcome presence on WNYC. I enjoyed his crankiness, and felt that I - someone like a lot of others who moved to the City when they were older - was in the presence of a real New Yorker, someone who was there to set me straight about how things were.

While there are some great shows, announcers, and presences on WNYC to be sure, there just aren't folks like Steve on the radio anywhere anymore. Like a lot of the old New York that I came to love and enjoy, I think we've lost something core when Steve slipped away like he is wont to. He must have taken it with him.

Aug. 04 2014 06:10 PM
Jon Spayde from Saint Paul, Minnesota

Morning Music was my wake-up every weekday AM from 1985 to 1992, when I lived in the East Village and Fort Tryon. Steve Post was a perfect New York blend of cultural authority and ironic dissatisfaction with the status quo. Nobody on Minnesota Public Radio, the profit-driven behemoth in my town, dares to question public-media authority like Steve did.

Aug. 04 2014 06:02 PM
Avi from Chatham, NJ

The weather this week will surely include some patchy frogs. We love you and will miss you deeply, Steve.

Aug. 04 2014 05:59 PM
Honey Barth from Manhattan

I was very fond of Steve, who I discovered via the "No Show". His original, absolutely delightful irreverence and humor was a pleasure and escape! I greatly missed the "No Show" when it stopped running, leaving a big gap in my radio enjoyment.

Aug. 04 2014 05:49 PM
Fred from Queens

Those were the good old days. WNYC had the courage to air a morning personality that didn't chirp like a bird. Steve's Morning Music was a pleasure, and his dour wit would make me chuckle.

Steve's news summaries of the NY Times were little gems.

Aug. 04 2014 05:46 PM
Susie of several boroughs from Upper West Side

Steve Post had the heart and mind of the old NYC. Sharp, blunt, unapologetically left, funny. A voice from before the city died of sugar and real estate (Duane Reade, Bloomberg, Nails, WQXR goo, WNYC careful). Long may Steve Post, his humanity and passion, live in the memory of old New Yorkers. May his spirit rest in peace.

Aug. 04 2014 05:40 PM
Richard from Bloomfield, NJ

From 1981 to 2001, Steve Post made my mornings special. No matter how ill my mood, I could always smile, knowing that his mood would be far worse! He made fund-raising fun and giving to the station was always a pleasure. He frequently interspersed the program with blues and jazz which worked like palate-cleansers for our ears, making the next piece by Brahms or Scarlatti seem all the more fresh.
My condolences to his friends and family. He is greatly missed.

Aug. 04 2014 05:39 PM
Listener from Brooklyn, NY

I first started listening to Steve Post when he was on WBAI. He had classic shows with the likes of Buck Henry and Marshall Ephram -- and would go one wonderful tangents about Richard Nixon with his "You don't have Nixon, to kick around any more ..." intros. Whatever he did, from reading the weather to commenting irreverently on the news of the day, he was always brilliant and wonderful. His is a voice that will surely be missed. RIP

Aug. 04 2014 05:30 PM
Lisa from NYC

Steve Post was special. He is missed. Hearing him read the news, tell a story, rail against things that annoyed him, introduce music selections -- all special. Condolences to his family and friends.

Aug. 04 2014 05:15 PM
Wendy Sacjs from Brooklyn NY

Such sad news. As a longtime fan of Steve Post, I wanted to add my condolences to his family and friends, and to all of us….

Aug. 04 2014 05:09 PM
Dean from Manhattan

Many of us born and bred in New York City depended on Steve Post in the 1980’s as we prepared for another day. What we needed was not a Morning Edition special on America’s Playtime crisis, but a dose of Steve Post’s deeply rooted cynicism of everything official. It was the News New York style, not Washington. We smiled as Steve reported that the latest leak at a Nuclear Generator had “altogether now: no adverse effect on the environment.” Would that the news of Steve’s passing was so benign. Rather, his passing affects us all.

Aug. 04 2014 04:54 PM
Karen from NYC

On one show, he asked for money to be donated to the "Deposed Dictators Vacation Fund" or some thing. He said that Jean-Claude Duvalier and Idi Amin were living in penury in France and Saudia Arabia... What a pleasure it was to listen to him! Condolences to his family.

Aug. 04 2014 04:49 PM
Hoyt Spelman from Manhattan

Wherever Steve is going, and whoever he meets there, they better be ready to try to parry his verbal thrusts. Bon voyage, Steve.

Aug. 04 2014 04:43 PM
Latin from From Manhattan

Oh the humanity of it all! May you rest in peace with your original humor, intelligence, sarcasm, and quick wit somewhere in this universe. And say hi to Tricky Dick while you're at it. Condolences to,your family and loved ones.

Aug. 04 2014 04:38 PM
Julie from NYC

Steve Post was my gateway drug to WNYC. I loved his morning show and the No Show. Condolences to all.

Aug. 04 2014 04:37 PM
Jason from Manhattan

I used to love listening to him. Steve's Nixon obsession - A recording he often played of Nixon speaking bitterly to the press after he lost the California governor primary, played in the background with a mocking silly song. Nixon says: "Gentlemen, this is my last press conference. I made a flub. I lost the election. You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore."
I use the word "flub" as a private joke, when talking about making a mistake. It was not a mistake to listen to him.

Aug. 04 2014 04:37 PM
Nina Wegener from Teaneck NJ

Two of my favorite "Post-isms": During a pledge drive (as others have noted, that's when he really shone!) noting that Nina Totenberg's name is really Nina Totebag; and referring to the Metropolitan Diary in each Monday's NYT as the Metropolitan Diarrhea. I have missed him so--no radio commentator can make me laugh the way Steve could. I am sorry that he suffered so with illness and send my deepest condolences to his family and friends. Oh how lucky we all were to have had him on this planet!

Aug. 04 2014 04:37 PM
Jeffrey Tarlo from Jackson Heights

When I was in college was was hooked on WBAI. I was an avid listener to Steve, Larry Josephson and Bob Fass. I was then the general Manager of the Queens College radio station,and they were my inspirations . I listened and enjoyed Steve for many, many years. My only thought now is Steve was the best ever and will be incredibly missed. He will always be in my memory. I hope he is shaking up radio in Heaven right now and forever.

Aug. 04 2014 04:17 PM
rachel from brooklyn

I loved his show and have missed it with all of QXR's chirpiness and gravitas. Once I had a meeting in the municipal bldg when I was in my mid 20s. A friend was interning at WNYC so I went up to say hello and figured I might try the sole celebrity citing of my life. As luck would have it, the person I asked to point out Steve Post looked me in the eye with a terrific sorry-to-disappoint-you stare and said: you're looking at him.
He was the top.

Aug. 04 2014 04:15 PM
George Aronson from Morristown, NJ

Steve had a special relationship with weather forecasts. To this day, whenever I hear or see the phrase "cloudy with patchy fog," I automatically reply "cloudy with patchy frogs."

Aug. 04 2014 04:11 PM
Nancy Wolff from Montclair NJ

Some time ago Steve played "Lark Ascending" by Vaughan Williams to honor the memory of a woman (a Board member, I think) who supported him in his radio career. I hope someone on QXR will play that piece in Post's memory. He was unique and deserves a real memorial.

Aug. 04 2014 04:10 PM
Norma from Bronx, NY

How very sad. Will miss you, Steve. Thanks for the perspicacious wit and good listening. You will always be radio's treasured voice.

Aug. 04 2014 04:07 PM
Carolyn from NYC

He and Robert J. Lertzama were two of a kind. New York radio is all the poorer with their silence. May their memory never fade.

Aug. 04 2014 04:05 PM
Catherine from the Lower East Side

Hear here, Ruth from Manhattan.
Steve made the connections between art, life, and politics in a vein now cultivated by the likes of Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart. Wry relevant irreverent humor, a voice I relied on for years with "Morning Music", and was pretty devastated when the show ended, wishing for the show's return as many did. He was a true voice of New York. (WBAI gives him the most apt tribute--let's hear more from NYC in the coming days.) Steve took the opportunity to find humor in aspects of those things which might have plagued us, helping us laugh and still be able to face the day, eyes open. He was funny and had good taste in music too. My heartfelt condolences to his wife and family.

Aug. 04 2014 03:54 PM
insead

Is there a charity that the family prefers?

Aug. 04 2014 03:44 PM
Marc Grobman from Fanwood, NJ

I share the feelings of appreciation and sadness expressed, and enthusiastically endorse the hope that Sarah Fishko will create a profile broadcast of her old buddy "Post." (She never called him "Steve.")

But I have a question for the listeners of Steve's old WBAI show, "Room 101" (which I realized only later probably referred to the dreaded "Room 101" in George Orwell's "1984" futuristic novel). For a theme song, Post played a wonderful version of "My Blue Heaven" by a 1930s-40s-style crooner. Does anyone know the singer of that version he played? I thought it was Gene Austin, but the version I find on YouTube doesn't quite sound like it.

Thanks, Marc Grobman in Fanwood

Aug. 04 2014 03:36 PM
John from Flushing

I remember some very long, awkward pauses by Steve Post during "Morning Music" - usually after he said something wry or acerbic - which one would never be allowed to get away with in the present day. Dead air is a big no-no. Little do the radio experts understand that dead air from a brilliant radio host is very much "alive", and boring chit-chat from run-of-the-mill hosts is very much "dead".

Aug. 04 2014 03:15 PM
Ken

He was the best radio personality

Aug. 04 2014 03:06 PM
Andy from Long Island

Read Larry Josephson's tribute at WBAI:

Aug. 04 2014 02:59 PM
Ruth S. from Manhattan

Steve Post helped me get out of be and face the world for many years.
His acid wit and pointed commentary reassured me that I was not alone
in my thinking and his presence on the radio told me that free speech
was not an illusion. I missed him when he left the morning slot
and caught his new show at the new time whenever I could.
I had long wished that he would be restored to the morning
hours, or at least to a prominent time on the weekend. Now I
hope that archives of his show will become available. His
commentary on both music and the world in general was classic
and as relevant today as it was all those years ago.
He demonstrated that one could be knowledgable and intellegent
while still being outspoken and irreverent.
Gone too soon.

Aug. 04 2014 02:55 PM
Warner from Chestnut Ridge, NY

I loved Steve from the days of his Room 101 shows on WBAI. I'm surprised that no one mentioned his playfully dark obsession with Richard Nixon, but then again he rarely did that on WNYC. Steve's riffs on the former president were brilliantly funny. His mix of curmudgeoniness, wit, intelligence, and charm will be missed. Although Steve would probably hate to be described as charming. My condolences to his family and all those fellow Steve Post devotees who will sorely miss the brilliant radio Steve made.

Aug. 04 2014 02:50 PM
Jackie from Norwalk from Norwalk, CT

What sad news! I listened to Steve Post for years when he was host of Morning Music, and later on the No Show. His sardonic humor and intelligence were a joy. I realized that he retired due to illness, but just the other day, thought of him, and wondered what had happened to him.

Perhaps his friend and colleague Sarah Fishko could do one of her splendid studies and devote it to Steve.

My condolences to Steve's family and friends. We;ve lost a very special man.

Aug. 04 2014 02:50 PM
Nancy from Ocean Grove, NJ

I missed his show when he went off the air after September 11.

And I'm sure he would grumble and say something witty about the typo in the headline announcing his death.

Aug. 04 2014 02:39 PM
Max

Steve was great, even if he loved sandals, hated wearing shoes, and hated umbrellas. A great curmudgeon and misanthrope, a man after my own heart. And who can ever forget his classical music forays, where he would play the same piece by three different recording artists, and then ask which one was by which artist. Like Van Gogh, he was not made for this world, but to some higher ethereal plane. May the family be comforted among the mourners of Zion.

Aug. 04 2014 02:23 PM
Shelley

I loved Steve Post's "Morning Music" for his musical choices and his witty commentary. Though still a loyal WNYC listener, I have missed him every day since the station changed its format. I will always remember him playing the Paul Robeson version of "Danny Boy" during pledge weeks. Brought tears to my eyes every single time. Condolences to his family and WNYC colleagues.

Aug. 04 2014 02:12 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Dorothy from Chelsea - Well put! Maybe now that Post has passed, it's safe for WNYC to post some Post to the archives. All I have left is the memory of so many mornings with him, and a "Best of WNYC" pledge drive CD that has some brilliant Post work on it. There will never be another like him.

Warm wishes to his family.

Aug. 04 2014 01:59 PM
Yvette from Westchester, NY

Ditto most of what was already posted. Mr. Post was/is personally responsible for my being a WNYC listener and member. I stumbled onto his morning show by accident in the 90's. I loved his mix of classical music and the unexpected and irreverent. Not being a morning person it was just the perfect show for me in the morning. It always put a smile on my face which made me want to get up, go out and face the day. And eventually he shamed/reasoned me into becoming a member, despite my poor student status at that moment. I have been one ever since and am now a proud sustaining member. Sadly, as WNYC became more successful Mr. Post's presence diminished as news took over the morning airwaves. It's terrific that WNYC has become such a leader in public radio and contributed so many wonderful shows over the years. I have to say that I will always miss Steve Post's morning show though. I regret not having said "thank you" and letting him know what an impact he had on my small life before his death. My life would be so much the poorer without it!

Aug. 04 2014 01:54 PM
Gloria

Steve was the only person I've ever known who could make fundraising into art. He actually made people want to listen to pledge drives. He also raised a LOT of money for WNYC. On top of that he was funny, very smart and underneath the exterior a passionate, committed, nice guy. We need more like him. My great sympathy to Laura, his family and friends.

Aug. 04 2014 01:40 PM
Elizabeth from Roslyn Heights

I started listening to WNYC around 1990. On the mornings when I was at home doing portrait commissions I always had Steve Post on to keep me entertained. I would find myself laughing hysterically at his antics during the pledge drives and still keep hoping to hear that tango announcing his imminent arrival. Naturally I had to become a member & have been one ever since. Who is going to be the King of the Crabs now?

Aug. 04 2014 01:35 PM
Geraldine McCleave from Bronx, NY

Steve was beyond a doubt the most interesting and erudite broadcaster ever. We had a hard time understanding why his show suddenly ended but now know he suffered the cancer syndrome.
Loved his show always and profoundly missed it when it stopped. Now I get lots of news, local talk but few, too few laughs as Steve could elicit with his unusual commentary.
Sorely missed by this family. Condolences to Steve's family.

Aug. 04 2014 01:31 PM
Robert Mellman from Montclair

A great loss. He was always brilliant, but never more so than he was during pledge drives. One time, as an incentive to get listeners to make pledges, he threatened to play Pacobel's Canon in an endless loop unless an hourly goal was met. It was a successful hour, and the piece was not played. Phew!

I remember one time when he attempted to explain the inexplicable wind-chill factor as the Winchell Factor, recounting how Walter Winchell would stand on the deck of the Staten Island Ferry and estimate the temperature by holding a finger up to the breeze.

And he introduced me to the magnificent pianist, Mieczysław Horszowski, whose playing he revered.

We used to have a "Steve Post Mug" mug. I don't know where it is now. It must be somewhere in the house. I can't imagine that we discarded it.

RIP

Aug. 04 2014 12:57 PM
Nora from Athens, NY

I listened to Steve Post on WBAI.
On Saturday nights he had interesting interviews or discussions going that kept me up until all hours.
He was one of a kind.
Peace

Aug. 04 2014 12:28 PM
Judy Thoms from nyc

My husband and I absolutely adored Steve Post. So off-beat, so sharp, so funny, so on-point. He used to play Groucho Marx singing, "Show me a rose...," every verse of which ended, "Show me a rose, or leave me alone." Steve, we're glad you didn't leave us alone. Condolences to Steve's family and audience. What a great original spirit! We were lucky to have him.

Aug. 04 2014 11:34 AM
Dorothy from Chelsea

I suppose that now I should stop wishing that WNYC would swallow its collective "pride" and bring Steve back. I'm aware, as are many others, that WNYC has nothing to be proud about in their treatment of Steve when WNYC management changed. (There went my membership, never ever to be renewed.)

I have great respect for the WQXR folks but not one of them can hold a candle to Steve -- he was interesting and very funny and, I guess, too hot for an insecure management to tolerate.

Old pal, we hardly knew you and most mornings at 8am I'll think of you and figuratively doff my hat. I hope there's another world for you to relax in and observe the silliness of humanity.

Aug. 04 2014 11:15 AM
Linda from NYC

Sad passing of a truly, wonderful man. Very few people could radiate calm, a sharp wit and genuine kindness than Steve Post.

Aug. 04 2014 11:09 AM
Jeanne Fortin from Newark, NJ

Steve Post defined radio, broadcasting, media as it should be. The Morning show and the No show were reasons to love staying home on a vacation day. They are probably the main reasons I pledged to WNYC over 20years ago.
Most of what I know about classical music, I learned from him. Although he might have hated the term, he defined what it meant to be "urbane".

Aug. 04 2014 10:45 AM
Joanne from Pelham

I loved it when he played the Jealousy Tango during pledge drives until he got enough pledges. He always made me laugh with his wonderful sarcastic wit. Such sad news.

Aug. 04 2014 10:33 AM
Mitch from New Jersey

I am not even a fan of classical music, but I listened to the WNYC morning show just to hear Steve present the news. I've always missed his voice and his wit since he left. It's truly sad to hear of his passing.

Aug. 04 2014 10:27 AM
Heidi from Forest Hills

With sadness, I heard the news this morning that Steve Post no longer walks the earth. Memories abound, especially of pledge drives on WNYC's Morning Music show, when he would threaten listeners with yet another version of the Pachelbel Canon if we didn't call in with a pledge! One of his comments..."you give us five minutes, we'll take your wallet." I still have my Morning Edition coffee mug with him on it that says "A Rude Awakening" from one of those drives. Finally, I loved his theme music so much (Handel in the Strand) that some years ago, I convinced colleagues to learn and play with me the piano trio version. All in all, an influential human being, that Steve Post.

Aug. 04 2014 10:25 AM
Kate from New Jersey

Ah - how sad. Steve Post's death is a great loss to all of us listeners. Even after it was clear that he'd left radio for good I always harbored the hope that I would, one day again, hear his sonorous snide voice wafting across the airwaves. I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to all his friends and family.

Aug. 04 2014 10:18 AM
Susan from Manhattan

My sincere condolences to Steve's family, and of course to his WNYC colleagues. Gone way too soon. His was indeed a distinctive personality. I felt like he was part of my family. I looked forward to starting the day with "Morning Music", loved his newscasts and his wit; I even enjoyed his pledge drive segments! He was missed when he left WNYC, and will be more missed now. R.I.P.

Aug. 04 2014 09:00 AM