Home Health Aide Industry in Flux

Monday, June 02, 2014

nurse, home health aide, home care (Getty)

The Bronx is home to a huge number of home health care aides. As WNYC focuses on health care in the Bronx this week, Carol Rodat, New York policy director for PHI PolicyWorks, Ancil Alexander, a peer mentor to home health aides and Carmen Zeno, home health aide with CHCA, explain why the industry is in flux and how it's changing, and how the Affordable Care Act has affected both home health care and the aides who provide it.

Ancil Alexander, Carol Rodat and Carmen Zeno

MrsTBerry from Bronx NY

Hello Brian,
I listened to your show today, we all know that the home health aide program was developed in part for most welfare receipants to get off the system and make a way into the workforce, the job is a stepping stone for immigrants like myself to get a start, I'm a nursing student just graduated getting ready to takes board license I was surprised to hear that the Bronx has the largest population of home health aides. What does that say about the Bronx. The reality of life is this if you want paper you have to get paper to make that high paying paper. America is a land that worships the paper. So if people in the Bronx fail to get up they will always be the borough that is the lowest paid and the borough that will see the least progress. I'm a home health aide it's a thankless job you are paid so little, it's slave job because no person can support them self not even a family on this pay.

Jun. 02 2014 02:19 PM
BD

We use home health in our family. The workers make $11 an hour and we pay $24 an hour to an agency. It's a very expensive undertaking for most families, especially when the family members need full time home care and it seems to be a thankless job for the home health workers. I'm hoping all of this changes as the boomers age and work through the options available to them. I'd like to see the workers make more money and see it become more affordable to families so that their loved ones can stay at home.

Jun. 02 2014 11:48 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Robots and computers are the answers to everything. They never get needy or greedy and can't pay themselves anything. What for?

Jun. 02 2014 11:45 AM

In 2012, Blankfein got $21M and probably wasn't fingerprinted!!

Give it to Carmen, fingerprint Blankfein and throw him in PRISON!!

Jun. 02 2014 11:42 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I only pray that when I am in that state in a decade or so, that there will be robots from Japan that will be able to take care of me. I hate the very idea of having to be a burden to another human being regardless of what they are being paid. And I don't want people putting their paws on me. I'm really hoping and praying for robots to take over.

Jun. 02 2014 11:41 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Thank you, Brian, for that question about how workers are supposed valued & how much they're paid. I think it also has something to do w/who is hired for this kind of work.

Jun. 02 2014 11:41 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Jun. 02 2014 11:40 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Jun. 02 2014 11:40 AM
pliny from soho

the agency gets twice that amount

Jun. 02 2014 11:40 AM
Josie from Mott Haven

I am a visiting nurse in the Bronx and the home health aides(HHAs) are an essential lifeline for our patients. They are vastly undercompensated for the level of care they provide. It is a thankless job. As a nurse, I am humbled in the presence of many of these hardworking and dedicated individuals.

Jun. 02 2014 11:37 AM
FranciL from NYC

It is infuriating to listen to Brian Lehrer keep interrupting the guest! A huge contrast to another interview last week where he allowed a man with a speech impediment to struggle his way through what he was saying.
Mr. Lehrer, why don't you show the same respect to this guest???

Jun. 02 2014 11:31 AM

Carmen and is a SAINT and deserves Lloyd Blankfein's paycheck!!

Jun. 02 2014 11:28 AM
Cervantes

i think that ALL people should be paid a living wage. since these are such poorly paid women for the most part;the quality that you get varies greatly. my aged mother, has had a cavalcade of mediocrity to lunacy;mixed in with a couple of gems as far as health-aide workers. it's a tough balance the way it's set up;in that, it forces socially conscious people,to choose between caring for their parents, or these hard workers. and, that's not fair to anyone,nor should it have to be part of the equation.

Jun. 02 2014 10:55 AM