Here's How to Vote on Election Day in NY & NJ

Monday, November 04, 2013

Vote here sign (Katy Warner/flickr)

Tuesday November 5 is Election Day. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m in New York and 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. in New Jersey. Here's what you need to know about voting in New York or New Jersey.

New York

1. Who can vote?

You must have registered to vote by October 11th to vote in the New York general election on November 5th. Check the New York Board of Elections page to see if you are registered.

2. Where do I vote?

Look up your polling location on the New York City or New York State polling location website.

The New York City Campaign Finance Board launched a new mobile platform NYCvotes.org.  This site will also bring up poll site information.

TIP for New York City voters: When you write down your poll site address also note the number of your Election/Assembly District. These two pieces of information will help you move faster through your polling site, skipping the line at the information desk and going straight to the table where you sign the poll book.

3. How soon will we know who won?

The polls close at 9 p.m in New York and we should know the results within a couple hours after the polls close. For live election results after polls close, check out our website wnyc.org/election.

New Jersey

1. Who can vote?

You must have registered to vote by October 15th to vote in the New Jersey general election on November 5th. Check the New Jersey Board of Elections page to see if you are registered.

2. Where do I vote?

Look up your polling location on the New Jersey polling location website.

3. How soon will we know who won?

The polls close at 8 p.m in New Jersey and we should know the results within a couple hours after the polls close. For live election results after polls close, check out our website wnyc.org/election.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Harriet from UWS -- District 76

Because of the small type, I used a BMD (Ballot Marking Device) yesterday for the first time. My poll worker didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for it. (Someone else stepped in to help me.) And the machine barely worked. The touch screen was not at all sensitive to touch. I practically needed to pound the machine to get my votes recorded.

Nov. 06 2013 10:30 AM
Ruth Mays from Cinnaminson, NJ

You need to tell people that it is an offence to use a cell phone in a polling place in New Jersey. If you are caught doing so, they will tell you to turn it off. If you do not do so, they are to call the police. This is what I was told at pollworker school.

Nov. 05 2013 12:57 PM
GT Nexus from NYC

In honor of election day, The “Hanging Chad” of Efficiency – Elections and Cloud Computing discusses the voter experience and how voters "hanging chad" still clings to 20th century technology in the 21st century. http://www.gtnexus.com/blog/cloud-technology-platform/the-hanging-chad-of-efficiency-elections-and-cloud-computing/

Nov. 05 2013 11:02 AM
Beatrice from Ft. Greene

Ballot scanners were not operational at the Brooklyn Tech location in Ft. Greene. I agree that the paper ballots are not ideal. The text is so small that at 40+, I had to hold the paper up right next to my face to even read it. The magnifiers provided are not very helpful.

Nov. 05 2013 10:13 AM
Harriet NJ from Union County

will be my first time voting for a third-party candidate. I'm voting for the Green Party in NJ for governor, Steve Welzer. I am making a statement about how awful our two-party system has become and can align with many of Welzer's concerns.

Nov. 05 2013 10:12 AM
Steve from Manhattan

We should go back to the old lever voting machines. The new system doesn't provide for secrecy. anyone can look over your shoulder to see who you voted for and poll watchers can look at your ballots as you put them into the scanner. I also worry that someone with technical savvy could figure out a way to correlate voters with specific ballots. Thank G-d we live in a place where the powers that be don't look to see who each individual voted for - we need to keep it and protect ourselves that way by instituting reforms to restore secrecy to the ballot!

Nov. 05 2013 09:52 AM
Brooklyn_Mom from Brooklyn_101

How much did NY tax payers 'invest' in the new scanning technology? Yet again, the machines were down at my polling location.

Nov. 05 2013 06:30 AM