Lee Grant: 'I Said Yes to Everything'

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Lee Grant Lee Grant (Getty Images/Jack Robinson/Courtesy of the publisher)

Actress Lee Grant was born Lyova Haskell Rosenthal in New York City and spent her youth accumulating more experiences than most people have in a lifetime. She was a celebrated Broadway star and a Vogue “It Girl,” and was nominated for an Academy Award at 24. But then, she wound up on the Hollywood black list and had to fight to re-establish her career. Her memoir I Said Yes to Everything is set amid the New York theater scene of the 1950s and the star-studded parties of Malibu in the 1970s, and it tells Lee Grant’s personal story of political passion and Hollywood glamour.

Lee Grant

andrew from yonkers

Forgive my mistake, Roy as I agree wholeheartedly with your views. It is Jgarbuz from Queens whose horrible views angered me so.

Aug. 15 2014 08:44 AM
andrew from yonkers

Roy from Queens thinking makes him a 5 to one favorite to be one who did mind the horrible, racist killing of Mr. Garner in recent days. If we can not get by his backward,dangerous, horrible thinking, there is even less hope than I think.

Aug. 15 2014 08:34 AM
Quilty from Manhattan

I am confused with the listing of programming on this site for today, July 10. So, is Lee Grant selling her organs on the Black Market?

Jul. 10 2014 01:40 PM

Thank you Ms. Grant for your wonderful performances.

The enjoyment you've provided to theater-goers & TV viewers is a wonderful gift.

Jul. 10 2014 01:39 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

If she had been a "dissident" in the old USSR, her life would have been a LOT WORSE than here in the US of A. A few years in a gulag would have made the blacklist feel like nothing but a slap on the wrist, which is all it really was.

Jul. 10 2014 01:00 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I wish there was a Congressional House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) right now! As a small kid in 1954 I watched the hearings on TV. I was a little communist myself at that time,but thank God I learned how wrong I was. And I learned it living in Israel of all places! Communism created a backlash called Fascism and Nazism, and they murdered my family. If not for Bolshevism in 1917 there would have been no Mussolini in 1922 nor Hitler in 1932. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Jul. 10 2014 12:55 PM
john from office

SOOOOOOO, they were communist! Another confused hollywood jewish actor.

Red Diaper Baby

Jul. 10 2014 12:55 PM
Roy from Queens

jgarbuz from Queens, why don't you graduate from high school? Please?

To prevent a person from working just because they don't have popular political is downright insidious. McCarthyism and its supporters (then and now) are poison, nothing more.

As for Ms. Grant, I loved her in her Oscar-nominated role as Beau Bridges's mom in the racial (and prophetic) satire, "The Landlord".

Jul. 10 2014 12:44 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Wow, "Lee Grant" was really Lyova Rosenthal? OMG,another secret Jew! Who knew? And, of course "political passion" has to go with that too. Naturally.

Jul. 10 2014 12:07 PM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

Thank you, Ms. Grant, for the single most erotic sequence in a movie that I had ever viewed -- Lee Grant grinding on Leonard Nimoy in an attempt to seduce him in 'The Balcony'. It set my standard for how a woman behaves when she wants you! NET13 used to play this movie on a regular basis but that was 40 years ago. I'll have to get a copy from Netflix to see if my memory matches the reality. Thank you so much.

Jul. 10 2014 10:40 AM