Nor'easter Day 2: News, Traffic Maps and Storm Tracker

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 07:43 AM

You're already tense enough about the upcoming holiday - and now a coming storm could really throw a monkey wrench in the works. Don't worry - we've got you covered, whether you're traveling by air, ground or just want to watch this nasty weather approach.

• The National Weather Service says the storm could dump up to four inches of rain on the city by the time it tapers off, on Thursday morning. Windy conditions will continue throughout the day Thursday. Meteorologist Lauren Nash said the high winds — with gusts up to 50 miles an hour — could impede car and air travel. Winds will be strongest on Wednesday morning.
  • The Federal Aviation Administration reports due to wind and weather conditions there is a Traffic Management Program in effect at La Guardia Airport. This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of about an hour.
  • The FAA's information about flight delays can be found here. Most of the major airlines, including United Airlines, American Airlines and JetBlue, are amending their waiver policies to allow customers traveling over the next few days to change their flights. Airlines are also urging travelers to check the status of their flights early and often, and to leave more time than usual for traveling.
  • The MTA says it's bringing in extra workers, securing construction sites and cleaning debris from drains in subway tunnels and on bridges and tunnels. The agency says it will have crews and supplies ready in case high winds and icy conditions develop. There will also be crews in place to clear fallen trees and downed wires along the Metro-North and Long Island Rail Roads.

Driving? Traffic information can be found below.

Tags:

Elijah from NY

There was strong winds!

Nov. 27 2013 04:27 PM
Kei from New Jersey

Don't you folks have anything better to do?
Like maybe getting ready for Thanksgiving?

And let me know when you've got everything
in the world to your liking-

Good luck with that little project!

Nov. 27 2013 08:05 AM
Victor Swenson from Summit NJ

Hey, it's November, in the northeast.....it's raining....quit the bellyaching.

Nov. 27 2013 07:58 AM
Rob from Queens

This is not a Nor'easter. They form in the Gulf or Atlantic. This is the storm that spawned huge and deadly tornadoes in the midwest before arriving here. At least get the headline correct.

Nov. 27 2013 07:51 AM
JenWaFa from The Forgotten Borough

I think some of you should relax, have some tea, a snack. One little "holy crap" and you're delicate sensibilities are so affected? Holy crap, are you uptight. Oh now, I'm kidding, I'm sure you're just having a moment. It's the holidays, we understand.

Nov. 26 2013 11:39 AM
Patricia Stone from New York

I am tickled that Kate used the phrase "throw a spanner in the works"! Maybe WNYC will help bring this phrase across to this side of the pond!

Nov. 26 2013 10:05 AM
marc leavitt

I have to agree with the expressed sentiment. "Crap" is an ugly word; it always was, whether as the name for the game of dice, or as an intensifying exclamation of disgust, or as a euphemism for feces. Its use in this context is puerile; you don't need unimaginative exclamations to draw attenmtion to a story about the weather. How about "Heavy nor-easter possible?" I think that just might draw attention to the story. 'Nuff said.

Nov. 26 2013 08:21 AM
Corny O'Connell from NYC

My problem with the headline is that this in not a Nor'easter.

Nov. 26 2013 07:05 AM
Andrew from Westchester

Holy crap, people need to lighten up! It is ok for public radio to occasionally use "salty language" (and we are talking a dash here, not Justin Wilson)! The whole point is that people overreact to storms and the media fuels it with hyperbole. Now be good New York intellectuals and read the headline ironically! Happy Friggen Thanksgiving!

Nov. 26 2013 06:51 AM
superf88

actually i was trying t-o gauge whether i need to pull the trigger on that shiny new generator i've been eyeing.

wnyc's editors have made the call to use this word as an urgent shorthand for "buy that generator today."

i approve of the word -- but this better be a shiststorm.

Nov. 26 2013 06:44 AM
Sick Of It All from LCD, USA

Does EVERYTHING have to go low now? WNYC has joined the race to the bottom. Aren't there any copy editors at this station? Is this the best you could do, Kate?

Good luck with the next pledge drive! I'll be sure to tune out once the begging and pleading starts.

Nov. 26 2013 01:55 AM

I like a salty exclamation as much as the next person, but this headline narrowly defines audience as millennials and the extra-crunchy set.

Nov. 25 2013 05:57 PM

I agree with the previous comment, it lowers the "conversation" to use the "cr**" word. But equally, I want to say that I am NOT feeling tense about the upcoming holidays, as the start of this story implies we all should be/likely are. Elsewhere I saw a coach promising to teach hosts how to get their Thanksgiving guests to "avoid stabbing each other". Is the level of enjoyment and pleasure of family and friends (and strangers) getting together so low that we need all these negatives about Thanksgiving and the other holidays at this time of the year? Yes, the endless repetitious music everywhere annoys me somewhat, but I still enjoy seeing people I care about and celebrating together, and that includes enjoying making food preparations.

Nov. 25 2013 03:34 PM
H Alcaro from New Jersey

I use "low class" words, so I'm no prude, BUT why is it necessary to label the storm with the word crap? A public radio station should be able to come up with better description language.

Nov. 25 2013 03:22 PM