How to (Not) Make it In the Sharing America

Monday, August 18, 2014

There's a new freelance economy emerging, built around on-demand jobs brokered through apps like Lyft, Task Rabbit, and more. But is it a viable path to a real income -- and can it drive a new American economy? Natasha Singer, New York Times Sunday business reporter, helps find the bottom line.

Natasha Singer

Ben from Queens

To the current caller -- if you are unemployed and are willing to go on the radio and say you have no facility with computers and "just don't text" -- then you are not likely to get most jobs these days.

Try a non-profit org like OATS -- older Americans technology services -- or any other way to get away from "I just don't feel comfortable with computers."

Even checking people out at a grocery store or gas station now requires that you punch keys.

Aug. 18 2014 11:45 AM
Alison Byrne from Belmar, NJ

I am 36 yrs old and recently left L.A. to live with my parents in NJ because TV extra work, taskrabbit, and driving businessmen to meetings couldn't pay the bills and I couldn't land a full-time job. I've now met older people (over 50) who cannot get hired simply because of their age and are struggling to get by with odd jobs.
I made an audio story about my experiences - please lists here!:

Aug. 18 2014 11:43 AM
Pat from nyc

This happened to my boyfriend after he lost his job. He's did odd jobs like being a studio audience member, helping people move, photo booth setups, catering setups and showing apts. He was always tired because he had to get up really early and work late. Thankfully he has finally found something more stable with health insurance.

Aug. 18 2014 11:29 AM
steve from NJ

sounds like freelance slavery to me.

yuk!!!

Aug. 18 2014 11:27 AM
Matt from Brooklyn

One answer is to charge more, raise your rates until you're making the corporations pay... retirement savings, vacation, sick days. My plan, hope I can make it work.

Aug. 18 2014 11:26 AM

No, on demand jobs don't guarantee income + retirement investment + safety margin for down time.

Aug. 18 2014 10:29 AM