DA Vance Makes Tackling Domestic Abuse a Priority

Friday, March 14, 2014

At a time when crime numbers are down in New York City, domestic violence cases are up. Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. explains how his office plans on addressing these kinds of crimes, and how the newly opened Manhattan Family Justice Center might help.

Cy Vance, Jr.

Anon from manhattan

I am scared to death of these false accusations and in my position i live in daily fear of the violence and the threat that I will be accused falsely because I am a man . It is so unfair that I have to live this way. This is New York City , I can barely pay the rent on my apartment of 30 years let alone move out and find another place and pay for that also. I am literally a hostage in my own home. This woman has been in my home for 3 years. I am sure there are other's facing the same problem women and MEN as well.. there has to be something outside of sending people into the dirty , nasty and filthy jail system for these issues. The court system processes many innocent people. IT is Filthy, Nasty and dirty and leave people with no dignity... I want to find out more about L from NY's comment. DO you mean that these false accusation cases, even when dropped are still kept on record?

Mar. 14 2014 12:42 PM
L from NY

When I practiced law in NYC in the 1990s thru early 2000s, I had a family court judge ask me to bring a legal action to get people's names OUT of state databases of persons accused with either no evidence, or just the accusation made "ex parte" (at Family Court, not involving police on scene), i.e., a one-sided accusation that goes into state databases but she (the judge) did not think was THE DATABASE OF "ACCUSED" PERSONS WITH "ORDERS OF PROTECTION ON A TEMPORARY BASiS" (30 days or until a court date) ARE EVER EXPUNGED IF THE ACCUSATION WAS THROWN OUT, RECANTED OR WITHDRAWN OR AFTER A TRIAL FOUND UNFOUNDED/WRONGFUL.

It IS very easy to make a false accusation and there is no penalty for doing so, though it is technically perjury. The consequences can be horrific particularly if the allegation is treated as the SAME AS one that could equally be heard in Criminal Court (as many Family Court accusations could be and sometimes are transferred to that Court to be heard). Family Court is serious even if it sounds less serious than Criminal Court; they have some concurrent jurisdiction and enormous power to affect divorce and custody/steer property decisions. And reputation. THE ACLU recently settled a case with NYS to expunge or indicate acquittals in Criminal matters, but I do not know if Family Court was included. Mr. Vance might wish to work on this with them. And penalties for repeated wrongful accusations that take time away from SERIOUS domestic abuse and custody/maintenance issues.

Mar. 14 2014 11:15 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Allison

When someone is stealing your child and putting your child in the hands of another man - her lover - most biological fathers do get enraged. Maybe a mother doesn't mind if her child is stolen and put into the hands of another women to raise, but fathers often will get enraged and sometimes violent. I know a mother won't get violent if her child is stolen and placed into the hands of a step mother to raise, but a father often will.

Mar. 14 2014 10:51 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Anon

More than 50% of "domestic abuse" charges is the result of women trying to rob a man of his property and children, and usually such women have a lover ready and waiting on the side. The tactic is to so aggravate and instigate the poor victim (the fool husband) into finally striking out, so that he finally gives her a black eye, in which case the police are called, the fool taken out, the kids and home are practically hers and for her hidden lover.

Mar. 14 2014 10:46 AM
anon from manhattan

DA Vance side-stepped the entire premise of that caller who called 911 on behalf of a neighbor, and observed overwhelming police presence that deterred any action by the alleged victim. The police are trained to use violence to resolve anything and everything, and trained to protect their own at any cost -- even if the cost is that the victim is unable to work with them, out of fear or being overwhelmed. It would not be hard for two NYPD officers to approach a domestic situation, with all the other cops right outside or down the hall -- out of sight but right there and easily called in if need be. This may well be the best way to deal with a panicking and traumatized victim... Same with rape victims, when 6 or 8 male police officers show up... They need to use psychology, not abuse it by ignoring it.

Mar. 14 2014 10:46 AM
john from office

Why are Courts in areas of "people of color" always called Justice Centers?? Always looking to placate.

In Harlem there are serveral Justice Centers, once know as Court Houses.

Mar. 14 2014 10:45 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Mar. 14 2014 10:44 AM
Allison from Brooklyn

Can you elaborate on why domestic violence cases are among the most dangerous for police to respond to, thank you

Mar. 14 2014 10:43 AM

I am a psychotherapist who had support groups in Manhattan for several years during the 2000s. One of the most troubling trends I saw was same-sex domestic violence. Does the Family Justice Center address this problem as well?

Mar. 14 2014 10:41 AM
Anon from Manhattan

This is the link to the NY state Domestic abuse website and the relevant quote:

"Male domestic violence victims who come to law enforcement attention are more likely to be future suspects for domestic violence than female victims."

WIth statements like this.. where do the male victims of females domestic abuse / violence have to turn? Should Trevon Martin be killed because the stats say that young black men commit more crime? Should male victims have to endure and suffer because of this bias?

Mar. 14 2014 10:40 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Mar. 14 2014 10:39 AM
M. L. from Croton-on-Hudson, NY

The caller's comment about the police not taking her abuse claims seriously reminds me of a documentary I saw on PBS about domestic abuse committed by police officers, and the failure of a police department to investigate a suspected homicide because the man involved was one of their own. With that in mind, having a family justice center makes a lot of sense.

Mar. 14 2014 10:38 AM
Jamie Chase from nyc

Not to take away from legitimate domestic violence victims or the serious problems and challenges they face, but domestic violence can be abused.

examples

immigration - if someone applying for a green card gets divorce from a citizen they risk loosing their chance of getting a green card. making a domestic violence claim takes care of that problem.

if you want to get your spouse out of the marital home, you need to make domestic violence claim.

It's probably not the norm for people to lie about domestic violence, but it most likely happens often enough.

can you ask Mr vance to address this issue.

Mar. 14 2014 10:36 AM
Jamie Chase from nyc

examples

can you ask Mr vance to address this issue.

Mar. 14 2014 10:35 AM
Anon from Manhattan

I have been the victim of domestic violence for years. I am a male and the perpetrator is a female. I have even been falsely accused, arrested and ( of course charges dropped because there is no evidence) meanwhile I have had to go to the hospital because I was temporarily blinded and subjected to verbal, emotional and physical abuse as well as destruction of my property. As a male there seems t o be no resources for me and NY state even says that Men that report domestic abuse are primary suspects for domestic abuse. This is intolerable.. it seems the only choice I have is to get this woman arrested. ( she is 2 inches shorter than I am and strong enough to lift me up and carry me around) I believe that because of the level of violence of this person that they are emotionally disturbed.. I really can't bring myself to have them go thru the awful horror I went thru when I was arrested and subjected to being kept away from my home of 40 years which has been vandalized and turned into my horror. This woman threatened me with using false accusations of violence to get a U Visa from the DHS. There has to be something to be done to help people like us. ESPECIALLY for men. I NEVER used violence in my 30 years of relationships and I don't want to . BUt the system set up as it is now means I have to endure this. I can't afford to leave my home and the system is aligned against me as a male.

Mar. 14 2014 10:31 AM