The Inner Game as Outer Game

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sam Anderson, critic at large for the New York Times Magazine who has profiled Phil Jackson and other coaches, and Jeff McKay, college baseball coach & former Major League Baseball coaching consultant, talk about the way some of the most successful coaches, from Jackson to John Wooden, emphasize the mental and spiritual as much as the X's and O's.

Sam Anderson and Jeff McKay

Thank you for your own air comments Louise the ESL Teacher from Brooklyn. You have inspired me to pursue a new career. I pray I will have the same love for my students as you displayed this afternoon. Be Bless and A Blessing!

Mar. 18 2014 07:28 PM
Cervantes

forgive me, but how is change automatically evolution ? ironic,that the coach that called in would say this, whilst bemoaning the lack of pedagogy in coaching today. sorry bud,but you don't sound that swift yourself.

Mar. 18 2014 03:01 PM
Bebe from Queens

I loved the segment but I have to interject that you don't have to be a religious person to be ethical or practice mindfulness. These skills, ways of thinking and types of consciousness are part of what makes us human. Anybody can learn them and practice them. I'm an atheist and I've been a meditator for years. It keeps me mentally healthy. To each their own, obviously. Ethics, knowing right from wrong, etc. are mandatory if you want to have a successful life. Belief in god is optional.

Mar. 18 2014 12:27 PM
Guy from bored

Phil Jackson thanks you for your breathlessly uncritical tribute to his mastery, Brian. Ignore Jordan-Kobe-Shaq, they couldn't have had anything to do with Jackson's front-running successes.

Mar. 18 2014 11:16 AM
Peg

First BL show I had to turn off. UGH

Mar. 18 2014 11:15 AM
Francisco from LA

.....Phil - please come back to the Lakers.

Mar. 18 2014 11:08 AM
Suzanne Dow from Hudson River Valley, NY

My deep gratitude goes out to Empowerment Coach Tim Mullen of Chatham, NY. Tim helped me to remember who I came to this world to be. His training led me to be my very own fairy god mother by challenging old ideas and limiting beliefs. In turn I recognized my value, innate talents, gifts and desires, thus my personal empowerment.
I would recommend coaching to any person who wants to live a fully flourishing life, play a big fun life game while recognizing that one has choices. Trained masterful coaches take their clients to incredible places in an efficient, fun and limitless ways.

Mar. 18 2014 10:58 AM

Enough of the Zen stuff...

Mar. 18 2014 10:02 AM