Informal, Unofficial, Thoroughly Unscientific Exit Poll: Down-Ballot Voting

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Besides voting for Mayor or Governor, how did you vote in other contests or on the ballot initiatives?

Bonnie Kirsten from Has 17th St between 8th& 9th Chelsea NY

NO to legalized gambling. (what happened with the LOTTERY, where is that money going?) NO to allowing judges to continue to work until 80, NO to land swaps, though I had trouble trying to figure out what to decide for #4 the wording and the history were a little murky. YES to servicemen, YES to funding more sewage issues.

Nov. 05 2013 08:17 PM
Patrick from Brooklyn

@SteveFromFlatbush Democracy is not supposed to be top down; it's supposed to be bottom up. You can't say "I'm not a member of a political party" and then complain that none of the parties offer a choice you like. Join a party and work to _make_ their choice better. Or even _start_ a political party: the Working Families party, the Green party, even the Democratic and Republican parties all began with a tiny group of people who wanted to change things.

Nothing ever gets better if you sit around and complain about how disaffected you are.

Nov. 05 2013 06:43 PM

@Caitlin - Your ballot still counts if you don't vote in some of the races.

Nov. 05 2013 11:50 AM
Peckstiff

"Who am I to tell poor people they should not gamble or do drugs."

I guess without a question mark, you really didn't want an answer, but, you'd be a caring person who's in it for more than just themselves and would like a better society all around where poor people don't just get poorer and poorer.

Nov. 05 2013 11:47 AM

Peckstiff
It's the only way to change the constitution.

Nov. 05 2013 11:46 AM

Caitlin from Jersey City
No it doesn't work like that. But u should inform yourself and vote.

Nov. 05 2013 11:43 AM
Steve from Flatbush

Five judgeships on the ballot, all but one of them running unopposed, most of them running under both party banners. That doesn't strike me as Democracy. It's more like an election for show: here is your one "choice". I wrote in no-one for all five, and I refused to fill in a single bubble under Democrat or Republican, except for Comptroller, where there was no third party option.

As an unaffiliated voter, I feel incredibly disenfranchised every time I go to the polls. I am excluded from Primary elections and, in this city, those elections determine who wins. What I participated in, today, is a farce. Until the Democratic and Republican parties are either disbanded or their stranglehold on politics is severely diminished, this country, this state, this city will continue to be at least as unfair and dysfunctional as it is, if not more so.

As for the ballot measures, I voted no on all of them except the one to increase compensation for disabled veterans, even though that measure was horribly written. I think that people duped or left with no choice but to go get their butts blown off in criminal wars should definitely be cared for once they're done being used up by the government.

Nov. 05 2013 11:43 AM
Dan from Buffalo

Ex-NYC resident voting in Erie County. Horrible ballot design on the ballot questions. I looked over the questions on the sample ballot at home, and I'm glad I did, because the dim light in the church basement in which I voted made reading the ballot nearly impossible. I voted against #5 based on the NY Sierra Club's views, incidentally-- a good deal in the eyes of the administration is a bad deal for the Adirondacks.

Nov. 05 2013 11:42 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I know how I'm voting on most of the NY ballot q's., but I'm having trouble understanding Q. 4--the *other* Adirondack land swap q. (which a caller just mentioned). This is the Long Lake proposal, in which land exchanges would be used to settle disputes w/people who claim ownership of parcels of land in the park. Can anyone help explain it, & the consequences if it passes and if it doesn't?

Nov. 05 2013 11:41 AM
Ricky Rodriguez from Bklyn, NY

I will vote against the land swaps.
After looking into the issue, the mining involves digging a hole ten stories deep on 200 acres which will have borders on 3 sides of the park.
I do not believe the land can be reclaimed in a way that would not damage the park and its ecology for years / decades to come.
I also learned that there is another mining site that can be used ten miles form the park.

I will not for the Long lake swap because I trust the courts over the NYS legislator.

Nov. 05 2013 11:41 AM

Who am I to tell poor people they should not gamble or do drugs.

Nov. 05 2013 11:41 AM
Ben from Westchester

I will be voting AGAINST any land transfers in the Adirondacks and AGAINST Casinos and Gaming.

I'm not actually opposing either of these on political grounds. But until we are able to clean up the campaign finance and money problems we have in government, I do not trust bringing these large corporate interests (casinos, mining companies) into our political process.

Who will make zoning decisions about these large buildings? Who will decide that these 100 acres are worth another 100 acres? People on the take.

We need serious campaign finance reform in New York State, right now. RIGHT NOW!

Nov. 05 2013 11:37 AM

I have absolutely no idea why people would vote for an "underdog" when voting for politicians. Don't people vote for policies? This is so beyond me.

Nov. 05 2013 11:36 AM
Bob from Westchester, NY

Please remind New York voters that at most polling places the proposition questions are on the BACK of the ballot form -- you have to turn the ballot form over to fill in your votes on these six questions. Don't miss them!

Speaking of cynicism, I don't think the placement of these items on the back was an accident -- I suspect that the governor and other supporters of these measures don't want the average voter to find and weigh in on these items.

Nov. 05 2013 11:35 AM
Peckstiff

Thanks to wnyc's recent coverage of the ballot propositions (what other station does that? thanks wnyc), I voted NO on every single issue. They are just bad ways to get bad things passed into law that the politicians were too scared to do themselves.

Nov. 05 2013 11:34 AM

in NY
Yes on the Judges prop - to keep Chief Judge Littman
No on casino gambling
No on the Adirondack mining swap

Nov. 05 2013 11:31 AM
Caitlin from Jersey City

Do you guys know if you MUST vote on down-ballot people/items for your whole vote to count? I'm in Jersey City and I have no idea who any of the Board of Ed people are so I don't want to vote for any of them, but I don't want my vote for governor to be invalidated because I didn't fill out the whole ballot.

Nov. 05 2013 11:05 AM