The View from the Top of One World Trade

Thursday, March 06, 2014

Time Magazine was given exclusive access to be the first to photograph from the top of One World Trade. Jonathan Woods, senior editor of photo and interactive for TIME, explains the technology behind the project and what it was like to see the city from the tallest building in the West. We found the WNYC offices from the panorama. If you can find your office or house, tweet us the link or post in the comments below.

#NYCFromAbove: A Photo Project of Our Own

Update: See Our Favorites Here!

We're asking you to take a photo of NYC from a high vantage point -- your roof, your work, a bridge, wherever -- and send it to us. Tag it with #NYCFromAbove on Instagram (search) or Twitter (search), and we'll collect our favorites on the site!

Video: How Time Got the Panorama Shot

Jonathan Woods

Arwen from Midtown Manhattan

Nifty!! My company is moving downtown in a couple of months and I can see the roof of the new building. Way, way, WAY down there.

Hey, note to Fotios Padazopulos and Tal Barzilai: You do realize that nowhere in WNYC's story other than in the tags is the building referred to as the "Freedom Tower," don't you? And that its official name is One World Trade?

Mar. 06 2014 02:56 PM
Fotios Padazopulos from Athens,Greece

The new building should have the original name for respect to the nation and those who perished. Unfortunately, some things are not really important when interests come to play.

Mar. 06 2014 02:40 PM
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY

I know I will get grilled for saying this, but here it goes. I will never find this so-call Freedom Tower to be a great building. Not that long ago, I found it insulting that the CTBUH named this the tallest building in the nation when its roof doesn't even surpass that of the Willis (originally Sears) Tower. Just think of this as allowing for someone to stand on their tippy toes and claiming that counts. The name itself is in insult, because freedom doesn't even describe the process when it was actually picked behind closed doors despite how much the public despised it, and I know this from going to those hearings. What the people really wanted was the Twin Towers rebuilt, but got snubbed on it, and I didn't need some graffiti artist like Banksy to tell me this. For more on the real story, I suggest reading Sixteen Acres and the Outrageous Struggle for Ground Zero by Phillip Nobel as well The Ground Zero Debacle: Failing to Rebuild the Twin Towers by Joe Wright for a collection of essays by myself and others who knew what really went on. Overall, I will always see this building as nothing more than illegitimate replacement to what should have been there, which was the Twin Towers, plus allowing for this to be built is almost like building a statue of Osama Bin Laden himself to thank him for destroying something that meant so much only to never have it back along with a vapid memorial that only the families of terrorist will love, but this is just me saying this, so please don't get defensive on this.

Mar. 06 2014 01:22 PM
James Rose

Posting pictures on Instagram and Twitter require small pictures that are square. Why limit the photos when some must be seen larger or in a panorama format like these?

Mar. 06 2014 12:58 PM
Helen from nyc

thanks so much Brian Lehrer for highlighting this! I got dizzy trying to find my building, but i did locate the roof. amazing resolution, great job TIME!!

Mar. 06 2014 12:38 PM
galit from manhattan

Thanks so much Johnathan!!! This is amazing. It brings tears to my eyes to see the top of the spire so closely and see our beautiful city from the view we lost so many years ago. Thank you with all my heart:)

Mar. 06 2014 11:57 AM