Kathleen Horan, Reporter, WNYC News
Kathleen Horan is a staff reporter for New York Public Radio, covering the neighborhood beat. She also reports 'Reset', an ongoing series documenting police-community relations in Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
More than 100 families left homeless by Sandy who've been staying in hotels didn't get kicked out on Friday as expected.
The Red Cross is stepping in to cover the cost of their rooms until they can find permanent arrangements.
One of the refugees is 7-year-old Najhja Benton-Lowe, whose family has an apartment lined up to move into later this month. She said that hotel life has been hard."We can't cook because we will set the fire alarm...we have to be quiet because they might call the manager on us and we'll get kicked out of the hotel," she said, looking serious.
Najhja has been staying at The Manhattan Hotel in Times Square, as have about a half dozen other Sandy families The city had informed about 140 families earlier this week that funding for the program had run out.
The York Disaster Interfaith Services Organization is distributing the money to the various hotels. Peter Gudaitis with NYDIS said the non-profit was intending to help the families cover the cost when the Red Cross stepped in to make a million-dollar donation. He said a few families may have moved out before they were informed of the extension.