Imagine a newly constructed hospital with room for over 300 occupants, sitting idle and standing empty in a time of great need.
By the mid-1920s the Bronx Hospital, originally founded in 1911, had outgrown its original facility and began construction on a state-of-the art hospital at Fulton Avenue and 169th Street. The new hospital was a “monument to the medical profession” and boasted the latest in medical technology and hospitable accommodations for patients: “Everything is in readiness for rendering service, the humanitarian service of saving lives and ministering to the needs of the ill and injured. Every room, every utility compartment, every laboratory, every scientific device of proved merit, in fact, every needed facility of modern hospitalization stands ready to become useful for the particular purpose for which it has been conceived, contemplated, planned and constructed.”
The now familiar pink and white building was completed in 1930, but was unable to open until 1932 due to a lack of funds and stood empty and unused except for guided tour groups. In this radio address, Isidor Teitelbaum, a member of the hospital’s Board of Directors, issues an impassioned plea for donations.
In 1962, privately-owned Bronx Hospital joined forces with Lebanon Hospital to become the Bronx-Lebanon Hospital.