French police launch raids after attack outside Louvre in Paris

Email a Friend
French police secure the area Feb. 3 near the Louvre Pyramid in Paris, France after a French soldier shot and wounded a man armed with a machete as he tried to enter the Paris Louvre museum. Photo by REUTERS/Christian Hartmann.

French police secure the area Feb. 3 near the Louvre Pyramid in Paris, France after a French soldier shot and wounded a man armed with a machete as he tried to enter the Paris Louvre museum. Photo by REUTERS/Christian Hartmann.

French police launched a terror investigation Friday after a man tried to attack soldiers on patrol outside the Louvre Museum in Paris.

The Associated Press reports that police are conducting raids in the city, though police would not say exactly where they were occurring.

Officials say a man carrying two bags tried to enter an underground shopping mall near the Louvre Museum around 10 a.m. Friday. Guards stopped the man, who then rushed at the soldiers wielding a machete and shouting “God is great” in Arabic.

Paris Police Chief Michel Cadot told reporters that one of the soldiers stationed outside the museum fired five bullets, wounding the man, whom Cadot said “represented a direct threat.”

One of the soldiers sustained a minor scalp injury as a result of the attack.

From an EU summit in Malta, French President Francois Hollande said there was “no doubt” the attack was terrorist in nature. He said that the situation is now “totally under control,” but added that the threat to France remains.

France has been under a state of emergency since the Paris terror attacks in November 2015, which left 130 people dead.

READ MORE: A visit to Paris one year after devastating terror attacks

There have been a number of attacks in the country since then, including one by a man who killed 86 and wounded more than 400 people last year when he rammed a truck into crowds celebrating Bastille Day in Nice.

French Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said the anti-terrorism section of the Paris judicial police and the General Directorate for Internal Security are investigating Friday’s incident.

Brandet said tourists who were inside the museum were held in safe areas before they were allowed to leave.

The attacker has been hospitalized and is expected to be interrogated. Authorities found spray paint cans in his bags, but no explosives.

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo praised the actions of the soldiers, who are part of the “Sentinel Operation,” an anti-terror security operation instituted after the 2015 terror attack on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

“I would like to pay tribute the extreme reactivity and efficiency of police forces and military forces of the ‘operation Sentinelle,'” Hidalgo said, adding that the injured soldier’s actions likely prevented a future attack.

The post French police launch raids after attack outside Louvre in Paris appeared first on PBS NewsHour.