James Patterson on Middle School and Publishing

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

James Patterson, best-selling author and "book activist," just offered all NYC public school 6th graders a free copy of his book, Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life. He talks about his role as an advocate for books, bookstores...and the publishing business in Hachette's battle with Amazon.... What book would you like to share with every 6th grader?

→ EVENT: "Amazon: Business As Usual?" James Patterson joins a panel of authors, agents and publishers tonight at 7:00pm at LIVE from the NYPL.

James Patterson

Eli from Bethel, NY

In order to encourage my kids to read I've creates accounts for them on Goodreads and asked my friends and their school's administration whether they'd put their kids on and be "friends" with my kids. We now have a weekly ritual where we sit down together and I type up the book reviews that they dictate.

Jul. 05 2014 10:55 PM
henry from md

I fully agree with your guest. Publishers are the last holdouts against the
crass commercialization and depersonalization of book culture. Even the takeovers of smaller publishers by larger companies were a step in the wrong direction. Amazon in particular threatens the existence of small bookshops and further saps the vitality of the urban street.

Jul. 01 2014 12:13 PM
Margaret from Gillette, NJ

For 5th and 6th graders and indeed everyone older, I highly recommend the novel Wonder by R. J. Palacio. Focusing on one school year in the life of a boy born with an extreme facial deformity, it is an inspiring, life-changing novel about empathy, courage, and the transformative power of kindness.

Jul. 01 2014 12:04 PM
Andrea from NYC

Delighted to hear James Patterson's advocacy of indie bookstores and reading. I have a small business handling book sales at author appearance events (Books on Call NYC, Inc.) and many attendees seem almost insulted that we charge full price for the books (which are going to be signed by the author.)They make a point of exclaiming over the price and letting us know they'll get it on Amazon I patiently explain to anyone who wishes to engage about it that Amazon doesn't make any money on books (or anything else)and that for my company to be able to offer the service that we do, we must make a profit.

Jul. 01 2014 11:58 AM
Aldona rygelis from Williamsburg, Brooklyn

When I was a kid, my reward for reading a book in Lithuanian was being taken to the movies. It was great for me.

Jul. 01 2014 11:57 AM
Jaime from Wayne, NJ

What about Audiobooks.. I'm an avid Audio book listener/reader... and my 6 year old has really started to show interest.. whats your opinion

Jul. 01 2014 11:56 AM
Peg

Any book by Katherine Paterson is a great read.

(Also sharing that I did not like "A Wrinkle In Time" - tried to read it twice because it's a classic but it just wasn't happening for me. I gave it to my children when they were in middle school and did not tell them my opinion because I didn't want to influence them. Neither finished the book - they didn't like it.)

Jul. 01 2014 11:56 AM