Doris Kearns Goodwin on The Bully Pulpit

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pulitzer-Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin talks about the intense friendship of Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft—a close relationship that ruptured in 1912, when they engage in a fight for the presidential nomination that divides their wives, their children, and their closest friends, and had vast political repercussions. Goodwin’s new book, The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism is also the story of the muckraking press.

Doris Kearns Goodwin

margaret graham from nashville

To Jake from Nassau: I agree, but how about banning "actually" before "absolutely?" Try to find anyone who can get through a sentence without at least one pointless "actually."

Nov. 16 2013 05:18 PM
buying the book

[[SKV from NYC

Pulitzer-prize-winning plagiarist. I'm appalled that anyone still listens to Doris Kearns Goodwin. She disgraced herself and her profession by stealing others' work and presenting it as her own, and never even had the decency to admit her fault and make restitution.

Disgusting. Turning this off.
Nov. 14 2013 12:32 PM]]

You should really explain what you're talking about. I don;t have the time or energy to decode your accusations.

FWIW, I've added this book to my Amazon basket, just as I added Team of Rivals when I heard Obama was reading that book.

She seems to know what she's talking about.

And it's always fun to hear Lenny (flirt) with a smart woman.

Nov. 15 2013 01:59 AM
W. A. Robison from Natchitoches, LA

"Muckraker" makes sense to have been stolen from PAUL Bunyan, considering the probable amount of muck that Babe may have produced, but I think it was JOHN Bunyan's Muckraker in "Pilgrim's Progress." Enjoyed Doris Kearns Goodwin as always (I don't care if she does do some plagiarism; it's hard to be a good historian without a touch.)

Nov. 14 2013 09:12 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Amy -- you're welcome!

Nov. 14 2013 01:50 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Tony, if you're still reading, thanks for the info. Oh, *that* child! Yes, I've heard of her. I'd certainly have recognized her name if Ms. Goodwin had mentioned it--I'm surprised she didn't.

Nov. 14 2013 01:30 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Amy from Manhattan -- the child, Alice Lee, survived and was quite a character in her own right. She died in Washington, D.C. at the age of 96.

Nov. 14 2013 01:05 PM
Bob from Westchester, NY

@ SKV: Actually Ms. Goodwin has both publicly apologized to Lynne McTaggart (in Time magazine in 2002) and paid a large settlement to her over the plagiarism accusations -- at least according to Wikipedia. Perhaps Rand Paul can lift this info from Wikipedia verbatim in his next speech, and then challenge Ms. Goodwin to a duel to settle the matter.

Nov. 14 2013 12:59 PM
Jake from Nassau County

Hi, Lenny, you're doing a great job keeping your guests from the endless "y'knows"; Next target: "absolutely" - it is not a synonym for "yes". You should issue a firm edict to your guests that the A word must be restricted to discussions of philosophy or mathematics.

Nov. 14 2013 12:51 PM
Amy from Manhattan

When Roosevelt's 1st wife died in childbirth, did the child survive? Grow up? What happened?

Nov. 14 2013 12:50 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Nice to know that someone remembers the great Lincoln Steffens.

Nov. 14 2013 12:34 PM
SKV from NYC

Disgusting. Turning this off.

Nov. 14 2013 12:32 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I think part of the difference in the way the press treats the president, & politics in general, has to do w/the major media's being in fewer & richer hands today.

Nov. 14 2013 12:32 PM