Informal, Unofficial, Thoroughly Unscientific Exit Poll: Enthusiasm Gauge

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Voting at Brooklyn Museum for primary election, 2013. Voting at Brooklyn Museum for primary election, 2013. (Stephen Nessen/WNYC)

If the polls are correct, there's not much suspense in either the NYC mayor's or NJ governor's races, but how enthusiastic is your support? Call 212-433-9692, post in the comments, and be sure to fill out WNYC's voter survey below to help us tell the story of election day. And don't forget, regardless of how you voted, be sure to send us your #VoterSelfie.

ileen

Voted near 10am with no line on Upper West Side. For the first time ever, there were I Voted stickers being given out. Much as I love having a sticker, I'd go back to no sticker if I could get the lever machines back. There were no problems with the scanners where I voted, but I still don't like them. The pollworker assured me it scanned both sides of the ballot at once and it doesn't matter which way you put it in, but I miss the satisfying ratcheting sound.

Nov. 05 2013 01:12 PM

It's amazing that these ballots are so poorly designed. Also why aren't there large pre-made signs telling voters to TURN THE BALLOT OVER for proposals.

Nov. 05 2013 12:01 PM
Max from Northern NJ

@RUCB_Alum, you must live in Lake Wobegone, where all of the salaries are above average!

If you require everyone to make at least the mean salary, you will create an increasing feedback loop that will quickly have both prices and salaries escalating so fast that even the Federal Reserve Bank, which is privately owned, has no reserves, and is not a bank, even the Federal Reserve Bank won't be able to print money fast enough to keep up!

Nov. 05 2013 11:48 AM
Max from Northern NJ

I'm voting YES on Q1 and NO on Q2 (in NJ).

I believe everyone does better in the long term when Government gets out of the way. I also believe that placing a minimum wage requirement in the Constitution is a Bad Idea. Minimum wage is a legislative matter, not a structural requirement of Government.

Nov. 05 2013 11:43 AM
Dan in Buffalo from Buffalo

Ex-NYC resident voting in Erie County. Horrible ballot design on the ballot questions. I looked over the questions on the sample ballot at home, and I'm glad I did, because the dim light in the church basement in which I voted made reading the ballot nearly impossible. I voted against #5 based on the NY Sierra Club's views, incidentally-- a good deal in the eyes of the administration is a bad deal for the Adirondacks.

Nov. 05 2013 11:40 AM

Brian! The Holy Grail of minimum wage IS NOT having it tied to the CPI. (though that would end a lot of future campaign fumfering if we get at least that much.)

Please do your job and point out that the only way to not be poor (eventually) is to maintain parity with the growth in GDP - which for the last 50 years has been two percentages points HIGHER than the growth in CPI.

[As I love to point out - here and elsewhere - if minimum wage had grown along with the overall economy, it would now be $30 an hour.

If we need a benchmark to tie the minimum wage to it should be half of national GDP divided by the population - or put another way, if you work a full time job, you will be paid no less than per capita income.

Nov. 05 2013 11:16 AM
A. Hansen from Asbury, NJ

I voted for Barbara Buono because she cares about the environment, which we depend on every day for clean water, clean air and healthy food. Christie made a big mistake when he took New Jersey out of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative AND has not lived up to his promise to fund open space and farmland preservation when prices have been low and there are willing sellers. Also I don't approve of Christie's bully attitude at all.

Nov. 05 2013 11:13 AM
Brenda from Manhattan

Sure wish we could get GMO labeling here in NYS.

But with matters in Albany the way they are...

Nov. 05 2013 10:37 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Hmm, some whacky callers: This one wants to stop development because the city is "too crowded" Really?

Nov. 05 2013 10:35 AM

I just returned from the Emily Dickinson School on West End Avenue at 96th Street in Manhattan, where I have voted in every election since I moved to the neighborhood 29 years ago, but I could not vote. They have RUN OUT OF BALLOTS. Yes, they have requested more, no, they do not know if or when they will receive them, I can vote by affidavit. Whatever you think about Mike Bloomberg you must agree with him that the Board of Elections is completely incompetent and deserved to be replaced by people who can manage an election competently in a city of 8.3 million engaged citizens.

Nov. 05 2013 10:35 AM
Brenda from Forest Hills, NY

I voted for Lhota because I see DeBlasio as I see President Obama, a professional candidate who has risen beyond his level of competency.

Nov. 05 2013 10:35 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Not a New Jersey voter (obviously), but my most recent reason to oppose Gov. Christie was his ducking questions about the damage to NJ Transit cars that were stored where they could be (& were) flooded during Sandy. "We've moved on"? & not naming the person who made the decision? So much for transparency & responsibility.

Nov. 05 2013 10:33 AM
tom from Astoria

I agree with the caller on OVERDEVELOPMENT. This is permanently scarring the city, taking away beautiful old artictecture, and removing affordable housing with character. All they do is include a % of below market rate aptartments in their glass and steel ugliness . Unaffordable to most. Looks like Houston, not NYC

Nov. 05 2013 10:32 AM

Why is Christie perceived as a 'can do', 'gets it done' sort of guy?

-Christie's pick for Ed Sec'ty BLEW $440M of fed funding for education.
-Port Authority, NJTP AND GSP tolls ALL WENT UP. And rather than take ownership of the increases he blamed Corzine. (sheesh!)
-Parked the NJ Transit trains IN A SWAMP during a hurricane! Then let a middle manager twist for it even though 15 higher-ups approved/knew of the plan.
-Spent $12M on an unneeded special election in order to help today's down ticket races
-Had to give $270M back to Feds for cancelling ARC tunnel
-Took money out of Planned Parenthood

His 'master plan' - Lower income taxes by ten percent across the board (Bush Cuts II) - will drain the state treasury even further while providing only the rich with an amount of money that actually changes their consumption behavior.

Nov. 05 2013 10:30 AM
janny1006 from jersey city

I just don't get NJ Democrats who vote for Christie. Believe me, I had to hold my nose with some choices this morning, but I don't think there will ever be a Republican who I can in good conscience vote in--primarily because they are anti choice and marriage equality. Christie may be able to work across party lines and granted he is not a lunatic Tea Partier, but he failed to set up a state healthcare exchange, he's anti choice and gay marriage, and he is a BULLY.

Nov. 05 2013 10:29 AM
Rochelle from shore

I am voting for Barbara Buono because of
Kim Guadagno!!!! That is who we get when Christie goes for Pres

Nov. 05 2013 10:29 AM
Paul Robbins from Morristown

Christie didn't accomplish any of his key financial goals. He blasted Corzine for playing financial games, but NJ's bond rating remains next to last of all the states. Our roads and bridges are crumbling. Taxes continue to increase. What's love got to do with it?

Nov. 05 2013 10:28 AM
mm from Bensonhurst

Aren't there laws about how close to the polling place you can hand out flyers promoting a candidate?
Right outside my voting location in Bensonhurst were 2 people handing out stuff for David Greenfield.

Nov. 05 2013 10:26 AM
Seth Peckstiff

I voted for Haidry, because I want to see another party get more votes than the Repubs. What an insult that would be. And Bill doesn't need my help. The only Dem's I voted for were judges, buto only for lack of options. Also, I got no problem with Christie, except he's a blow hard, but hey, it's NJ -- he's their kinda guy in the scrotum of the US.

Nov. 05 2013 10:23 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

Christie is a love/hate sort, to the people who love him none of these skeletons will matter, they're, like him, not sexy. To the right wing lunatic fringe he is a RINO, they could torpedo him early in the primaries but I see him picking up steam into a general election especially vs. either Biden or Hillary.

Deblasio's appeal is simply that he is least worst choice.

Also, ITT:

People who voted for Obama because he was black and charismatic criticizing Christy voters who like him because he is fat and charismatic...

Whatever you think of Obama as president, good or bad, he wasn't elected on the back of his experience and achievements.

Nov. 05 2013 10:22 AM

@Dave From the Bronx

The questions were ON THE BACK of the ballot. Six point type, bring your readers.

Nov. 05 2013 10:22 AM

@Dave From the Bronx

Nov. 05 2013 10:22 AM
antonio from baySide

Dear lord, It's getting worse...

Nov. 05 2013 10:21 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"The same thing might happen in my neighborhood" caller, it has already happened in Greenpoint - thanks to people like you.

Nov. 05 2013 10:20 AM
Bob from in town

And, by the way, Christie is a misogynistic bully. Remember these?

I'd cut off my right arm before voting for that bully (if I lived in NJ)!

Nov. 05 2013 10:18 AM
Dave From the Bronx

I voted this morning and I saw none of the six proposals on the ballot. I am in district 69 in the Bronx and didn't have time to ask any of the people working the booths because I was running late for work, but does anyone know why none of the proposals were on the ballots at my location in the northeast Bronx?

Nov. 05 2013 10:17 AM
NYC from Harlem

I voted for Bloomberg three times. If he was running today against DeBlasio, I would vote for DeBlasio. I am voting for DeBlasio today.

New York City needs to find a way to welcome the working middle class. There are tax benefits for the wealthy...Support programs for the poor...But if you fall in the middle, life in NYC is harder.

I am hoping that Mr. DeBlasio can find a way to support the working middle class without bankrupting the City.

Nov. 05 2013 10:14 AM
antonio from baySide

Wow. I can't even articulate the amount of exasperation I am feeling...

I always believed folks are too busy and bogged down with life to make sound decisions...
But these last few callers sound very inept...

Even Brian used the barometer of being pals with Obama as a reason to be against Christie...

Nov. 05 2013 10:12 AM
Bob from in town

First caller Neal just goes to show that people vote for Christie because they like his "attitude" -- pugnacious and combative. What a dumb reason to vote for someone, IMHO. It's that kind of thinking ("I'd like to have a beer with him") that got us George W. Bush. Oh, wait, it was the Supreme Court and Electoral College that gave us W. But you get the idea.

Nov. 05 2013 10:12 AM
Robert from NYC

But is liking his attitude a reason to vote for him?! You see, this is how we end up with the kind of "leaders?" we do. Oh goodness, how sad a people are we.

Nov. 05 2013 10:10 AM
tom from astoria

To Obama/Christie voters

Chrisite recently accused an NPR correspondent as having an NPR "agenda." His appeal is the opposite of Obama: He's the 'hot' angry complainer, and people like a guy who stands up and articulates their complaints. Obama is 'cool', never to anger -- trying to be a consensus builder.

Nov. 05 2013 10:09 AM
fuva from harlemworld

This morning, went to the decades-old polling site for my address. Was a "No Voting Here" sign posted, with no further info...I received no notification of any change. When polling sites change location, seems the old site should post info about the new site...

Nov. 05 2013 10:09 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"Dante is arrested for marijuana and has his first child, while in high school, does not marry the girl"

@John: you're so right, unlike his rich, white stoner friends that never gets stopped and frisked, Dante is more likely to be arrested for weed.

You maybe right but: as opposed to a white family with, conservative, rural, christian values - like Sarah Palin's unmarried daughter and the "boyfriend" who knocked her up; the "sandinista" De Blasios, will probably consider a safe, legal abortion.

Nov. 05 2013 10:08 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

@JOHN FROM OFFICE

Yikes!! LOL, better to have you say it than me ...... I'm already viewed as a trouble maker around here.

Nov. 05 2013 09:13 AM
john from office

Things to look forward to:

1) Dante's first haircut, he gets the "Obama"
2) Wife continues her exploration of her sexuality, causing scandal
3) DeBlasio calls his wife the N word in anger in a private matter and is forced to resign
4) Dante is arrested for marijuana and has his first child, while in high school, does not marry the girl
5) Daughter comes out and the parents throw a party
6) DeBlasio visits wounded cop shooter in hospital

to be continued!

Nov. 05 2013 07:56 AM
Stephen from prospect heights

Got to my poll at 6 when it opened and the biggest issue appeared to be booting up the scanners. The workers struggled with the excuse that "it was morning." Pretty absurd. Other get the workers there earlier or have everything ready the night before. Seems like we need funding for better voting procedures.

Nov. 05 2013 07:40 AM

Buono and the Dems here 'cept for my local sheriff. I'll take the GOPer for that seat. Yes on both Questions.

I expect much uninvestigated pondering over what the Christie team would not or could not share with the Romney campaign over the next couple of news cycles. If there is fire with the smoke, his primary chances are done.

Nov. 05 2013 07:00 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

I’m supporting Warren Wilhelm (Billy “The Red” De Blasio) to be our first airhead, former radical, gullible college student council president.
Anyone who believed in (and visited) the Soviet Union, Cuba and Sandinista Nicaragua can’t be too bad, right? (All remarkable for their HOMOPHOBIA and torture of dissidents by the way.)

(http://nypost.com/2013/11/03/de-blasio-visited-communist-ussr-in-college/)