Frank Langella as King Lear

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Frank Langella talks about playing King Lear in BAM’s production of Shakespeare’s tragedy “King Lear.” It’s playing through February 9.

Frank Langella

Katherine from Brooklyn

I am thrilled that I caught this interview with Frank Langella. He is wise, brilliant, and surprisingly modest. I particularly loved his analysis of Lear as disillusioned rather than senile, and his remarks on teaching and sharing his experiences with young actors. Can't wait to see him as Lear.

Jan. 29 2014 10:33 PM
David

Charlie Rose: The thinking man's Larry King. :-)

BTW, for any of you who haven't seen Frank Langella's movie "Robot & Frank," I highly recommend it.

(I met Frank years ago when I was a limo driver in Los Angeles. Very nice man.)

Jan. 29 2014 05:17 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

As well as his warm humor....

Jan. 29 2014 12:59 PM
Ed from Larchmont

Wonderful take on Lear.

Jan. 29 2014 12:54 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Of all the actors and stage & film people Leonard Lopate interviews, Mr. Langella is consistently the most interesting simply to listen to. I think its his honest introspection and modesty combined with his deep experience and quiet thoughtfulness.

Brava Mr. L!

Jan. 29 2014 12:46 PM
Ed from Larchmont

That Lear was a tough, brutal (perhaps) father is interesting, explains the behavior of the two daughters, and then the long-suffering Cordelia. Nice explanation.

Jan. 29 2014 12:45 PM
Ed from Larchmont

An interesting commentary on Jesus: take away all my possessions, and I am still a king. I think he means delusional not in the mentally ill sense but in the lying to oneself sense.

Jan. 29 2014 12:44 PM
Michael from Boston

I loved witnessing Mr. Langella's performance as Lear to weekends ago at BAM, and now I have to questions for him:
(1) what is it that makes the play so difficult to pull off effectively? (2) Presuming that you've seen many productions of it, which (when, where) was your favorite?

Jan. 29 2014 12:35 PM
Breaking Good from Eastchester

I have to chime in. I watched this interview too. Charlie Rose is awful. Truly. He's self-important, has no emotional intelligence, and is an insufferable boor. I wish they would take him off the air. Langella, in complete contrast, was wonderful and put up with incredible rudeness with perfect aplomb, perfect politesse.

Jan. 29 2014 12:32 PM
cervantes

Charlie Rose,is a glorified twit. he's an unwatchable horrible interviewer.

Jan. 29 2014 02:38 AM
David

Irene, you wrote: "by a continually interrupting Charlie Rose." It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who notices how RUDE Charlie Rose is to his guests as far as not letting them finish sentences.

Jan. 29 2014 02:05 AM
Irene Ballinger from Leawood, KS

I am not eloquent enough to do justice to the absolutely brilliant participation of Frank Langella in a 1/27/14 TV interview by a continually interrupting Charlie Rose (bless his incredulous heart). Incredibly amazing was Frank's consistent HUMILITY in his efforts to discuss the evolution of the craft of acting in his life, unwilling, again and again, to make perfection or fame the goal. The glorious mystery of the absence of self importance, especially at this stage of recognition in his career (and the current success of King Lear), goes beyond my ability to take it in or qualify it. In this present self aggrandizing world of greed for glory, I was so grateful to learn the secret word: focus.

Jan. 27 2014 04:01 PM