How Caffeine Helps, Hurts, and Hooks Us

Friday, March 21, 2014

Caffeine is the most popular drug in America. Murray Carpenter why caffeine has such a powerful effect on us—it can boost our mood and improve our athletic performance. He looks at the various ways caffeine is delivered to the body, how it affects us, and why it’s not regulated. He’s the author of Caffeinated: How Our Daily Habit Helps, Hurts, and Hooks Us.

Murray Carpenter

LucyB from NJ

Are coffee grounds a safe fiber to add to recipes? I enjoy the taste.

Mar. 21 2014 02:59 PM
William

How is Caffeine measured generally in lets say a cup of coffee, is it the weight of beans, or is it the diluted volume of liquid?

Mar. 21 2014 12:33 PM
M from Philly

Does caffeine tolerance change as we age?

Mar. 21 2014 12:26 PM
Jerry from NYC

there were some issues w/decaffenating process, not healthy to drink, were they resolved?

Mar. 21 2014 12:23 PM
Nick Peters

I had a small stroke 2-1/2 yrs ago and the Dr.'s say a migraine caused it. The caffeine I drank for years caused me migraines throughout my life in hindsight. In years past Dr.'s just put me on large dose Tylenol and Ibuprofen taken together. Since the stroke I have cut out most of my caffeine and take prescribed drugs in combination to hopefully prevent future strokes.
I've worked with other people that drink WAY to much caffeine and I hope they don't have the problems I have to deal with the rest of my life.
One person I know would brew a pot of coffee in the morning then let it stay on the machine all day until it looked like tar then reheat it the next day.

Mar. 21 2014 12:23 PM
Ana from Bergen County

Does your ethnicity (genetic background), height or weight make a difference on how caffeine affects us?

Mar. 21 2014 12:22 PM
korgy from Brooklyn

tea definitely does not affect me the same way as coffee, and some teas can have more caffeine depending on how long and strong you brew -- but i'm pretty sure that coffee is digested differently in my digestive system, more like solid food than liquid. pretty sure most people experience this.

Mar. 21 2014 12:22 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Tea has less caffeine than coffee, except for Celestial Seasonings' Morning Thunder, which has more caffeine & less tannins than coffee. I can testify from experience that it's really strong.

Mar. 21 2014 12:21 PM
Phil from Long Island

Why does caffine cause heartburn in people who suffer from GERD?

Mar. 21 2014 12:21 PM
korgy

Mar. 21 2014 12:21 PM
Chris Garvey

Chocolate has a small amount of Cannabinoid. It also slows the degradation of naturally occurring Cannabinoid in the brain.
So Chocolate gives a marijuana-like high.

Mar. 21 2014 12:20 PM
Chris Garvey

Chocolate has a small amount of Cannabinoid. It also slows the degradation of naturally occurring Cannabinoid i the brain.
So Chocolate gives a marijuana-like high.

Mar. 21 2014 12:19 PM
Phil from Long Island

Why does caffine cause heartburn in people who suffer from GERD?

Mar. 21 2014 12:19 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Is the stimulant in yerba mate (called "mateine" on the package) related to caffeine, & how? Some people say it causes wakefulness just as well as caffeine w/more focus & less jitteriness.

Mar. 21 2014 12:17 PM
Joe from Englewood, NJ

Is it true Starbucks coffee often has twice the amount of caffeine compared to other businesses?

Mar. 21 2014 12:15 PM
tom from l i c

I recently cut my coffee amount in half two weeks ago. Not going cold turkey, but greatly reduced, yet Ive had a back ache ever since which seems related. Is this possible?

Mar. 21 2014 12:09 PM

decaf has small amounts of caffeine

Mar. 21 2014 12:09 PM

espresso has less caffeine because of the volume. i shot is less volume of liquid than a normal cup of coffee

Mar. 21 2014 12:09 PM
Bill from UWS

I've heard that a shot of espresso has less caffeine than a typical cup of brewed coffee, perhaps because the pressurized steam used to make espresso doesn't extract as much caffeine. Is this true?

Also, is there any caffeine in Decaf? If so, how much?

Mar. 21 2014 12:02 PM