Ghost Train No More: G Train Service Increases in NYC

More G trains will roll on weekday afternoons, and weekend M service will reach Manhattan

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 11:48 AM

G train, Kentile Floors sign, brooklyn (Nils/flickr)

One of NYC's fastest-growing subway lines just got a service bump: the MTA is now running G trains every eight minutes — instead of every ten — from 3pm to to 9pm on weekdays. That translates to a 25 percent increase.

And weekend M service just got a boost, too:

(These service adjustments are based on an MTA report from last year, when it originally announced it would be making some tweaks.)

But the G train euphoria may only last so long: due to Sandy-related repairs, the MTA will shut down G train service between Queens and Brooklyn for five weeks later this summer.

Perhaps the video below, which chronicles the range of emotions experienced by G train riders, will provide some solace. (h/t Brokelyn)

Tags:

lop

Oh Tal that's why I love you.

Come to streetsblog buddy. I miss you over there.

Jun. 12 2014 05:00 PM
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY

Lop, about 60% of the funding for mass transit actually comes from the tolls that the MTA controls, not the fares. Whatever you say about driving being heavily subsidized, I can say the same about mass transit, which is just as much or even more. Also, I find it an irony when you say that you oppose subsidies for one thing but will support for other things as well. I will only agree to taking away subsidies for driving when the same is done for public transportation. In reality, a fare hike is peanuts compared to how much the tolls are, so quite crying foul to that will making us motorists feel punished for paying an arm and a leg just to get around for having no choice but to drive. One other thing, it's the tolls that keep the fares so low, which is why there is a call to either stop this or even the tolls altogether. On a side note, the MTA is a state agency, so I do have a say as they represent all of downstate NY.

Jun. 10 2014 02:39 PM
JOSEPH P. WALL from BRONX

One day, at the Queens Plaza subway stop, some man came up to me asking if the G train stops at Queens Plaza. I told him that it used to many many years ago but, not anymore. The old Board of Transportation built the G line to Continantal Avenue for a reason and I think that the M.T.A should stop counting heads and instead extend the G line back to Continantal Avenue where it used to terminate.

Jun. 10 2014 11:39 AM
Matt

That's great - but is it just because the whole line is pretty much gentrified at this point?

Jun. 10 2014 11:13 AM
Ace

I think it is time to reexamine and expand "rush hour" service. 9-5 is no longer the reality especially for those using public transit the most. I should think maintaining additional trains for at least one hour earlier and one hour later for a start.

(@tal:we're going to ground 1 F15 for 1 week to pay for the expanded G Train service)

Jun. 10 2014 09:37 AM
lop

@Tal

Just like the roads!!

Jun. 09 2014 10:20 PM
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY

Of course we know who will be doing most of the funding and it's not going to come from those that use it the most.

Jun. 09 2014 08:00 PM