It's Not a Trip Unless...

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

For you and your family, what signifies vacation? Is it not a trip unless your work email is ignored for an entire week? Or until you’ve tried a new kind of food? Give us a call and fill in the blank: "It's not a trip unless ______"

This special show on Travel first aired on July 2, 2014 and was re-aired in its entirety on August 22.

Amy from Manhattan

I would think that for Brian, it's not a real vacation until some major news event happens while he's not at WNYC!

Aug. 22 2014 10:17 AM
Alex from Jersey City

I feel that I haven't truly seen a place unless I do some outdoor physical activity - whether that be simply a walk, or a hike, or swimming (as I did at the giant outdoor Swanseebad pool near Weimar, or at Lake Ouachita in Hot Springs, AR).
It gives me a sense of "place", and helps me get out of my head, my expectations, and just feel what it's like to be there.

Aug. 22 2014 10:14 AM
Nancy Green from Hoboken, NJ

I haven't really traveled until I've packed the antibiotics!

Aug. 22 2014 10:13 AM
Travelist from NYC

As soon as I graduated from high school many years ago I began to fulfill my dreams of travel. Some of my fondest memories are: waking up to the sounds of a French horn concerto echoing through the halls of a chateau-turned-youth-hostel in Dieppe, France, sleeping in a refrigerator box (in front of, what turned out to be, police headquarters) with my then boyfriend when we couldn't find a place to stay in Rome during Easter weekend, crashing my rental car in the middle of Thailand only to be saved by rice field workers who brought me to their town and gave me food and shelter for the night and stayed with me until I was able to get another car -- I wasn't hurt too badly. Discovering the secret passions of Cuban home cooks by meeting a man who brought me to stay with his mother in Havana... best experiences just happen if you allow chance to have a chance. I continue to travel this way, generally solo, a woman, and am now in my 50's. For me, travel is the essence of my life.

Jul. 02 2014 11:02 AM
Einat Lev from Manhattan these days.

It's not a real travel unless I get to do something really routine and daily, at a completely foreign place. For example, I got prescription glasses made in Rangoon. I got a haircut in Mombasa. I helped Tibetan monks in India make tea. And, of course, grocery shopping in any place where you can't read the labels.

Jul. 02 2014 10:53 AM
Mira's Mama from Glen Ridge

My trip is not complete without going to a local estate sale. The last trip was great! Mira and I went to estate sale in Beverly Hills in a 1920'a house with 3 floors of 80's poshness...I am sad to say we did not make it out to the pool house.

Jul. 02 2014 10:53 AM
Colleen from Wayne

I drove from NJ to Louisville Ky, (849miles) to attent a Huntington Disease conference. The last one I attends was in 1979, when my husband diagosed. My two sons were diagnosed in the early 2000. Myles passed last August so I felt I needed to connect with people like me. I drove straight thru only stopping for gas and a quick pee break. I ate as I drove. I think I drove cause 1. It was cheaper. 2. I could turn around!
It helped me get my grief under control. Tried to call but could not get thru. 9734956427

Jul. 02 2014 10:50 AM
kate from Glen Ridge

My daughter, Mira, trip is not complete unless she tangles with immigration.
This started when she was 18 months and she was screaming in the back seat at the Canadian border and the officials were not going to let us transport this apparent kidnapped toddler. Finally after half an hour of gut wrenching denial of us being anyone she had any filial attachment to she finally acknowledged us as her mama and papa.
Last year about this time she was stuck in the Moscow airport with no money or visa for 36 hours when her direct flight from Delhi to Newark was diverted because of a battery failure.
In May of this year she was stuck in India because I miss read her visa validity dates as Month/Date/Year not Date/Month/Year so 09/01/2014 was not in September but January so she had been an illegal immigrant to India for 5 Months which India rightly regarded as a criminal act.
Soon she will reach majority and I then my responsibilities will be to wish her good luck!

Jul. 02 2014 10:43 AM
Shuang from Chicago

All are women calling? Hm.....

Jul. 02 2014 10:40 AM
Tony

...unless I drive for hours without a destination.

Jul. 02 2014 10:35 AM
JakeAnderson from Manhattan

Since I'm not going on vacation anytime soon this whole discussion is depressing.

It's not a trip unless ... I'm on it.

Jul. 02 2014 10:24 AM
John from Fanwood

Haven't really traveled unless I've had my passport stamped. I love U.S. travel, but it's not the challenge that foreign adventures are. Language, food, wine, sights!

Jul. 02 2014 10:22 AM
urbangranolagirl from unknown

You haven't really traveled until you find yourself thinking up ways to talk your boss into letting you work remotely -- so you can permanently move to your travel destination!

Jul. 02 2014 10:18 AM
Derek from Brooklyn

I haven't really travelled until I have run into a New Yorker or a German (e.g. Burma, Africa, India), the most intrepid of travellers.

Jul. 02 2014 10:16 AM

It's not a real vacation until you say the magic words: "What day is it?"

Jul. 02 2014 10:15 AM
Tish from NYC

Until I've gotten over jet lag and settled into a new time zone that's at least 5 hours from home.

Jul. 02 2014 10:14 AM
Marilyn from Pennsylvania

Made friends with a native. We were invited to a First Communion party in Venice, Italy, befriended an elderly bar patron in Stolberg, Germany and a restaurant owner in Vienna Austria. We don't speak Italian nor German, which made communication much more interesting!

Jul. 02 2014 10:14 AM
Glenda McFeeters from East Hanover, NJ

eaten street food or in a VERY local place without other tourists.

Jul. 02 2014 10:13 AM
dan from park slope

I think of Travel as different from a vacation. Travel is when you're gone so long your itinerary is not day by day, but general destinations over 2 months or more, all of which allow for one to discover and be led by natives to places unplanned and unforeseen. It includes a level of immersion where one can pick up some local customs, culture, language, and a general knowledge of their food and art.

Jul. 02 2014 10:13 AM
Jenny from South Norwalk

YOU haven't really traveled unless you've jumped off o sailboat, in the middle of the ocean and swam with whales.

Jul. 02 2014 10:09 AM
Marlon Campbell

I haven't really traveled until..
I've had a drink at the toughest bar in town.

Love that tense moment when the room tries to figure me out.

Maybe it was too many Clint Eastwood movies growing up.

Jul. 02 2014 10:08 AM
Jonathan Hall from Queens

I haven't really traveled unless I have to speak a foreign language when I'm there.

I speak Spanish and German so that limits me a bit.

Jul. 02 2014 10:07 AM
Jane from e village

. . . until I've lived there for a while.

Jul. 02 2014 10:07 AM
James from Huntington

Unless i've gone thru passport control!!!

Jul. 02 2014 10:06 AM
Nora Rocket from Queens

It's not a trip for me until I've lingered over delicious coffee until it's time to begin lingering over delicious beers. It's the Vacation Biathlon.

Jul. 02 2014 10:06 AM
Eliza from Brooklyn

I haven't traveled until... I have crossed a line between JFK and a country of bureaucratic inefficiency!

Jul. 02 2014 10:05 AM
Sandy from New York, NY

Not a trip unless we get lost

Jul. 02 2014 10:04 AM
Nancy from Harlem

A minor league game AND thrift shopping, more specifically!!

Jul. 02 2014 10:04 AM