Dave Barry Took His Daughter to a Justin Bieber Concert and Lived to Tell the Tale

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pulitzer Prize winner and bestselling author Dave Barry talks about navigating family and parenthood—and what happened when he accompanied his daughter to a Justin Bieber concert. In his new book You Can Date Boys When You’re 40: Dave Barry on Parenting and Other Topics He Knows Very Little About he writes about family trips, bat mitzvah parties, and dating to funeral instructions, the differences between male and female friendships, and the deeper meaning of Fifty Shades of Grey.

Dave Barry

Miscellaneous from NYC

You people need to lighten up. Mr. Barry is a humor writer, not a philosopher. I've read quite a few of his books and they are so funny people move away from me on the subway because I'm laughing too often. Sheesh!

@ jgarbuz from Queens: You are an eternal pessimist. Maybe you need to be rebooted.

Mar. 04 2014 02:01 PM

Aren't ALL of Mr. Barry's previous visits proof enough that he should NEVER be invited back to the show!?!??!

…geezus, PATHETIC!

Mar. 04 2014 01:58 PM

GEE!! Dave Barry...!!!

zzz

Mar. 04 2014 01:56 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Wow. So many people can't tell the difference btwn. having the stereotypes & making fun of them!

Mar. 04 2014 01:22 PM
sanych

Considering that Barry is an author, his comments on "Fifty Shades" may be interpreted as vagina envy.

Mar. 04 2014 01:18 PM
Amy from Manhattan

The Rolling Stones don't move in their concerts? You mean Jagger doesn't move like Jagger anymore?

I had no interest in reading "50 Shades" even before hearing how it ends. I hope Dave Barry's statement that 100 million women bought it doesn't fall under his frequent statement "I am not making this up"!

Finally, I'm an editor, & I *love* the Mr. Language Person columns! I have the one that starts "I cannot overemphasize the importance of good grammar" followed by "What a crock. I could easily overemphasize the importance of good grammar" on the wall of my office, along w/2 others. I still can't read all the way through it out loud without cracking up.

Mar. 04 2014 01:02 PM
genejoke from Brooklyn

As a father, I find this segment and author to be very disappointing. He laughs at his own dull observations and dumbs down everything to something along the lines of a movie where Ice Cube bumbles around trying to be funny.

Mar. 04 2014 12:55 PM
Barbara from Brooklyn

Please let me know when this outdated, sexist conversation ends.

Mar. 04 2014 12:52 PM
JB from NYC

I just had to turn off NPR listening to this interview because I couldn't take it any longer. Two middle aged males talking about how "terrifying" young adolescent girls are is not something I expected from NPR. You can, and should, do better.

Mar. 04 2014 12:50 PM
maya from Brooklyn

I can't believe there are still people writing books promoting the same tired gendered stereotypes. It's apparently easy to raise a boy, except that he's so afraid of boys because he knows how awful they are - seems like the take away should be that it's more difficult to raise socially healthy boys.

Mar. 04 2014 12:50 PM
Pat from Pittsburgh

I envy this man. My partner and I would love children, but our rent is ridiculous and out of grad school or pay leaves much to be desired. I worry I won't make the cutoff (tick tick). My partner still has time.

When you're young, they tell you you're too young. When you're older, they tell you you're too old. Sigh

Mar. 04 2014 12:49 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

"My" son. MY daughter. My dad. My mom. Primitive and eventually going into the rubbish bin of human history.

Mar. 04 2014 12:49 PM
Kate from Brooklyn

I turned the radio on and wondered who was spouting this ridiculously outdated banal sexist tripe, and logging on I find out that, naturally, it's Dave Barry. Give me a break. They give Pulitzers for this stuff??? The only surprise here is that Dave Barry has a kid who is 14; I thought he had to be 75 by now.

Mar. 04 2014 12:48 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Thankfully, in a few decades babies will be produced in factories and no one will have any obligations to, or control over anyone else. Sex will just be fun with no obligations whatsoever. No marriage; no family; no kids; no obligations. Just robots.

Mar. 04 2014 12:47 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

It's only natural. Girls become pregnant. Boys become child-support payers.

Mar. 04 2014 12:45 PM
Amy

Overbearing parents try to shield their daughters too much for as long as possible and then wonder why they aren't grandparents yet.

Mar. 04 2014 12:04 PM