Hot Ticket: Library Story Hour

Friday, May 23, 2014

Heidi Mitchell, Wall Street Journal contributor, talks about the increasing popularity of toddler story time at public libraries in the city. While libraries are expanding programming to meet the demand, some branches have had to resort to ticketing systems for crowd control for the free programs.

Story Time at NYPL's Webster Branch

New York Magazine Video about Libraries as Community Centers and Their Petition for More Funding from the City

Heidi Mitchell

Rachel from Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for covering this story! As a librarian and parent who has taken her child to storytime, I can attest to how much fun they can be as program leader or as a participant! I didn't get to do storytime as much as I wanted to when I was home with my son due to an erratic nap schedule, but we went to the library to check out stacks of books every week when he was a baby. I never knew which books were going to be his favorite, so I got to test-drive lots of different titles all for free!

And not all library programs have lines or require tickets. Some neighborhoods just have high-saturations of young children and parents eager to take advantage of programs.

May. 23 2014 02:42 PM
Zachary from Butler, NJ

Hi Brian,

I'm in the process of self publishing a children's picture book, and I have it loaded on my iPad at the moment.
My 19th month old asks for it to be read to him every morning now before I go to work.

My book will be a traditional book on an electronic media, but no read along or audio files. Forcing parents, or care givers to read the book to the child. As a society I feel we've lost a skill for learning by not reading to our children. It helps them to learn communications skills and to develop problem solving as well.

I love the idea that the libraries have started these gatherings. Group and social gatherings will help strengthen this country learn how to communicate once again.

May. 23 2014 11:47 AM
Jessie Henshaw from Way Uptown

Brian, you ask where the wave of interest came from... The one thing you can know for sure is it came from a specific local "new idea" that spread contagiously, an "invasive trend", a "viral cultural event". What's you'd need to find the origin is good enough data to see where the growth emerged from!

May. 23 2014 11:44 AM
why we moved to burbs

sad but true nyc too expensive for parents to be likely to have family around.

May. 23 2014 11:42 AM
Aaron from Bushwick

We used to do a DIY parents meetup at the Irving library in Bushwick when my first son was a baby. Non-structured time is great for kids (and parents), too. We've got a second baby now, so I'm looking forward to getting the meetup going again in the fall.

May. 23 2014 11:38 AM

Please tell your guest that the plural of instance is actually incidenceseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseseses.

May. 23 2014 11:34 AM
mr nyc

We have this in northeast Queens too and there are no lines or tickets or competition. It's just a friendly, fun environment. What this writer is talking about sounds like a nightmare.

May. 23 2014 11:32 AM
genejoke from Brooklyn

Story time is awesome. I've read to kids (and to my daughter as well), and it's very rewarding.

May. 23 2014 11:31 AM