'Killer Lesbians' or Victims?

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Post gave the story the headline "Attack of the Killer Lesbians" but for Renata Hill and her friends, it was a case of self-defense against anti-gay street harassment. She is joined by another person featured in the film, Terrain Dandridge, and the producer and director Blair Dorosh-Walther to talk about the documentary "Out in the Night," featured in this week’s Human Rights Watch Film Festival.

"Out in the Night" airs Wednesday and Friday as part of the Human Rights Watch Film Festival.

Terrain Dandridge, Blair Dorosh-Walther and Renata Hill

Marty from NYC

Great interview. Go Renata & Terrain! Kudos to Blair. Have a fantastic NYC premier!

Jun. 16 2014 05:55 PM
Robin Gordon

Brian's biased support of Terry Gross was disappointing, obvious and unlike his usual objective commentary. I found myself quite angry with him and disagree with him, Terry and the woman (Greek chorus, there to reenforce the views being expressed) with him on today's show, that Terry was simply being persistent. Terry was being exactly as Hillary described: putting words in Hillary's mouth and purposely distorting her comments. Hillary answered (quite eloquently and thoughtfully) the many questions Terry asked, again and again and rephrased. Terry should be embarrassed. Hillary was a class act. Why would Brian get involved in this? It was the worst form of cronyism and has made me decide to stop listening to his and Terry's shows, unless the issue some form of apology for their behavior and bias. Really bad.

Jun. 16 2014 03:58 PM
Marcia from 10011

It's was obvious listening to this on the radio this morning that Brian (who I love) has not had the constant attention of street harassers that women have. I can't leave my apartment without being catcalled - sometimes in a way that my father would say was "nice" (and yes, he has yelled at me for telling men who are "complimenting" me to shut up - and I'm 33) and sometimes in a way that makes me fear for my safety. It doesn't matter if I'm dressed for the opera or yoga class or a snow storm. Men think that they have the right to comment on - and in many cases touch - women's bodies and it is not right.

Jun. 16 2014 01:56 PM
Saskia Scheffer from NYC

#yesallwomen

Jun. 16 2014 01:41 PM
Admirer from NYC

@bonn from East Village :
Your comment is so insensitive to what was discussed here.
I hope homosexuals continue to "plague" the Village with loud bars, creative art galleries and colorful parades!
Homosexuals made that neighborhood "The Village."
And just like the rest of NYC, we see what happens when new residents push the old ones out and seek to build an iron dome, gated community around themselves in a city like New York.

Jun. 16 2014 01:14 PM

The segment topic aside, we have a post below that I see all the time by the knuckleheads on this thread-

"Tony from Canarsie - The Post? 'Nuff said."

LOL, can't argue for your side? ... have no ideas to add? .... oh, well, then just demonize the messenger.

LOL, the LEFT never notices that REASON the Non-Leftist press must so often be quoted is because the plutocrats in the mainstream liberal press choir won't cover anything that isn't politically correct. You punks should all get on your knees and thank the NY Post for providing some press freedom and DIVERSITY.

Jun. 16 2014 12:18 PM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

I really feel for these women, as a woman. It's amazing how angry and violent many men get - regardless of who they are harassing - when a woman/women express anger or ask to be left alone. Just last week, during the pouring rain, I cheek-kissed a female friend goodbye, and some guy walking behind us on the side walk said "how about a kiss for me?" and kept asking as we walked along. It struck me as even far more annoying than usual, given the fact we were in the middle of a downpour, wearing raincoats, not even looking vaguely "attractive." Of course, it shouldn't be about attractiveness, but my point is, you just want to punch these guys for forcing you to acknowledge their presence - especially in the middle of horrible weather when there is absolutely nothing about your being, as a female, that would draw attention to yourself.

I guess the only difference in approach is, I try to be non-emotional when responding to these guys, saying "will you please leave me alone?" as opposed to getting defensive and physical, as these women did. That said, many men get in street brawls when they are bumped into by another guy, so if these women felt a threat of physical violence was imminent from this guy, they had every right to defend themselves.

I hope the media coverage will help their cause.

Jun. 16 2014 12:09 PM
Cervantes

Brian asking: is this case history, is referring to THIS CASE;i'd think it should be obvious,that no reasonable person would ever assume that this won't happen again and again,sadly. she misunderstood his question,which must have been seeking to know, if the legal details of this case were finished.

Jun. 16 2014 12:04 PM
bonn from East Village

I am SO tired of ALL people coming to the Village, getting drunk, fighting, cursing, feeling entitled to destroy property and not having any respect for the residents. Do it in your own neighborhood. See if your parents and neighbors would put up with it.

Jun. 16 2014 12:01 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

@Admirer from nyc, NY Times is nothing but a fraud.

Jun. 16 2014 11:57 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Is there a lawsuit here?

Jun. 16 2014 11:54 AM
Admirer from nyc

the NYTimes went with "admirer?"
makes me wonder what do they call pedophiles and rapists at the reputable new york times?

Jun. 16 2014 11:51 AM
Tony from Canarsie

The Post? 'Nuff said.

Jun. 16 2014 11:38 AM
wtf from nyc

this underscores the street violence that LGBTQ people face...even here in NYC. At least people are now talking about it more openly and devoting media time to it, whereas a couple of years ago, I don't think this topic would have come up...

Jun. 16 2014 10:38 AM