'Gangnam Style' and the Global Influence of South Korea

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

The "Gangnam Style" dance (YouTube)

The song “Gangnam Style,” is more than a catchy tune, it’s part of South Korea’s elaborate and effective strategy to become the world’s number one pop culture exporter. Euny Hong gives an account of how South Korea has become a global leader in business, technology, education, and pop culture. Her book The Birth of Korean Cool: How One Nation Is Conquering the World Through Pop Culture reveals how a nation that once banned miniskirts, long hair on men, and rock music has begun to mass produce boy bands, soap operas, and smart phones.

Euny Hong

Oppa Dum Dum Style from D.O.R.K.

Korea is conquering the world with truly awful pop music and maudlin soap operas?!! GIve me a break!

How about eliminating the greed and corruption in Korea that lead to the heartbreaking deaths of the children who drowned on the Sewol? THEN worry about conquering the world with regurgitated regressive garbage pop culture.

Aug. 05 2014 05:59 PM
Laura from New Jersey

My kids introduced me to a specific K-Drama a few years back and I got immediately addicted. I had previously been more a follower of J-Pop, but I found that K-Pop addicting, and somehow more accessible. Absolutely I have explored the cuisine and products of Korea much more since this exposure, as well as exploring some less frivolous topics, such as the Korean adoptee community. I think Korea has been very astute.

Aug. 05 2014 01:00 PM
Anonymous from the USA!

Korea will NEVER conquer cool (in any form) in the United States!

Aug. 05 2014 12:59 PM

…how 'bout the bizarre and overwhelming Korean preoccupation with American-style Evangelical Christianity???

Aug. 05 2014 12:58 PM
JFreely from NYC

Please discuss more differences between Korean pop culture and Japanese-anime, J-Pop vs K-pop, thanks!

Aug. 05 2014 12:58 PM
Paul Lee from north brunswick nj

im a korean-american, korean cannot possibly be pop exports because they would need to be first admired for their art and culture. Korea is still a typical asian culture rife with inequities ingrained as tradition. Even, my father told me Koreans are not good inventors, but excellent copiers. I see korean pop music videos on tv and they are all copies of american pop images, even the music is a copy of euro-pop against a phonetically difficult languange, not quite the elegance of english.

Aug. 05 2014 12:56 PM
tom LI

Would the message go out to all Interviewees - stop saying, "That's a really good question..." After being asked a question. Everyone being interviewed on this station does it over and over. Cease and desist!

Who or what "interview" grooming advisors is teaching this annoying habit?

No @$#&@!!?@ its a really good question, it wouldn't be asked otherwise! And if you're not going to call out the really bad ones, or simply good ones..why place a really good value on the others!

Aug. 05 2014 12:55 PM

Korean tech is always a catch-up player...Never a definer of the next-level. They can improve an existing device...Haven't seen them really creating a category.

As for leading in culture - film, literature, audio-visual arts - I haven't seen it.

Aug. 05 2014 12:48 PM

This is no different from the cool japan concept

Aug. 05 2014 12:47 PM