DIY Movement Gets Government Investments
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Reporter Jon Kalish has been covering the “maker” movement, the do-it-yourself scene, for years as it’s expanded into virtually every American city and every avenue of American life.
Kalish joins Here & Now’s Robin Young for a look at some of the latest developments in DIY, including investments from state, county and municipal governments to create “maker spaces” to help spur start-ups.
More Info On Projects Mentioned In This Segment
- DIY.org kid’s website
- Amphibious vehicle video
- Recycled recumbent bicycles
- Blog for recumbent bike maker’s just-completed cross-country ride
- Derek Diedricksen’s tiny house blog
- Tiny house summer workshop
- Columbus maker space
- Somerville, Mass. maker space
- Philadelphia maker space
- Burlington, Vt. maker space
- Jon Kalish, New York-based radio reporter, writer and producer.