Informal, Unofficial, Thoroughly Unscientific Exit Poll: NYC Public Advocate Runoff

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Daniel Squadron is facing off against Letitia James in the NYC public advocate race. (Jessica Gould for WNYC)

It's back to the polls today to choose between the top two vote-getters in the Democratic primary to succeed Bill de Blasio as Public Advocate. Who gets your support? Daniel Squadron or Letitia James? Call 212-433-9692 or post below.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Cynthia from Upper Manhattan

Letitia James is already an amazing advocate for all New Yorkers, but especially those that are underrepresented and most vulnerable. She would keep the next mayor accountable and be accessible and sensitive to all New Yorkers and their needs. Her record is astounding in terms of integrity, ethics and transparency. Joshua Abraham Heschel suggested the opposite of good is not evil, but indifference. We have enough indifferent politicians and/or those that advocate for the rights of the rich and privileged regardless of the effects on the wider community or those with lesser resources. I have rarely found a political candidate that seems to walk the walk as well as talk the talk, but also inspire us to be better neighbors and friends. Thank you TIsh James for your tireless service!

Oct. 01 2013 08:15 PM
sara from Brooklyn

Squadron -- but I could really use that $130 today. Hopefully, the public advocate will do away with these wasteful run-offs.

Oct. 01 2013 02:53 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

I did hear in a debate Squadron say that although Latisha James who proclaims she is against Bloomberg, voted for Bloomberg policies 100+ times.

Bottom line is that it would be catastrophic if the next Mayor let the city return to what it was before Mayor Guliani - 2,000+ murders.

Oct. 01 2013 11:57 AM
Lawrence from Manhattan

DANIEL SQUADRON IS THE STRONGER CANDIDATE. In the event of an emergency, he is well suited to step in for the Mayor. He is smart, effective and will get the job done.

Oct. 01 2013 11:50 AM
Amy from Manhattan

OK, I decided. I couldn't find anything on environmental issues on Daniel Squadron's website, searching on "environment," "ecolog," "green," & "recycl." Letitia James's site has a paragraph on her environmental record on the page linked from the 1st panel in the autoscroll on the home page, & it's a good record. The environment is my #1 issue, so I'm going to vote for Ms. James.

Oct. 01 2013 11:21 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

The sell-off of NYC's public libraries is key to this race.

Squadron was favoring their sale then issued a press release for his runoff campaign kickoff saying that he would start opposing them. BUT at yesterday's City Council hearing on the sell-offs Tish James did battle grilling the BPL president Linda Johnson about Ratner's getting rights and profit from library sale while Squadron, requested to come, was missing in action unlike the other elected representatives who were there to protect the public. See:

Monday, September 23, 2013
Sell-Offs Of New York City Libraries Gets Focus In Public Advocate Runoff Race Between James and Squadron

And this video:
Tish Slams Library Sell-Offs At Hearing. Squadron MIA

Oct. 01 2013 10:58 AM
brad from crown heights

I'm voting for Squadron because he supported the soda ban and tish james opposed it. Perhaps it seems like a minor issue, but I thought the opposition to the ban, often financed by the soda companies themselves, was really unseemly and that people seemed like they were either just voting against it to show animosity toward bloomberg.

Oct. 01 2013 10:50 AM
RJ from prospect hts (in James's district)

1) The reason the budget for public advocate is so small is that successive mayors have *cut* the budgets, not wanting to have the oversight function invested in another citywide office.
2) Squadron is a decent person, but he's in a swamp (the State Senate) that needs a tremendous number of good people to fix it. How fair is it to voters for him to run--and a lot of people helped him overturn an incumbent--and then to leave after 3 years? Not even a full 2 terms! That doesn't bode well, and is an insult to voters.
3) James is also a decent person, who has spent the last 10 years in the council fighting for her constituents and the city. She will be out of public service if she loses this election, due to term limits.

Given the similarity of their positions, why should we lose 2 decent politicians when we need as many as we can get? Let Squadron embed himself in the Senate and help Liz Krueger and others get the bleeping place cleaned up. And let James due citywide what she's done for 10 years in her community.

Oct. 01 2013 10:43 AM

This runoff is MORONIC!

Oct. 01 2013 10:35 AM
Amy from Manhattan

There's a Gil Hodges School? All right!

Oct. 01 2013 10:34 AM
Beatrice from Ft. Greene

I'm conflicted. Tish James has been a great public advocate for my Ft. Greene neighborhood, but I've been put off by the way she's gone negative in the race. Danial Squadron has impressed me in debates and interviews. Given that Bill DeBlasio has said that either would be a good advocate, I'll probably give Tish James my vote.

Oct. 01 2013 10:32 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I'm still having trouble deciding. I think either of the candidates could be a good public advocate, but the debate turned me off to both of them. This may be the time I finally carry out my "threat" to vote based on which candidate sent me less campaign mail/phone calls.

Oct. 01 2013 10:32 AM
Maria from Upper West Side

Difference between the two candidates? Squadron is heavily funded by the charter school industry, and has been since he first ran for the State Assembly. In the debate last week he said he "doesn't take money from PACs." He doesn't have to, he gets so much money from people in the hedge fund and investment banking industries.
Here is the page from the NYC Campaign Finance Board for contributions from John Petry, for instance, showing donations from him and his wife to Mr. Squadron --

Here is the page showing contributions from Gideon Stein, head of the Success Charter Network --

Oct. 01 2013 10:28 AM
carolita from nyc

I'm voting for James.

Oct. 01 2013 10:26 AM

I'd like to know why the city has to pay for party primaries ? And what is the cost per vote?

Oct. 01 2013 10:25 AM
BrooklynBonanza

A $13 million runoff? Are you kidding me? The winner won't even face a Republican opponent (i.e., s/he who wins is the next Public Advocate), so why not just have the runoff on Election Day in November? Unbelievable waste.

Oct. 01 2013 10:23 AM
rr from brooklyn

Tish James, voted for her this morning. She has been my councilwoman for years and has been great, hope she wins!

Oct. 01 2013 10:22 AM
Jen from Hamilton Heights

the most difficult part of this will be getting people out to the polls!!

Oct. 01 2013 10:22 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I like both candidates. It's a shame that the campaign got so personal. Since the Democratic machine supports Squadron, then Ms. James as an outsider, should make a better advocate by default.

Oct. 01 2013 09:50 AM