Hit By Scandal and Mocked By The Boss, Christie Needs 'High Hopes'

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

On Wednesday, the day after his State of the State speech, Governor Christie’s daily schedule announced he would have no public appearances.

Last year, it was a very different Chris Christie. On the morning after his State of the State speech Christie was interviewed on the two biggest TV network morning shows – The Today Show and Good Morning America, plus Morning Joe on MSNBC and Imus In The Morning on Fox Business Network. He followed it up with a news conference down the Shore.

Likewise, on the morning after the 2012 State of the State address, Christie appeared on CBS's This Morning and Imus In The Morning. He did a town hall meeting in the afternoon.

Also, this year, there was no Christie video released the morning of the speech. Often, his staff posts a YouTube video beforehand that sounds and looks like a movie trailer meant to build excitement. And this year’s speech didn’t sound like Chris Christie, either. Gone were the claims that he had transformed New Jersey from a broken state into a model for the nation. Instead, Christie began with an apology for bridgegate.

"Without a doubt we will cooperate with all appropriate inquiries to ensure this breach of trust does not happen again," he said. "But I also want to assure the people of New Jersey today that what has occurred does not define us or our state."

Patrick Murray, political scientist at Monmouth University, conducted a poll last weekend showing that Christie’s approval rating had dipped in the wake of the scandal involving close aides orchestrating a traffic jam as part of a political retaliation scheme.

His speech reflected that. There was just one new policy proposal, no laugh lines, and no attacks on his political enemies.

"There was no bombast," Murray said.

It’s only been weeks since the Republican governor won re-election in a blue state by 22 points. He took 51 percent of the Hispanic vote, propelling him to front-runner status for the Republican presidential primary in 2016. And he became chairman of the highly influential Republican Governors Association.

After the scandal broke, Christie had a tough weekend, associates say. But he is moving on from this -- slowly. He will be down the Shore tomorrow to make a Sandy aid announcement, reprising his role as New Jersey's leader but not taking questions from the press. And on Saturday he will try to get his mojo back as a Republican player by headlining a $1000-a-head fundraiser in Florida.

But Christie will continue to wince for the near future. Democrats have hired an attorney who investigated and successfully prosecuted former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. And if all of that wasn't bad enough, Christie is now enduring public ridicule from the Boss -- the one who really matters.

Christie’s favorite late-night host, Jimmy Fallon, and his idol, Bruce Springsteen, did a "Born To Run" parody just hours after his state of the state address. It's called "Gov. Christie's Traffic Jam":

Sprung from cages on Highway 9 we got three lanes closed so Jersey get your ass in line.

Whoah baby this bridgegate was just payback, a bitch-slap to the state Democrats.

We gotta get out while we can. We're stuck in Gov. Chris Christie's Fort Lee New Jersey traffic jam.

Christie, who has attended more than 130 Springsteen concerts, plays a lot of Bruce while working in his Statehouse office. And so he may find some solace in Springsteen’s new album, released on the day of his State of the State address. It’s called…"High Hopes."

Tags:

More in:

Elizabeth from N.Y.

Addendum: Whay do these politician's always think they will get away with denying any knowledge of the situation
in question? Is it their inflated sense of power? Do their ego's blow up to the size of the 3rd version of Superman
in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Jan. 20 2014 04:52 PM
Elizabeth from N.Y.

Tre´clever & right on point.

Jan. 20 2014 04:16 PM

I agree with Matt above, WNYC seems quite slanted in its obsession with this Christie story. There are plenty of corrupt NY politicians that didn't get this much airtime, including the dig with Bruce. Not classy or necessary. He has made a mistake, obviously, he is taking responsibility, whether or not he was directly involved, which is a lot more than most politicians. Why not report on that? Not an easy task with the whole nation watching. In addition, he's allowing an investigation. What more do we want at this point? Don't get me wrong, as a resident of NJ I am mad that our tax dollars & time have been wasted with this event, its totally corrupt.

Jan. 17 2014 09:58 AM
Matt, Bedstuy from Brooklyn, NY

I'm not surprised WNYC is pressing this story so hard- they clearly have an axe to grind on Christie, and were reporting on the issue since long before it broke nationally- but they've really been riding this thing pretty hard, and featuring this article on the site today, with the same Jimmy Fallon thumbnail, it's all starting to feel quite slanted. Obviously a big story for Matt Katz, but this particular article seems fairly empty of significant news.. and the line: "poll last weekend showing that Christie’s approval rating had dipped" with out numbers or specific explanation to provide context seems weak. Christie has always annoyed and offended me, I'm enjoying the fact any scandal would be hurting this jock politically, but the reporting from WNYC, and Brian Lehrer on his show (which I love), really feels quite biased and slanted. Would hope for something more discerning from WNYC, or at least something that doesn't glaringly fit right in to the often misguided Republican claim of a liberal bias in the media.

Jan. 16 2014 12:54 PM
Amy

Amazing lyrics Josh from Brooklyn. The first two lines of the first, second, and fourth stanzas are brilliant. Any performers want to take this on?

Jan. 16 2014 12:19 PM
pippin

So many options to parody Christie. I love the line 'everlasting dis'.

Jan. 16 2014 11:47 AM
Josh from Brooklyn

Love the story. My friend Brian and I wrote this version, but lacked the connections to get the Boss to perform it.

In the day they sweat it out on the streets of my runaway political scheme
At night I sit in my mansion of glory dreaming presidential dreams
Stuck with road rage near Highway 9, slow-wheeled, brake light speckled, and stressing out from the line
Baby I worked the cones and my flacks, it's a payback, the Mayor’s suicide rap
I gotta pull the strings while I’m the Guv, 'cause hacks like us, baby we were born to run

David let me in, you’re my childhood friend, here’s a patronage position
Just set your mind to vindictive hits and wait for the word from Bridget
No matter that this could set me back, still gonna run till I drop, baby I’ll pass off the flak
Stick your neck out for me on the wire, 'cause baby I'm just power hungry viper
And I gotta know how the White House feels
I want that homemade donut smile, wanna know if the executive chef is real

Beyond the Turnpike my semi-skilled goons jam up the boulevard
The Serb phones Baroni, gets radio silence, and we all try not to laugh too hard
The damn subpoenas issue bold and stark, lawyers mull how to save my campaign wish
I wanna fire you, Bridget, on the news tonight in an everlasting dis

The highway's jammed with Buono voters on a last chance commuter drive
Everybody’s trapped on the road tonight ’cause there’s no turn off to find
Together, people, can you live with my sadness? I'll bore you with all the searching of my soul
Someday girl, I don't know when
We're gonna get to DC where we really want to go and we'll walk in the sun
But till then hacks like us, baby we were born to run

Jan. 16 2014 11:08 AM