David Rees: It's The Little Things

Monday, August 11, 2014

In his new TV series "Going Deep," David Rees investigates the science and process behind very basic tasks, like tying a shoelace or ice melting. He talks about the little things and teaches Brian - and you - to fold the perfect paper airplane. Here are the visual instructions for David's perfect plane.

Update! Video of David Teaching Brian to Fold the Plane

David Rees

Larry from Long Island

What size paper do you start with?

Aug. 13 2014 01:32 PM
mike from long island

a new low for the BL show. whats next for the radio, sleight of hand magic tricks?

Aug. 11 2014 09:26 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Oops, that shape is *not* how I typed it in...I put more space btwn. the backslashes & the slashes, & to the left of the whole thing!

Aug. 11 2014 05:50 PM
James from Bronx

This guy's directions were great up until the 4th fold...then he lost me

Aug. 11 2014 03:18 PM
jc

The link to the visual instructions is a link to how to *throw* a paper airplane, not fold one. Please provide a link/video to the folding instructions!

Aug. 11 2014 02:46 PM
Connie from nj

@Frances Genovese from NYC

The next fund drive, I will thank my lucky stars that we have Brian Lehrer on the radio, EVERY DAY no less. And I'll continue my sustaining membership.

Aug. 11 2014 12:35 PM

Thank you David R. and Brian L ! My 2nd construction attempt as per instructions, I am happy to report, just made a perfect soft (crash) landing into the Hudson River here in Catskill, NY -- launched from our river deck. Perfect... and Thank You Capt Sulley Sullenberger for the inspiration. Now to find the best bio-degradable / eco-friendly paper --- as this promises to provide much entertainment.

Aug. 11 2014 12:29 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I think he meant the shape of the Superman symbol:

__
/ \
\ /
\/

(OK, that's a little too long, but you get the idea.)

Aug. 11 2014 12:15 PM
Frances Genovese from NYC

This is the most juvenile, outlandish waste of air time I have ever listened to before I shut it off. Only nerdy egotists who think their every word and every misguided activity matters would dare to put crap like this on the air.
Next fund raiser, think how much you want to donate to endorse junk like this.

Aug. 11 2014 12:02 PM
Mike from Tribeca

Nice to know that not all NatGeo programs are about ghost hunting, killer monster fish or prison inmates.

Aug. 11 2014 12:01 PM
David from Manhattan

Yeah fold four/superman-cape was not well instructed. I got lost here.

Aug. 11 2014 12:00 PM
Liz Adams from Central NJ

Ach! a lousy audio teacher. He kept on referring back to folds by numbers, which he had failed to warn us we might need! I had NO IDEA what fold was what number. And far from enough time to hear the instruction and try to carry it our before he plunged into the next one. Nice try, hopeless radio. Sorry.

Aug. 11 2014 12:00 PM
Connie from nj

When he said that folds 3 and 4 met, I knew something was wrong.

Aug. 11 2014 11:59 AM
Tony from Canarsie

This interesting (and certainly different) segment reminds me of verbal, i.e., diagramless, origami, which believe it or not is an actual thing.

Aug. 11 2014 11:57 AM
gene from NYC

Something got mis-expressed around fold 4; even Brian got confused, and he's right there.

I too am lost.

Aug. 11 2014 11:56 AM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

This is torturous to listen to. Not really appropriate for radio.

Aug. 11 2014 11:55 AM
ezra

lost me at fold 3

Aug. 11 2014 11:54 AM
Emilie from Manhattan

You lost me after the first four folds. A superman cape? Nope, didn't get there.

Aug. 11 2014 11:53 AM

I think I'll wait for the video... hopelessly lost...

Aug. 11 2014 11:52 AM

The audio of the paper-folding is cracking me up! Mr. Rees may have a lot going on but audio-only instruction is NOT his metier.

Aug. 11 2014 11:52 AM

ahh! i missed the beginning of the paper airplane! where is the rewind?! (JK) Hopefully they will post this segment.

Aug. 11 2014 11:52 AM

Going deep(ly) self-indulgent.

Aug. 11 2014 11:51 AM
Pat from nyc

I think this guy's talent is convincing people that these things are worth spending money on. Really slap the word "artisanal" before anything and they justify charging ridiculous amounts of money for rubbish.

Aug. 11 2014 11:49 AM